Am I entitled to any benefits? (Average income earner)

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You'd have to use your large cash deposit up first.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • dealer_wins
    dealer_wins Posts: 7,334 Forumite
    No comment fear of PPR
  • Autumn86
    Autumn86 Posts: 275 Forumite
    elsien wrote: »
    You'd have to use your large cash deposit up first.

Use my deposit for what? :huh:

I'm saving up all my salary each month to use as a deposit to buy an apartment next year.
  • just_trying
    just_trying Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Autumn86 wrote: »

I'm saving up all my salary each month to use as a deposit to buy an apartment next year.

Hmmm live and not rely on others? ??
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!

To live off. As with more than 16K in the bank you will not be getting any benefits if you reduce your working hours.

Benefits are there are a safety net not because you want to save all your wages to buy a home.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    How about this. Work hard, earn as much as you can to support yourself. I know as a concept it's a bit "out there" but hey, give it a go.

Benefits are there for people who NEED them, not because they fancy having their income supplemented so they can work less hours, whilst saving for a deposit on a flat. Seriously!!!
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    How about increasing your working hours by taking on an extra shift a week thus increasing your disposable income - plus you will be home less so will spend less as well, double bonus.
    Many people work 2+ jobs and way more than 36 hrs a week to provide a better life - why won't/can't you ?
    You sound like much of the younger society nowadays - you want everything in life now whilst putting minimal effort into getting it (or expecting others to provide it for you)
  • OP lives in hope that a drop in hours and house prices would suit their life. Unfortunately yes it would, but after this, I doubt they’d get a mortgaging their hoped for crash?
    I didn't default/embezzel any debt.

Back in 2008/9 I took out just over 10.5k on credit-cards,
    but as I didn't make any repayments the money just got put into the big pile of accounts to be written off via statute-barring.

(Theoretically yes on their end they would of classed my account in default, as they would of been counting the number of payments not-recieved, but as no payments were made, well none were 'missed' as such).

And you can call me a troll/think im pretending to of had £10,500+ of creditcards taken out in 2008 just written off due to me not making any payments,
    but what exactly do you think caused the 2008 credit-crunch then...?? :rotfl:

You do realise that unless millions of people had done exactly what I did, and not repay money taken from the banks, there would of been no credit-crunch.
    But so conversely given that there was a credit-crunch, there are millions of people like me out there, and yes some/many of us will also be on the website.... :beer:
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    edited 9 June 2019 at 9:09AM
    I appreciate that the benefits probably wouldn't supplement the entire income-differential,
    but I simply want to review all the available options, so I can then make an informed comparison & decision based on the different options. :)

So you are happy for the tax payer to fund your life, whilst you are fully capable of earning a wage? Oh dear! maybe you are not aware that the benefits system was set up to help those who actually need it. You are fortunate that you are able to work. Many people cannot. I would love to be earning my own money again, but with a severely disabled son who cannot be left alone, even for a few minutes, I am unable to do so. Instead, I am relying on benefits, and really wish that I wasn't.

As for 'probably' not supplementing the difference, how about definitely will not supplement it. And of course, there is no reason that benefits should support you, as you are capable of working and earning your own money. Trying to work the system so that you work fewer hours and the tax payers of this country support you is, quite frankly

- edited because the board is about entitlement only. As far as I can see, you would not be entitled to financial support from benefits as you will still be earning too much. You could also face a sanction for reducing hours that you are capable of working.
  • Autumn86
    Autumn86 Posts: 275 Forumite
    edited 11 June 2019 at 12:19AM
    calleyw wrote: »
    To live off. As with more than 16K in the bank you will not be getting any benefits if you reduce your working hours.

Benefits are there are a safety net not because you want to save all your wages to buy a home.

Yours

Calley x

Why would I need to spend any of my savings on day-to-day living costs when my salary already more than covers them (plus leaves me with a very large spare monthly-excess of money)... :huh:

My savings are my own personal money though, not the business of the government/benefits service/or anyone else;
    And so I'm perfectly entitled to simply withdraw it all into cash, do whatever I want with that cash, for whatever reason I choose to do whatever it is that I do with it, and don't have to 'prove' to anyone what I did with it. :)

I am not interested in 'the moralities' of the benefits system (as moralities are irrelevant in the modern-world tbh),
    I simply am reviewing the system from a numerical and unbias perspective, to see if any decent financial opportunities could be made use of through it. :money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure