It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts!!!!

Options

Comments

• Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,001 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »

We all have to look at ourselves in the mirror each morning, and for those with kids or grandkids...that stare should be a long hard one!!!

Indeed. The most environmentally friendly thing we can do is not have children.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• ggmf
    ggmf Posts: 796 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Brilley wrote: »
    apparently its a bit of an urban myth that you need to do 10k steps per day, it's actually better (and quicker) to do 3 * 10 mins of "fast" walking instead.

There is no proven evidence that 10K is the magic number. An article yesterday suggests that a combination of interval (fast walking) and normal walking exercise is better. Apparently normal walking exercise allows the brain to appreciate your surroundings and notice more, hence is better for your metal health, intervals are better for your cardio well-being. Who to believe?
    2 Separate arrays, 7 x JASolar 380w panels (2.66kWp) south facing, 4 x JASolar 380w panels (1.52kWp) east facing, 11 x Tigo optimizers & cloud, Growatt SPH5000, Growatt 6.5kWh Hybrid battery (Go-live 01/12/21) - Additional reporting via Solar Assistant.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,424 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    At the end of the day ANY exercise is better than sitting on the sofa eating biscuits!! Just get moving!!!

Says the lady who is now scoffing a pan au chocolate....having just run 6 miles!!
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • Anonymous101
    Options
    Does anyone else listen to the Feel Better Live More podcast that Rangan Chatterjee does?

I've been listening to it for the last year or so and have got loads of value from it. I'd highly recommend it to anyone especially those into their health and wellbeing.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,634 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ...I am not doing dry January this year as I actually gave up drinking (alcohol) in August, and don 't really miss it! (There are some really nice alcohol free beers about now). This has also helped to keep the weight off over Christmas. Also watched a good program the other day regarding exercise, (Dr. Michael Moseley), apparently its a bit of an urban myth that you need to do 10k steps per day, it's actually better (and quicker) to do 3 * 10 mins of "fast" walking instead. (Although I do enjoy walking for pleasure).

I am doing dry January as I am off to Tenerife in February and the swimsuit will be coming out as we will have a pool - and we are sharing the villa with another family so I will be visible.
    OH was thinking about it and then I got hit with one of those winter bugs which meant I had no desire to drink alcohol or eat much either so that gave me a good start. Tonight is Friday night curry - the first real test for OH!
    We have loads of booze as we hosted a big NYE party so this is a temporary thing but I expect I will stick with no midweek drinking at home come February (except for holiday when all bets are off).
    I had my first night at run club this week and could definitely tell that I hadn't been for a month - I have entered my first 10k in May so I have a target to aim for. I have not yet run that far.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Brilley
    Brilley Posts: 225 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ..never really drank anything in the week anyway, it was mainly a Friday and Saturday night mini binge as a stress reliever from work. But since not working I started to question why I was still drinking?...so packed it up. I am not saying I am off alcohol / teetotal for ever I will still have the odd glass of wine when I feel like it. Just that the longer you don't drink the harder it is to start again, (ie you can no longer say "I have not had a drink for the last x months!).
  • jimi_man
    jimi_man Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I don't normally do resolutions, other than never to make a New Year's resolution again, however this year I've committed to wet January.

It's going pretty well, on track to complete by the end of the month. Tbh it's a lot easier than I thought and actually, very enjoyable.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,424 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jimi_man wrote: »
    I don't normally do resolutions, other than never to make a New Year's resolution again, however this year I've committed to wet January.

It's going pretty well, on track to complete by the end of the month. Tbh it's a lot easier than I thought and actually, very enjoyable.

Sounds like a plan!!!

I've just demolished a plate of chilli con carne (with minced beef!!!) washed down with a glass of red!! Lovely jubbly!!:beer:
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Options
    ...I am not doing dry January this year as I actually gave up drinking (alcohol) in August, and don 't really miss it! (There are some really nice alcohol free beers about now). This has also helped to keep the weight off over Christmas. Also watched a good program the other day regarding exercise, (Dr. Michael Moseley), apparently its a bit of an urban myth that you need to do 10k steps per day, it's actually better (and quicker) to do 3 * 10 mins of "fast" walking instead. (Although I do enjoy walking for pleasure).

Based on some unplanned/un-budgeted income from part time work I have increased our planned spend for this year, just not sure what to spend it on! Also still struggling to get my head around the the idea of spending rather than saving!

I tried all the Alcohol free beers but none of them realy tasted nice. I think Heineken and Peroni were the nicest i tried.

I am a red wine drinker but the Sauvinon Blancs seem the nicest. M&S and Sainsburys were the best i tried. All a little sweet.
    Reds i tried were all pretty poor (and sweet) though.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    You get an amazing lather from your body wash of choice, plus added exfoliation!!

I see. But i dont use body wash, i use a bar.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback