in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
327 replies 20.4K views

Replies

• savingholmessavingholmes Forumite
    19.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad things are still going well. 
    Target 1) Clear CC debt - SUCCESS 13/4/22 Target 2) Lose weight & get fit 3) Write regularly 3811342714/70000 words Book 2 4) Develop passive income streams 5) Get to £3K EF 6) Declutter 7) MFW starting at £201999 Nov 21 with 264 258 payments to go. Now £198132. 8) Mortgage neutral progress (via private pension starting value c£3643 Nov 21) extra payments £312 including tax relief
  • NeedhelpsavingNeedhelpsaving Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Hi  :) Thanks to everyone who has popped in to say hi! 

I know I have been missing for 3 weeks, but the house move went at such a pace that frankly it was all hands to the pump to get us over the line. I am now typing this from my new home! 

We have been here for 4 days now and there has been lots going on in terms of trying to get some normality in place. OH and I were both quite disappointed with the state the house had been left in and whilst it was no hoarders paradise, it was just dirty and ugh. Living room carpets are already up as the rugs they had down during viewings were apparently covering threadbare carpets and dog urine stains ... but, on the plus side, my cleaning skills have been given a workout and it has given us the kick up the bum to get moving with things. 

We have already bought a tonne of white paint and the bits needed for decorating, as we knew the bank holiday was coming the week after we moved, and didn't fancy queueing for a DIY store  ;) So this weekend, OH will have the kids and I will disappear into the land of decorating. 

In mortgage news, we've now gone from a just over £39k mortgage to a £142k mortgage. We have almost £10k banked for renovations and this will mainly be concentrated on downstairs and replacing carpets. Other things will be planned for 2022 and 2023 once we have rebuilt savings. 

Both DD birthdays are this month too, so no mortgage OP's planned at the minute. The inheritance I had planned to use as a mortgage OP has been rolled into the renovations pot due to the speed at which certain things need to be replaced. I am going to concentrate on the house during April and then I am toying with doing 'Manifesting May' as I took my foot off of the gas during March's challenge.
    2022 Target - Reduce new mortgage balance after house move - Part 1 (Ported) Starting balance £39,982.12 currently £37,242.19 Part 2 Starting Balance £101,997.88 currently £96,197.38 (as at 19/04/2022)
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Good Morning, 

We spent yesterday morning exploring, we went over to a local town to get a top up shop (£22.45) and I took kids to the park (free). I have updated my spreadsheet and have rounded the account down to the nearest whole pound and have moved the 87p difference into the OH big birthday pot. 

While in the town I found the library, which we can register with once it's open and got the heads up on some local parks/walks for free fun.

Today will be an NSD as I will be decorating using stuff we already have in. We have a tradesman (recommended by family member) coming round this morning to quote for some building work we need doing.

2022 Target - Reduce new mortgage balance after house move - Part 1 (Ported) Starting balance £39,982.12 currently £37,242.19 Part 2 Starting Balance £101,997.88 currently £96,197.38 (as at 19/04/2022)
    19.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope the building work goes well. Congrats on the move. I am sure you will quickly get on top of the new mortgage.
    Target 1) Clear CC debt - SUCCESS 13/4/22 Target 2) Lose weight & get fit 3) Write regularly 3811342714/70000 words Book 2 4) Develop passive income streams 5) Get to £3K EF 6) Declutter 7) MFW starting at £201999 Nov 21 with 264 258 payments to go. Now £198132. 8) Mortgage neutral progress (via private pension starting value c£3643 Nov 21) extra payments £312 including tax relief
  • edited 5 April 2021 at 5:58AM
    NeedhelpsavingNeedhelpsaving Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 5 April 2021 at 5:58AM
    Thanks SH x 

We're just working our way through a jobs at the minute many of which are free and just require elbow grease (cleaning/removing various bits and pieces from walls/cleaning out lower parts of guttering etc) I spent last week prepping and starting to decorate our living room. I think it will need another coat of emulsion and then woodwork needs to be done too. 

I have bought some bits for both DD's birthday - £40 spent on DD2 and £20 spent on DD1, and then we will also give DD1 some money to put towards the bike she is saving for. I do need to get a couple of small bits (they've asked for some inexpensive presents like bubbles) to open and a cake nearer the time. Todays errand is to meal plan and do a small shop. 
    19.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love when bubbles form part of presents. They still fascinate me as an adult...
  • edited 9 April 2021 at 9:15AM
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 9 April 2021 at 9:15AM
    Thanks for stopping by SH - I need to catch up on everyone's diaries!

This week's spends have been planned and stuck to ... yay!

- I did a 'big' shop at @ldi on Tuesday that came in at £60.80 (including a jigsaw that formed part of DD2 birthday present).
    - £6.87 in B&M on cleaning bits and bobs
    - £14 in M0rrisons for a few bits and pieces they didn't have in @ldi - I got almost 1/2 of that back in cashback claims from shopmium and CheckoutSmart.
    - Plus I managed to get my hands on a M0rrisons magic bag via toogoodtogo app - £3.09, but it was loaded with veg and fruit, so I was really pleased with the value for money on that one. The potatoes alone should last us almost 2 weeks for meals. 

In money making/saving bits;

- I sold some of DS's old clothes to a friend of the family - made £19 - saved towards OH big birthday fund.

- Paid £16 for 4 pairs of brand new boots and trainers (being sold by a family member) in the next 2 sizes for DD2.

- £5.65 Shopmium rebate.

- 0.70p COS rebate.

- Received some lovely (and very unexpected) housewarming gifts ranging from money to prosecco and a tray of 12 Krispy Kreme doughnuts being delivered to our house ... none of the Krispy Kremes have survived  :D  

- £10.18 cashed out from a survey site - saved towards OH big birthday fund.

- Someone on the local village FB group was offering free craft bits today that they were getting rid of - there were loads of bags, DD1 chose a bag from the box and when we got home it turned out to be loaded with Crayola crayons, unboxed, but brand new. 

- No food waste this week. 

• edited 9 April 2021 at 4:24PM
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 9 April 2021 at 4:24PM
    Hi x

The new mortgage numbers have arrived and are in the ball park of what we anticipated (includes interest from completion date). The official numbers as at this morning are; 

Mortgage 1 (Ported from old home due to fees of closing early) - £40,018.75
    Mortgage 2 (New bit) - £101,997.88

We have chased a few bits ands pieces up that can now be actioned - 

1. Chased a £135 refund from Estate Agent for marketing pack that was to be refunded upon completion (they had a lot of people putting houses on and pulling back off so were losing money on these at the time we went to market with our home). 

2. Chased refund from mortgage lender as they had given our solicitor the wrong redemption fee, but the week it would have taken to sort would have collapsed the chain (as it was spotted by us 2 days before completion once the solicitors bill landed). So we paid it on the proviso it was refunded asap. That has now flagged on our joint account as coming in on Monday (Just over £1100 coming back into the pot). 

3. I have sent OH MSE weekly newsletter with the details of claiming 2021/22 tax rebate for working from home - just need to follow up that he has actioned it. 

4. Water company have notified us of a £4ish credit that will be carried forward from our old address (same provider at new house). 

5. Car Insurers have notified us of a refund as OH has 9 years NCB - he couldn't recall whether it was protected as he had an accident (went 50/50 as there was no independent evidence to prove other party in wrong  :() and so to be safe he said 3 years NCB. 

OH and I have agreed to have a money meeting this evening to make sure that the money we have is being utilised to it's fullest. From the pot of money we had set aside, we have paid this years car insurance in full for both cars at new address and bought a new sofa and chair set for the house, again paid in full from pot we put aside. We did use the credit card for the initial purchases to get the section 47? cover, but it has always been planned to pay it off in full (why do I hear Martin Lewis shouting INNNN FULLLL in my head whilst I type this?)   :smiley:

We have agreed the next stage of works with a builder recommended by a family member and then we need to work out in what priority order the next jobs should be tackled and what needs to wait (want not a need) and spend our money on the needs first. We're also going back and forth about mortgage OP's and where they rank in the priorities ... it's going to be an interesting one!
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    OH has been off this week so we've been tackling jobs around the house as well as getting some time together as a family. More jobs have been ticked off, so we feel like we're making progress which is always good. We still have a fair way to go, but we have a list of priorities in place and have started to work through them. 

Due to some bigger jobs having to be bought forward, we will be only sending token payments towards the mortgage for the foreseeable future (account round downs etc). I have also reviewed how I will allocate the housekeeping money and have amended my budget accordingly. I have also started a 'want' list that I can work my way through as and when extra income is available. I'm approaching things a bit more evenly sending little bits to different pots while we get these big jobs out of the way. 

1 week until payday, I have enough money to do a top up shop, buy a birthday cake for DD1 and money for DD1 birthday card (saving for a new bike). DD2 birthday done and she was a happy bunny. She had a few presents she really wanted then the rest as money from relatives. Mixed feedback on the 'lack' of gifts, but they don't want much and then when they do see something they have the money available or it can go into their savings accounts. 

Anyway, I hope you're well where ever you are xxx
    19.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HI MFD - sounds like you are getting on top of things and settling in to your new home. All your plans sound positive! Hope you are getting to enjoy some sunshine too