What can I do with H2B now I can't transfer to LISA?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
5 replies 1.2K views
Usa2019Usa2019 Forumite
66 Posts
Second Anniversary 10 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
I have 10k on the H2B ISA and 12k on LISA

When I buy a house, which ISA should I use?

First thought was obviously LISA as that has more money in it.

But then I remember the 25% bonus has already gone in, where as the H2B hasn't.

If I don't use H2B for a house, all I got is just 2-3% interest for all these years.

Replies

• eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    18.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, ignoring interest, your total contribution has been £19.6K, boosted to £22K by the extra 25% on the LISA money.

If you use the HTB (noting its lower property value cap), the £10K will be boosted to £12.5K, but the money in the LISA will be inaccessible until you're 60 unless you pay the 25% withdrawal charge that would take it down to £9K, total available now £21.5K.

If you use the LISA, you'd access the full £22K, as there are no penalties for accessing the HTB money if not for a first property, so in terms of optimising your overall return this is slightly better.
  • Usa2019Usa2019 Forumite
    66 Posts
    If you use the LISA, you'd access the full £22K,

When i do purchase a house, would I able to use both H2B and LISA?
  • AlexlandAlexland Forumite
    8.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Usa2019 wrote: »
    When i do purchase a house, would I able to use both H2B and LISA?

Assuming the property purchase complies to the requirements of both schemes:

You could use the LISA (with bonuses in the account and no penalties) and just withdraw the money from the HTB ISA without claiming the bonus (as you cannot claim a HTB ISA bonus if using a LISA + you would not be eligible to continue holding a HTB ISA after the purchase).

Alternatively you could use the HTB ISA (and claim the bonus) and transfer the LISA to a S&S provider to invest until age 60 to help with retirement costs, etc.

Alex
  • Usa2019Usa2019 Forumite
    66 Posts
    transfer the LISA to a S&S provider to invest until age 60 to help with retirement costs, etc.

Any reason SS is better than LISA? On LISA I'm getting 25% bonus plus 5% on investment. (Although I know the money is stuck till 60)
  • AlexlandAlexland Forumite
    8.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Usa2019 wrote: »
    Any reason SS is better than LISA? On LISA I'm getting 25% bonus plus 5% on investment. (Although I know the money is stuck till 60)

There are 2 types of LISAs - Cash or S&S - both have the 25% bonus on upto £4k pa.

Cash LISAs generally return around 1% and are suitable for people buying qualifying properties in the next 5 years.

S&S LISAs have a higher long term average return but suffer from market volatility depending on the investment. If you have been getting a return of around 5% after fees this suggests you already have a S&S LISA and are taking a level or risk that could cause short term losses of around 50%. This might be OK for the long term investor aged under 40 and aiming for age 60+ but not suitable for someone who might buy a property in the next 5 years as the risk of crystallising a loss is unacceptably high.

Alex
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals