Forum Home» Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning

It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts!!!! - Page 130

New Post Advanced Search

It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts!!!!

1.3K replies 182.5K views

Replies

• savingmoresavingmore Forumite
    490 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    cfw1994 said:
    Sea_Shell said:
    I don't have a template as such, i just played around with Excel.

I have the following columns.

Year
    Starting fund
    Growth in £  (based on an adjustable % in another cell)
    Fund plus growth
    Estimated Spends - adjustable (linked to an adjustable inflation % each year)
    Income ( nil at present and then includes DB/SP when due)
    Net Balance
    Number of years spends at this rate

Copy the Net balance back to the next line down as the starting fund for year 2, repeat. 
    You need to play around with the formulas a bit to get them to do what you need.

It basically tells me that if i had say a starting pot of £500,000, with a 3% growth rate, that would give me growth in £ of £15,000.
    If I then said I would spend £20k per year, increasing at 2% inflation, it would show i'd have £495,000 for year 2, with growth in year 2 of £14,850 and spends of £20,400.   Drag the formulas down the columns to see when (if) you run out of money!!    Using the above, shows 25 years of spending, initially, with £400,000 left after 12 years.

£166,200 of growth, to offset £266,400 of spends.  

Hope that helps.

Interesting: we are tangentially at odds with each other!
    My spreaddie has a row for each year, and columns for the income streams (pensions), DC pot, investments.   
    I can adjust whether I will take from the DC pot (tax implication) or investments.
    I can chuck in the odd negative % growth to test it a bit.
    I can try changing things (growth rates, inflation adjustments) to project when I need to take leave of this mortal form due to running out of money!
    Much like The Lotus Eater, by Somerset Maughan  :D
    If you ever fancy a copy, message me (but I will insist on feedback please - too many have shown interest then never responded - tell me it's rubbish or looks too hard if you want!)

i would love a copy and wouldn’t be happy to give feedback.  i am trying to ok work out some scenarios to see if we can retire 33 months earlier than planned.  would be most grateful!   

• michaelsmichaels Forumite
    25K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cfw1994 said:
    Sea_Shell said:

Year
    Starting fund
    Fund plus growth
    Net Balance

Copy the Net balance back to the next line down as the starting fund for year 2, repeat. 
    You need to play around with the formulas a bit to get them to do what you need.

It basically tells me that if i had say a starting pot of £500,000, with a 3% growth rate, that would give me growth in £ of £15,000.
    If I then said I would spend £20k per year, increasing at 2% inflation, it would show i'd have £495,000 for year 2, with growth in year 2 of £14,850 and spends of £20,400.   Drag the formulas down the columns to see when (if) you run out of money!!    Using the above, shows 25 years of spending, initially, with £400,000 left after 12 years.

Hope that helps.

My spreaddie has a row for each year, and columns for the income streams (pensions), DC pot, investments.   
    I can adjust whether I will take from the DC pot (tax implication) or investments.
    I can try changing things (growth rates, inflation adjustments) to project when I need to take leave of this mortal form due to running out of money!
    If you ever fancy a copy, message me (but I will insist on feedback please - too many have shown interest then never responded - tell me it's rubbish or looks too hard if you want!)

i would love a copy and wouldn’t be happy to give feedback.  i am trying to ok work out some scenarios to see if we can retire 33 months earlier than planned.  would be most grateful!   
    I guess that is honest...
    I think....
  • happyandcontentedhappyandcontented Forumite
    2.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I assumed they meant 'would be happy'  :)
  • edited 27 July at 1:49PM
    cfw1994cfw1994 Forumite
    892 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    edited 27 July at 1:49PM
    cfw1994 said:
    Sea_Shell said:

Year
    Starting fund
    Fund plus growth
    Net Balance

Hope that helps.

I’ll message details in the morning.  Do let me know how you get on!
    eta - message sent!
    Plan for tomorrow, enjoy today!
  • Sea_ShellSea_Shell Forumite
    4.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good Morning Squirrellers

Again, not much to report, so just checking in. 

Month end figures for July, show that we were up £19,000 on last July (approx 3.4%), but have spent £10,500 of that (year to date) and so are up a net of £8,500.   No trailing salary to include now.   Still solvent, for now.

Markets seem to have been a bit twitchy again this past week, so we'll see what next month brings.  
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow ":beer: JOB DONE!!
    This should now read "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!! :j:j:j
  • atushatush Forumite
    18.6K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds good.

I am still finding spending down, savings up in general.  Groceries are up, as no more special offers like there used to be but wasnt spending anything on eating out.  But now eating out has resumed for us, and we are off to our gite in france later in the month.  So i expect spending to go back up to more normal levels esp as we will be on vacation.

I expected to find ferry/chunnel tickets to be low, but they were HIGH.
  • graham131graham131 Forumite
    7 posts
    Part of the Furniture First Post Combo Breaker
    cfw1994 said:
    cfw1994 said:
    Sea_Shell said:

Year
    Starting fund
    Fund plus growth
    Net Balance

Hope that helps.

eta - message sent!
    cfw I too would love to see a copy if possible and again am happy to feedback
    Thanks
  • cfw1994cfw1994 Forumite
    892 posts
    ✭✭✭
    graham131 said:
    cfw1994 said:
    cfw1994 said:
    Sea_Shell said:

Year
    Starting fund
    Fund plus growth
    Net Balance

Hope that helps.

eta - message sent!
    cfw I too would love to see a copy if possible and again am happy to feedback
    Thanks
    You have a message!
  • BlackcatsBlackcats Forumite
    465 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    CFW May I have a copy too please.  I'm a lurker here and am always impressed, amazed (and very intimidated) by the amazing calculations folk here can do.  My feedback will definitely be from a novice's perspective 🤣
  • cfw1994cfw1994 Forumite
    892 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Blackcats said:
    CFW May I have a copy too please.  I'm a lurker here and am always impressed, amazed (and very intimidated) by the amazing calculations folk here can do.  My feedback will definitely be from a novice's perspective 🤣
    Messaged!