Forum Home» Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning

It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts!!!! - Page 127

New Post Advanced Search

It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts!!!!

1.4K replies 187.7K views

Replies

• cfw1994cfw1994 Forumite
    899 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Sea_Shell said:
    I don't have a template as such, i just played around with Excel.

I have the following columns.

Year
    Starting fund
    Growth in £  (based on an adjustable % in another cell)
    Fund plus growth
    Estimated Spends - adjustable (linked to an adjustable inflation % each year)
    Income ( nil at present and then includes DB/SP when due)
    Net Balance
    Number of years spends at this rate

Copy the Net balance back to the next line down as the starting fund for year 2, repeat. 
    You need to play around with the formulas a bit to get them to do what you need.

It basically tells me that if i had say a starting pot of £500,000, with a 3% growth rate, that would give me growth in £ of £15,000.
    If I then said I would spend £20k per year, increasing at 2% inflation, it would show i'd have £495,000 for year 2, with growth in year 2 of £14,850 and spends of £20,400.   Drag the formulas down the columns to see when (if) you run out of money!!    Using the above, shows 25 years of spending, initially, with £400,000 left after 12 years.

£166,200 of growth, to offset £266,400 of spends.  

Hope that helps.

Interesting: we are tangentially at odds with each other!
    My spreaddie has a row for each year, and columns for the income streams (pensions), DC pot, investments.   
    I can adjust whether I will take from the DC pot (tax implication) or investments.
    I can chuck in the odd negative % growth to test it a bit.
    I can try changing things (growth rates, inflation adjustments) to project when I need to take leave of this mortal form due to running out of money!
    Much like The Lotus Eater, by Somerset Maughan  :D
    If you ever fancy a copy, message me (but I will insist on feedback please - too many have shown interest then never responded - tell me it's rubbish or looks too hard if you want!)

Plan for tomorrow, enjoy today!
  • RetSolRetSol Forumite
    112 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Sea_Shell said:

Year
    Starting fund
    Fund plus growth
    Net Balance

Copy the Net balance back to the next line down as the starting fund for year 2, repeat. 
    You need to play around with the formulas a bit to get them to do what you need.

It basically tells me that if i had say a starting pot of £500,000, with a 3% growth rate, that would give me growth in £ of £15,000.
    If I then said I would spend £20k per year, increasing at 2% inflation, it would show i'd have £495,000 for year 2, with growth in year 2 of £14,850 and spends of £20,400.   Drag the formulas down the columns to see when (if) you run out of money!!    Using the above, shows 25 years of spending, initially, with £400,000 left after 12 years.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, Sea_Shell - that's very helpful.  I am going to need to hone my spreadsheet skills, though! 
  • BravepantsBravepants Forumite
    1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    RetSol said:
    Sea_Shell said:

Year
    Starting fund
    Fund plus growth
    Net Balance

Hope that helps.

Thank you, Sea_Shell - that's very helpful.  I am going to need to hone my spreadsheet skills, though! 
    In this game, spreadsheets become a hobby after a while! :)

If you want to be rich, live like you're poor; if you want to be poor, live like you're rich.
    Be brave enough to invest against the herd!
  • StubodStubod Forumite
    846 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    ..yes, I find it simpler to have a row for each year, then columns for expenditure with a total "OUT", then incomes "IN", (includes pensions and savings and investment interest).
    For each year you can then multiply expenditure and interest by their respective rates with a running total for as many years as you care to predict.
    It helps if you have a few years of historical spending to base your assumption on. 
  • Sea_ShellSea_Shell Forumite
    4.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I DO have a row for each year...the column heading is "year".

Sorry if I didn't make that clear.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow ":beer: JOB DONE!!
    This should now read "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!! :j:j:j
  • Sea_ShellSea_Shell Forumite
    4.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    RetSol said:
    Sea_Shell said:

Year
    Starting fund
    Fund plus growth
    Net Balance

Hope that helps.

Hobby or Obsession??!!

It's a thin line!!  
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow ":beer: JOB DONE!!
    This should now read "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!! :j:j:j
  • RetSolRetSol Forumite
    112 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Sea_Shell said:
    RetSol said:
    Sea_Shell said:

Year
    Starting fund
    Fund plus growth
    Net Balance

Hope that helps.

Hobby or Obsession??!!

It's a thin line!!  
    Hobby or obession, I feel myself being gripped.... 
  • coyrlscoyrls Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Low interest rates are working as an encouragement to spend for me.
  • RetSolRetSol Forumite
    112 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    RetSol said:
    Sea_Shell said:
    RetSol said:
    Sea_Shell said:

Year
    Starting fund
    Fund plus growth
    Net Balance

Hope that helps.

Hobby or Obsession??!!

It's a thin line!!  
    Hobby or obession, I feel myself being gripped.... 
    Yay, I have just created my first spreadie, formulae and all.  Feeing very chuffed with myself. 
  • StubodStubod Forumite
    846 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    ..obsession for me, been at it for years.
    .and yes low interest rates certainly help with the "might as well spend it now" attitude! (Hope inflation remains low to compensate)