PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2019 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Just placed onl;ine order for £44. Heavy stuff, tins and pop as well as lots of spices. Also ordered some re-chargeable batteries and charger the other day.
  • jam2019
    jam2019 Posts: 70 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    £31.69/£60 - pretty pleased with that result! I'll be lowering next month's target I think
    Grocery Challenge
    2020: £739.83 / £880
    2019: £166.20 / £220
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,114 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Two small spends to declare: 75p, yesterday, for mushrooms from Sainsbugs; and 95p last Friday for creme fraiche in Lidl. Once you account for some coppers - now in the coin jar - this brings our total spend for August to £118.80/£120, leaving £1.20 to roll forward into September.

I can't figure out what to make for dinner tonight. I haven't defrosted anything because I was totally uninspired this morning. While we have plenty of food in the house, virtually none of it is fresh (beyond eggs, milk, mushrooms, onions and garlic. There may be a few potatoes lurking, too). I am currently vacillating between homemade pesto - there are pine kernels in the fridge and we have basil growing - and making some sort of quiche.

Hmmm...

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Declaring for August at £446.18/£450, which I'm happy with, after a cheeky £9 spend today on odds & sods like beansprouts (note to self, just get organised & grow them!) cabbage etc. as we needed to do a stir-fry tonight thanks to DD1's social commitments, and we'd just about run out of veg as Friday is my stocking-up day.

That said, I went down to the allotment today & liberated a massive 5Kg of tomatoes, mostly still green but on the vine so they'll ripen in the conservatory (I'm terrified the blight will strike any day now; there's at least double that still on the vines yet to pick) and the same amount of runner beans. Many of which are too far gone to cook/freeze as normal, but I've shelled those to dry & use like kidney beans through the winter, as well as seeds for next year. One more huge beetroot - the leaves & stems went into the stir-fry - an ice-cream tub of blackberries from the hedge and a bowl of raspberries. The chard is almost ready to start picking, the sea-kale also, and the little cabbages are coming on nicely. We have a huge yellow pumpkin, plus a smaller one & some little butternut squashes coming along.

The leeks, however, are definitely slacking... I think they'd do better with some cooler, damper weather. Unlike their grower... And I do wish I'd got some more kale in!
    Angie - GC May 24 £253.52/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • ditty1234
    ditty1234 Posts: 2,045 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Well with being home but on holiday my grocery budget had carried some of the holiday expectation w some fresh fruit there as a treat and a couple of ready made things after some emergencies.
    So I'm checking out at chocking £395/£260 for 2 people + one occasional. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

We genuinely cook everything from scratch, mostly shop at Ald*

In SeptemberI literally have £400 after bills so while I will increase my budget to £300 to be more realistic as uni son will be home and I will be helping setting him up in his new house, it will still be tight.
    See y'll in September
    LBM Jan 2019 - £25.928/Active debt £14253, 54% sorted
    Housing fund Jan 2024 £2000/6000 36%
    EF Jan 2024 £0/1000 0% Emergency fund is for worn out things like vacuum cleaner, dish washer, and washing machine.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Lunch out for 4 yesterday , I paid to make up for bad one last week, £26. Lidl for measuring spoon + groc £7.03, Asda for top ups 6.74. Gardener is coming today so will have to pay him but not sure how much yet.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Do not need anything but have a job for a sm delivery so have made shopping list up to minimum delivery cost, which will be reimbursed so a no spend, but as no real need of anything am ordering very long term stuff, some for my Brexit box, like pasta and tea etc.
  • susan946
    susan946 Posts: 474 Forumite
    Options
    Well at the end of this month I'm declaring at £484/400
    which at first glance doesn't look too good, but I have spent this morning at the hospital having some treatment on my back so I've stocked up for the next week or so as I don't know how mobile I'm going to be. Had I known this at the beginning of the month I would have increased the budget to account for it but I didn't. I shall reduce the September budget accordingly and see how I get on.
  • sweetpea26
    Options
    end of August already where has time gone !

Finishing this month at £415 approx. I have went over budget by £15. Its been a good month for stocking up and have picked up quite a few bargains along the way.

I feed 4 most days and 5 at weekends.

This is about £3 per day per person. I think I could cut this down but I do find it difficult.

All the best for September and thank you Elise Pac
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Finished the month at £15.71 overspent which is pretty good for me. I had a careful look at where the money went and I think I could do slightly better in Sept - see you over there
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure