Help with 3rd party without MOT

Comments

• a.turner
    a.turner Posts: 655
    First Post
    Forumite
    ncfcfan wrote: »
    It could be why he collided with me.

How can he prove otherwise without a valid MOT certificate?

By producing a reciept for a new wiper blade.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,165
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Correct.

However there were 3 lanes.

1 going left only (1st exit) and two going straight over. There isn't a 3rd exit.
    So you crossed from lane 2 into lane 1, and collided with the TP. Had you checked your mirrors? Were you signalling?
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879
    Forumite

Or it could not, I think even Yodi with all his midichlorians would know. He could of bought a new wiper blade or it could of worked fine, it passed on MOT over a year ago.

Your barking up the wrong tree if you think the fact there was an advisory on an MOT over 12 months ago for a wiper blade and it was raining when you collided while it was raining or the fact that there was no MOT would prove the other driver was negligent.

It happened on a roundabout and you were in the middle lane = 50/50 at best.

Report him to the police if it makes you feel better, they will do nothing.
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    No chance the mot is relevant here. Mumbles something about highway code and checking vehicles inside of you on roundabouts.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Car_54 wrote: »
    So you crossed from lane 2 into lane 1, and collided with the TP. Had you checked your mirrors? Were you signalling?

There's damage to the front of his car, suggesting mirrors probably weren't needed.... :beer:
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite

You are mistaken if you believe any car with a "valid" MOT means that car is roadworthy!

There's no mileage in this angle at all for you!
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,172
    Forumite

He doesn't have to prove otherwise.

Either he drove into you - in which case he is liable regardless of whether his car was i perfect condition or whether it was a deathtrap. Or you drove into him - in which case you are liable regardless of whether his car was in perfect condition or a deathtrap. In other words, the condition of his car is a distraction. You need to concentrate on who drove into whom. - and if you can't prove that you're looking at 50/50. The fact that at some point over a year ago he might have had a slightly dodgy wiper blade (but not dodgy enough to fail an MOT0 is not going to help you in the slightest.

Unfortunately roundabout accidents do have a habit of going 50/50. You claim that he encroached into your lane, he claims that you encroached into his lane, with no witnesses and no video it's very hard to prove who is right.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,165
    Forumite
    Aretnap wrote: »

Unfortunately roundabout accidents do have a habit of going 50/50. You claim that he encroached into your lane, he claims that you encroached into his lane, with no witnesses and no video it's very hard to prove who is right.
    By the OP’s own account, he had to cross the other party’s lane to exit. It sounds as though 50/50 would be a lucky escape.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    By the OP’s own account, he had to cross the other party’s lane to exit. It sounds as though 50/50 would be a lucky escape.

And had damage to the front of his car, suggesting the other car was more or less level when he did so.
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,603
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    edited 19 June 2019 at 11:12PM
    No chance.

I was in the inside lane going straight over a roundabout (as per the road markings). I indicated to come off and the vehicle on my outside cut across me.

There is damage to the front of my car, corroborating these events.
    If I've understood you correctly, you were in lane 2 (right) and the TP in lane 1 (left). Is this correct?
    Correct.

However there were 3 lanes.

1 going left only (1st exit) and two going straight over. There isn't a 3rd exit.

Those statements of positioning don't add up to me, surely OP in centre of 3 lanes, the lane to the left of OP was to take first exit only, the centre lane (OPs), and the lane to the right of the OP both going straight ahead at 2nd exit, the 3rd party cut across the OP from the right not left.

The only thing I think we don't know is whether there are still two lanes leaving the roundabout straight ahead where OP was intending to go, or was it a merge into one, which could have a bearing on the 3rd party move prior to the collision.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure