»

Money Moral Dilemma: Should I share energy switch cash with my flatmates?

New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

Money Moral Dilemma: Should I share energy switch cash with my flatmates?

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Energy
26 replies 10.9K views
MSE_KelvinMSE_Kelvin
105 posts
MSE Staff
Second Anniversary Newshound! I've been Money Tipped!
MSE Staff
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Energy
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
I manage my flat's energy bills, and recently referred a friend to our supplier, meaning we both get £75 credit on our energy accounts. Should I share this with my flatmates, or use it towards my own share of the bills?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

:idea: If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

:huh: Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? [URL="mailto: mmd@moneysavingexpert.com"]Suggest an MMD[/URL].
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Replies

• gsmlnxgsmlnx
    1.7K posts
    Forumite
    The money belongs to the energy bill so every flat mate should get an equal share of the money as they all pay for the energy used.
  • SmodletSmodlet
    6.6K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 5000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree but with one proviso: You manage the energy account, very efficiently by the sound of it, so perhaps the least they could do is buy you a :beer:
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
  • edited 25 June 2019 at 4:37PM
    Biggus_DickusBiggus_Dickus
    667 posts
    Forumite
    500 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭
    edited 25 June 2019 at 4:37PM
    Dear Money Saver,

Share half the windfall between your flat-mates but keep the other half just for yourself on the basis that all your selfless un-paid energy admin duties deserves some additional financial recognition at the very least.

If any ungrateful sod (or sods!) objects you should transfer all future energy admin activities to said ungrateful objector (or objectors!) forthwith. :mad:

Alternatively (and for the sake of future harmony) perhaps best to share it equally,... then bask in the glory of your magnanimous gesture.:D
  • MSE_Kelvin wrote: »
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
    I manage my flat's energy bills, and recently referred a friend to our supplier, meaning we both get £75 credit on our energy accounts. Should I share this with my flatmates, or use it towards my own share of the bills?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

:idea: If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

:huh: Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.
    [purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Was this Bulb Energy? Certainly sounds like it. :o

You cannot use the bill credit towards your own share of the bills. A bill credit is just that - a credit applied to the bill.

You may need to look for new friends as they are taking you and your flatmates for a ride!

If you too have fallen for the Bulb Energy spammers lies & deceit, then you should probably pay an extra £75 towards the energy bill to make up in part the poor decision making you took.

Fot the love of God, follow MSE's advice and consult an energy comparsion site to find the best best deal for you (ignoring any possible cashback in your decision), and consider fixing.

I can guarantee the only winner here is your 'friend' who conned you into going with Bulb Energy purely for their own self interests.
  • REJPREJP
    144 posts
    Forumite
    100 Posts
    It is a credit towards the bill for your flat, so use it for that. Where is the dilemma?
  • mac9091mac9091
    25 posts
    Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    If you deal with ensuring you are on the cheapest tariff and no one else bothers then no don't share it.
  • No you got the cash it's yours
  • tsvk9tsvk9
    2 posts
    Forumite
    Are you for real? I don't know what your issue is with Bulb but myself, and 3 friends I referred, have all received the credits to our accounts as promised. As you can freely adjust your monthly payments to them, it's the same as cash in the pocket. I have found great customer service, money saving AND green energy with Bulb.
    In contrast, I had previously been with Solarplicity after clicking through from THIS WEBSITE and was delivered into the hands of a corrupt nightmare company that I am still fighting 18 months later.
    *OP - if it's Bulb you've signed with, Well Done You, and as for your dilemma - Do As You Would Be Done By my friend.
  • tsvk9tsvk9
    2 posts
    Forumite
    PlanetCookie Are you for real? I don't know what your issue is with Bulb but myself, and 3 friends I referred, have all received the credits to our accounts as promised. As you can freely adjust your monthly payments to them, it's the same as cash in the pocket. I have found great customer service, money saving AND green energy with Bulb.
    In contrast, I had previously been with Solarplicity after clicking through from THIS WEBSITE and was delivered into the hands of a corrupt nightmare company that I am still fighting 18 months later.
    *OP - if it's Bulb you've signed with, Well Done You, and as for your dilemma - Do As You Would Be Done By my friend.
  • glider3560glider3560
    4K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 2500 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    tsvk9 wrote: »
    Are you for real? I don't know what your issue is with Bulb but myself, and 3 friends I referred, have all received the credits to our accounts as promised. As you can freely adjust your monthly payments to them, it's the same as cash in the pocket. I have found great customer service, money saving AND green energy with Bulb.

You're probably one of the Bulb spammers. In my case, they are more than double the cost of my current supplier.