PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

August 2019 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,061 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Spends of £38.65 today in Mr T:

£30.56 on stuff for nibbles with friends tomorrow & a bottle of Prosecco

£2.99 on nappies (we cloth nappy but are going away for a week so need enough disposables to do us the trip)

Coffee - £2.23

Butter - £1.45

YS shortcrust pastry x2 - £1.32 (you never get amazing reductions at my Mr T but thought handy for the freezer)

Change of meal plan - made burritos with chilli con carne from freezer + rice + wraps + Greek yoghurt as DH was home late so didn’t want to stress myself making the planned meal. Will cook it tomorrow as the chicken will need used up.
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Afternoon All

Just a quick trip to A$da yesterday to declare. We needed yoghurts and mushrooms so my DH picked them up on his way home from work. £7.25 spent, which takes our total spend to £36.30/£120, leaving £83.70 for the rest of the month.

I think I've lost my meal-planning mojo. Normally, I'd look at the contents of the fridge and freezer, work our what needs to be used up from the fridge and take something out to defrost to accompany it. Dinner tonight is Bread-and-Cheese Pudding - think savoury bread and butter pudding - because I noticed we had an end of a loaf that could be used up, but I haven't a clue re tomorrow. Nothing is inspiring me.

We don't have a lot of fresh veg in stock, which might be part of the problem. I've got some really ropy courgettes to harvest (they have blossom end rot), but I'm not inspired to use them. Humph!

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 4 spent.

4 coupons - 200g Caithness Yarns DK Sedge
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,447 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nothing much to report, no spends for 4 days.

Except I used 40 eggs and made batter, now frozen in portions. Made 7 x sultana and orange traybakes using another 28 eggs - all now frozen. I've run out of flour both plain and self raising but the hens are still laying!!! At least it will all stand me in good stead when the weather turns colder.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Had to collect medication from Asda, which is next to the YS counter, so bought stuff, which will go into freezer mainly. Also had a job to do in Morrisons so bought batteries and sweeties whilst I was there.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi everyone. Had a few spends. £6.11 on tomatoes, cucumber, spring onons, chickpeas, bread, some Morrisons vegan sausages, don't need, but they get a good review, can't remember what else, but it all came to £6.11. Got a parcel arriving today, loads of tins, some protein powders etc etc - came to £16.83. Just need toilet rolls and that's me done. Have updated sig and am a bit over, for the month, but will catch up. Really the bulk shop should have come from bulk fund, but thought i would do like this for now. i have a couple of friends coming to stay for a week on Tuesday, so not going to do any more shopping 'till Monday, hopefully, and then just salad stuff. Have a lovely day everyone. xx

p.s. Anyone watched 'Broke' on BBC (on iplayer). Seriously got so choked up. The guy with his son on the beach living in the tents - trying to catch a fish - so sad and they eventually get deposit together to rent a caravan. Hopefully they will get a break. People are working so hard just to survive. Hopefully Labour will get in n things will change #JustSayin
  • Doing_it_my_way
    Options
    I would love to join this thread, I think it would really help me keep on track. I wont join now as you are half way through the month but will keep reading and come back and join if thats ok for September. I love making food stretch, I try hard not to spend on food and grow what I can in the garden. Looking forward to September :)
    Weight loss 6lb/16lb 10lb to go
    I spend an insane amount of time wondering if I am doing it right, sometimes I remind myself that I am doing my best....and that is enough
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Options
    We have spent £38.98 since last post.

My meals for today go as follow
    B : Fruit (strawberries, blueberries, easy peeler, pear and banana) and soya yogurt.
    L : Tempeh salad.
    D : Vegan ramen.
    Snacks : Popped potato chips(bbq flavour), celery with peanut butter.
    Drinks : Water, coffee, green tea and lemonade.

OH for dinner will be having cheesy pasta. No idea what else he'll eat during the day (as I've said before he snacks a lot during the day) but I know for a fact he'll drink copious amounts of coffee :rotfl: .

£175.54/£200
    £24.46 left.
    Epp. Hoping this will be enough for the rest of the month, mostly fresh items needed so fingers crossed. Have bought lots of items that cost quite a bit but will last a while/long time such as maple syrup, dried shiitake mushrooms and gouchujang. So if we go a little over I won't be too annoyed but I'd rather we stay within budget.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • sweetpea26
    sweetpea26 Posts: 831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Afternoon Everyone :)

Been a busy week for me but am doing well with the challenge. Half way through the month and we are at £190.16/£400.

Got some good reduced bargains on meat again this week and veg. Was able to snag a lovely cabbage for 25p.

This challenge is making think about every penny I am spending on food and non food items. So I am def. going to be joining in again in September.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,686 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A cheeky £7.60 added for some Greek yogurt (on SO) some halloumi & some paneer; I forgot to get cheddar but it'll be better value at the market tomorrow anyway.

Halfway through the month now, the joint birthday's been & gone, & the guests & "remote offspring" have all gone home! Just one extra to feed this coming weekend, so now I should be able to knuckle down & tighten the belt - if that's not muddling my metaphors!
    Angie - GC June 24: £59.15/£420: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 15/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • ditty1234
    ditty1234 Posts: 2,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yep lost my post again. Have used £288 so far, had written a long explanation but do not have time to rewrite. Main sinners are £ready made food £30, Sweets £18 its the holiday aitn it!
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    LBM Jan 2019 - £25.928/Active debt £14253, 54% sorted
    Housing fund Jan 2024 £2000/6000 36%
    EF Jan 2024 £0/1000 0% Emergency fund is for worn out things like vacuum cleaner, dish washer, and washing machine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport