Help with 3rd party without MOT

Comments

• ncfcfan
    ncfcfan Posts: 124
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    DUTR wrote: »
    A446 towards Lichfield?
    Then yes that makes it look clearer and one of those dodgy accident hotspots around the midlands like the M5 J4 roundabout similar incidents occur there :(

Yes, correct.

Super annoying, no CCTV and no witnesses despite it being rush hour. Usually someone stops and asks if you're ok. Not this time!
  • a.turner
    a.turner Posts: 655
    First Post
    Forumite
    ncfcfan wrote: »
    https://www.google.com/maps/@52.4809675,-1.7078715,3a,75y,64.17h,70.36t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sV6zhfQgO8XRJvQ9e_zTLNQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

If you can, take a look at the google maps link. Fingers crossed it takes you to the right place.

I was in the inside lane, coming off at this exit. There is no lane change from me. He left his lane, cutting across me, as if to miss this exit entirely.

So you've come from the M6 going towards Coleshill in lane 2. Hes in lane 1 and you intended to take the A446 towards Cokeshill in lane 2 and he wants to come round the front of you effectively doing a U turn from lane 1?
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,603
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    almillar wrote: »

EDIT:

OP - the lane you were in should be referred to as lane 3, or the outside lane. I understand that it's the 'inside' of the roundabout, but convention generally would call that the outside lane, as opposed to nearside, being beside the kerb, on a road.

Thanks, and that is precisely the way I saw it and why I posted as I did up thread!
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 20 June 2019 at 3:25PM
    a.turner wrote: »
    So you've come from the M6 going towards Coleshill in lane 2. Hes in lane 1 and you intended to take the A446 towards Cokeshill in lane 2 and he wants to come round the front of you effectively doing a U turn from lane 1?

The section of road in question is a partial roundabout (if there is such a thing).
    From what the OP is trying to describe is that it's a dual lane road and the vehicle in the left lane is was attempting to turn right.
    As it happens at this same point the road curves to the left.

Also as it happens the road markings there at the time of the picture was being updated. ETA the markings have always been that way.

The driver in the left lane would not could not know that the driver of the vehicle to his right was intending to use the same A446 road that he was already on (no signalling of intent (but at the same time no need to)), and vice versa.

It will be a pain to resolve and cost and resource may lead to a shared liability conclusion.

I'd be surprised if this sort of incident doesn't occur several times a month.
  • Jumblebumble
    Jumblebumble Posts: 1,800
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    sevenhills wrote: »
    Click on the link and enter his registration number. See how long he was without MOT and if there are any advisories, like brakes, that could have a bearing on the acident.

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
    Are these the same brakes that the driver would no doubt claim were subsequently fixed.?
    In any event I fail to see how an advisory could have any bearing what ever on a subsequent accident.
  • Jumblebumble
    Jumblebumble Posts: 1,800
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    It could be why he collided with me.

How can he prove otherwise without a valid MOT certificate?
    He doesn't need to prove anything
    You do!
    Did you know that cars over 40 years old do not need an MOT ?
  • debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    Most accidents which occur on roundabouts get settled on a split liability basis.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,824
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    In any event I fail to see how an advisory could have any bearing what ever on a subsequent accident.

DUTR wrote: »
    It will be a pain to resolve and cost and resource may lead to a shared liability conclusion.

If the OP felt hard done by, then he may well be informing the Police about a car being driven on the road without a valid MOT.
  • a.turner
    a.turner Posts: 655
    First Post
    Forumite
    sevenhills wrote: »
    If the OP felt hard done by, then he may well be informing the Police about a car being driven on the road without a valid MOT.

That's already been suggested.
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 21 June 2019 at 6:05AM
    I'm not sure how you've got here.
    Cos the highway code tells you to look inside(to your left) when exiting a roundabout. And common sense. How does your mot look?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure