Rice cooker

Options

Comments

• Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Microwave’s the answer! Makes perfect rice in a set-and-forget way. Alternatively a generic electric steamer will provide much more flexibility, allowing rice plus another dish to be cooked at the same time or reheated as required.

Our aged electric steamer was made by Black & Decker :eek:
  • Jimmithecat
    Jimmithecat Posts: 244 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I can see what you are all saying about pan/microwaving rice but I love my rice cooker.
    I measure the rice, soak it for a few hours, rinse it, drain it & put it in the rice cooker and it’s done perfectly in 15 minutes.
    My rice cooker is an Asda one that is still going strong - when it eventually dies i will probably buy a better model as I use it at least 3 times a week.
    It’s just what you get used to I guess.
  • ben501
    ben501 Posts: 668 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've got this one & it's great. Not sure you'd get more than 2 portions out of it though.

Moss5 wrote: »
    Please try a 2-minute experiment on microwave rice.

Due to this being a money saving forum I'll decline if you don't mind.
    £1.00 a packet for that microwave stuff. You can get Basmati rice for a quarter of the price. If you're happy with cheap rice, 1/10th the price of Uncle Ben's:eek:
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I think they're great for large families.

We have a rice cooker but generally cook our "day to day" rice for just the 3 of us in a normal pan.

When the rice cooker comes into its own is when you want to cook a large amount and need free burners on the hob.

The last time we had a party with about 20 guests my wife made a large chili in the slow cooker and rice in the rice cooker and connected these away from the kitchen are so that they kept the food warm and everyone could help themselves over the evening.
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • thebigstillmeister
    Options
    Is the rice not a bit sticky with so little water? I normally use a kettlefull on the hob to ensure it’s well washed :)

Seems to turn out fine,.. just give it a few stirs with a couple of mins to go,. then a stir at the end,
  • keith969
    keith969 Posts: 1,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I've got a Zojirushi one (japanese) - its over 10 years old and much simpler than the new ones, just two buttons. Makes perfect rice every time and will keep it warm all day. It was recommended by our Japanese student - she said it's what her mum used every day.
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
  • loulou41
    loulou41 Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Options
    It was not cheap as well at £39.99 at Argos brand is breville stainless steel. Very stylish but does not do the job. Very disappointed with the product. Most of the reviews have been positive. Money wasted.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I bought a Crok-Pot from Argos for £49.99, but cheaper online, about 3 months ago, use it all the time.

It makes perfect rice every time and I make loads of Risotto's, Palau rice etc in it. May be a little bit more expensive than the ones your looking at but it's by no means the most expensive out there either.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is the rice not a bit sticky with so little water? I normally use a kettlefull on the hob to ensure it’s well washed :)

The more you muck about with or agitate rice the more starch is released, and the more likely it is to stick together. Do not rinse, stir or boil and drain.

The double volume of water to volume of rice is the steam-absorption method (as used by Delia, Jamie Oliver and others). Boiling water is added, lid on, then the temperature reduced so the rice is soaking in very hot water rather than being agitated by boiling water. After fifteen minutes or so all the water is absorbed leaving perfect steamed rice.

Best results with basmati rice which has a slightly different composition of starch to regular long grain rice. You need a little more than double water for brown basmati rice BTW.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport