Options
13»

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    loulou41 wrote: »
    Pl can anybody recommend a rice cooker for 2 to 4? Currently using breville stainless 1.8 lts. Ideally would like a lt one. The breville one splashes and spitting a lot making quite a mess My old one is a national Chinese type rice cooker and it collects the splashes. They do not sell them much here ? Cheapest on amazon is £37.50 the type I want. No Chinese supermarket to check where I live. Thanks

My parents had a Chinese rice cooker when I was a child, bought for us by a family friend from overseas who lodged with us for some years.

Nowadays we all have slow cookers/ multi cookers with a 'rice' setting that gives the same results as that rice cooker (no mess). At one point we all had the same Tefal model! Not cheap I am afraid, but better than having multiple gadgets.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    keith969 wrote: »
    I've got a Zojirushi one (japanese).

So do I but it was £360...... which I suspect is going to be well out of the OP's budget.

Although Zojirushi are a Japaneese company all there rice cookers for export are made in China so unless you specifically got a domestic one it will have been made in China.
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I was terrible at cooking rice, very hit and miss, more misses! Then I became a professional using the Sistema cooker, currently £7.99 on the infamous South American river.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    The more you muck about with or agitate rice the more starch is released, and the more likely it is to stick together. Do not rinse, stir or boil and drain.

The double volume of water to volume of rice is the steam-absorption method (as used by Delia, Jamie Oliver and others). Boiling water is added, lid on, then the temperature reduced so the rice is soaking in very hot water rather than being agitated by boiling water. After fifteen minutes or so all the water is absorbed leaving perfect steamed rice.

Best results with basmati rice which has a slightly different composition of starch to regular long grain rice. You need a little more than double water for brown basmati rice BTW.

Interesting thanks. I remember Madhur Jafrey (sp?) saying how rice had to be washed for ages before steaming so i guess some washing is a good thing? Anyway, rice simmered in plenty of water comes out fine with the minimum prep time, so if it ain’t broke . . :)
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    The more you muck about with or agitate rice the more starch is released, and the more likely it is to stick together. Do not rinse, stir or boil and drain.

The double volume of water to volume of rice is the steam-absorption method (as used by Delia, Jamie Oliver and others). Boiling water is added, lid on, then the temperature reduced so the rice is soaking in very hot water rather than being agitated by boiling water. After fifteen minutes or so all the water is absorbed leaving perfect steamed rice.

Best results with basmati rice which has a slightly different composition of starch to regular long grain rice. You need a little more than double water for brown basmati rice BTW.

I always have better luck with 1.6 or so volume of water to brown basmati. I like the stream method too, although I bring a pan of cold rice and water to the boil, then reduce to the lowest for 10, resting it for another 5.
  • desdemona01
    desdemona01 Posts: 127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I’ve been using this method for years. It’s adapted from a Delia Smith recipe: put the saucepan on the heat and add one volume (I use a cup measure and it’s plenty for us 3). Let the rice heat up for a couple of minutes stirring occasionally. Pour on two measures of very hot water and stir. Boil for 3 minutes without the lid. Switch off the heat, give it a stir and put the lid on, leave for about 20 minutes and voila your perfectly cooked rice is ready to fluff up and serve. I usually used Asda basmati.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure