MARTIN LEWIS LIVE Q&A TODAY WITH RISHI SUNAK
The Chancellor Rishi Sunak will be joining Martin for a live Q&A this afternoon to discuss the cost of living support package being announced today - you'll be able to watch it live HERE on the MoneySavingExpert website, stay tuned for more details

Our MFW Adventure!

in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
327 replies 20.4K views

Replies

• NeedhelpsavingNeedhelpsaving Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Good Morning!

It's payday week which is always handy  :)

I have written my budget for next month with actual amounts to be allocated and have decided on where I will funnel additional income. Cash income (paypal etc) will go to sinking funds for OH big birthday, school holiday activities fund and school uniform for next academic year. Any vouchers earned will be go to clothing fund, with summer sales likely in the next couple of months, I would like to be able to pick up some next size bits and pieces to put away for when they are needed. 

The money we put aside for immediate works is being eaten through pretty quickly and will make the budget fairly tight until the end of August as we are trying to cash flow it. We are planning to get this work done and then towards the end of the year, get the house revalued to see if it offers a better LTV with the bank. It wouldn't affect our interest rate, but maybe it will show that we have added value to the house ... is this something anyone else has done, is it worth doing or am I overthinking it?

2022 Target - Reduce new mortgage balance after house move - Part 1 (Ported) Starting balance £39,982.12 currently £37,242.19 Part 2 Starting Balance £101,997.88 currently £96,197.38 (as at 19/04/2022)
  • greentgreent Forumite
    10.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the change in LTV wouldn't affect your interest rate then why bother for now would be my train of thought - perhaps wait another 12 months and see if it would affect your interest rate then? I'm not sure the bank would be bothered (for want of a better word) with a revaluation otherwise? You could always ask an estate agent for their quick opinion as to value if you want to confirm to yourselves that you've improved and added value?  :) x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2022: £22.16
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Greent ... perhaps it is more for us than the mortgage company. An estate agent is probably the easier choice then if we wanted confirmation that the works have added value. Always good to have a sounding board xx
    2022 Target - Reduce new mortgage balance after house move - Part 1 (Ported) Starting balance £39,982.12 currently £37,242.19 Part 2 Starting Balance £101,997.88 currently £96,197.38 (as at 19/04/2022)
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I have decided to set myself another challenge, as I found myself to be less focussed last month without having a goal to work towards. We were busy with other bits, but I do like having something to aim for. 

So, in this vain, I will be doing 'Manifesting May' which will be a repeat of my March goal ... but not abandoned half way through due to a house move  :D

My aim is to save/earn/mainfest £100 during May. Ideas to achieve this are; 
    1. Sell unwanted items
    2. Use cashback sites for grocery shopping + bits needed for essential works at home
    3. Use cashback apps for grocery shopping (Green Jinn, COS, Shopmium and Shoppix)
    4. Survey site cashouts
    5. Yellow sticker/reduced food apps
    6. Coupons
    7. Free activities/entertainment
    8. Stay under budget on allocated spends and save the change
    9. Comping
    10. Apply for focus groups
    11. Use sales and offers to reduce planned birthday gift spends where possible
    12. Meal plan and stick to shopping list
    13. Using up the bits (using all the odds and sods in the pantry).

• greentgreent Forumite
    10.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Greent ... perhaps it is more for us than the mortgage company. An estate agent is probably the easier choice then if we wanted confirmation that the works have added value. Always good to have a sounding board xx
    Have just re-read my reply - it possibly comes across as a bit harsh - sorry! That wasn't my intention :) 

My aim is to save/earn/mainfest £100 during May. Ideas to achieve this are; 
    1. Sell unwanted items
    2. Use cashback sites for grocery shopping + bits needed for essential works at home
    3. Use cashback apps for grocery shopping (Green Jinn, COS, Shopmium and Shoppix)
    4. Survey site cashouts
    5. Yellow sticker/reduced food apps
    6. Coupons
    7. Free activities/entertainment
    8. Stay under budget on allocated spends and save the change
    9. Comping
    10. Apply for focus groups
    11. Use sales and offers to reduce planned birthday gift spends where possible
    12. Meal plan and stick to shopping list
    13. Using up the bits (using all the odds and sods in the pantry).

Re: 3 - have a look at Storewards app, too - it did say originally that it was only for supermarkets, but it takes all receipts - petrol, clothes shops, diy etc. Gives you a  bonus if you log in daily, too. Pays out at 20 000 points (= £2 paypa11, <32shop or Amaz00n) - each receipt snapped is worth 600pts, so they quickly amass :) 

Another one is HuYu - that is only for supermarkets. Gives 5points per receipt and you can claim at 500pts (=£5 - lots of giftcard options inc Tesc0 and Amaz00n)

FInally SnapMyEats - says it's only for food receipts and implies it's takeaways/ restaurants - but in reality any receipt which has something food or drink on it is ok (so a chocolate bar in a Wilkos purchase would qualify, as would a weekly shop at a smkt) Can earn up to £5/ mth (claim at £10) - 5 receipts = £1.

If you're taking pics of receipts for Sh0ppix then you may as well snap away on the same receipt for other apps, is what I always think! :D (ZipZero is also an option - but they haven't allowed any claims on funds earned in over a year now, so I wouldn't bother with them, sadly)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2022: £22.16
  • savingholmessavingholmes Forumite
    19.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck with manifesting May. I would second Greent and non bother worrying about LTV until you are able to get a better rate linked to it. Unless you are worried that you will completely overspend on your refurb in which case do consider what you would get back if you had to sell earlier than planned and factor that into your budget. Hope that helps.
    Target 1) Clear CC debt - SUCCESS 13/4/22 Target 2) Lose weight & get fit 3) Write regularly 3811342714/70000 words Book 2 4) Develop passive income streams 5) Get to £3K EF 6) Declutter 7) MFW starting at £201999 Nov 21 with 264 258 payments to go. Now £198132. 8) Mortgage neutral progress (via private pension starting value c£3643 Nov 21) extra payments £312 including tax relief
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    greent said:
    Have just re-read my reply - it possibly comes across as a bit harsh - sorry! That wasn't my intention :)  - Definitely not taken as being harsh, it was great to have a sounding board so appreciate the reply x

Re: 3 - have a look at Storewards app, too - it did say originally that it was only for supermarkets, but it takes all receipts - petrol, clothes shops, diy etc. Gives you a  bonus if you log in daily, too. Pays out at 20 000 points (= £2 paypa11, <32shop or Amaz00n) - each receipt snapped is worth 600pts, so they quickly amass :) 

Another one is HuYu - that is only for supermarkets. Gives 5points per receipt and you can claim at 500pts (=£5 - lots of giftcard options inc Tesc0 and Amaz00n)

FInally SnapMyEats - says it's only for food receipts and implies it's takeaways/ restaurants - but in reality any receipt which has something food or drink on it is ok (so a chocolate bar in a Wilkos purchase would qualify, as would a weekly shop at a smkt) Can earn up to £5/ mth (claim at £10) - 5 receipts = £1.

If you're taking pics of receipts for Sh0ppix then you may as well snap away on the same receipt for other apps, is what I always think! :D (ZipZero is also an option - but they haven't allowed any claims on funds earned in over a year now, so I wouldn't bother with them, sadly)
    Off to check out these new apps! Thanks!!!
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck with manifesting May. I would second Greent and non bother worrying about LTV until you are able to get a better rate linked to it. Unless you are worried that you will completely overspend on your refurb in which case do consider what you would get back if you had to sell earlier than planned and factor that into your budget. Hope that helps.
    Thanks for your reply SH - I think I have actually overestimated that the mortgage company gives a damn as long as we make our monthly payments  :D In my head, I thought ... oh, maybe it would put us in a good light in case we ever needed anything in the future as we have 'looked after'  their temporary investment ... what I should be thinking is how can I get rid of them from having a hold on our house. 

I really appreciate the sounding board as most people don't know that we have been paying the mortgage off more quickly etc, so it's nice to speak to others with a similar focus x
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Right, Manifesting May seems to have started early; 

- Yesterday both DD's were gifted some new clothes that would have cost £80 full price, but I know the family member is an avid bargain hunter ... either way it has saved us money in buying outfits for the girls for autumn. 

- We met a friend at the park and ran a few minutes late - they had kindly bought an extra pay and display car parking voucher for us - £1.50 saving. 

- GreenT has given me some feedback on new apps I can use for additional income x
  • edited 26 April 2021 at 1:37PM
    NeedhelpsavingNeedhelpsaving Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 26 April 2021 at 1:37PM
    Manifesting May wins today;

1. Signed up for 2 of the 3 apps recommended by Greent - 1 said they weren't currently accepting new members (storewards). 
    2. Rounded down the current account by 72p and moved this into my sinking funds savings account. 
    3. Signed up for a new survey site (Maru voice). 
    4. Ate leftovers at home for lunch (more frugal than manifesting, but it saved money all the same). 
    5. Dried washing on the line as the weather is nice. 
    6. Free activities with the kids today playing at home. 
    7. A handful of surveys completed and a handful of comps entered. 
    8. Signed up for a voucher for a free box of cereal (Cashback set up) will check the local morrisons on thurs when I go shopping. 
    9. Listed 5 things for sale yesterday (3 ebay, 5 on shpock as 2 collection only).