Am I entitled to any benefits? (Average income earner)

Autumn86
Autumn86 Posts: 275 Forumite
edited 8 June 2019 at 6:18PM in Benefits & tax credits
Hello I just wondered if anyone knew of any benefits which I am entitled to based on my salary?

I used to claim various benefits for multiple years, and so was very knowledgable about them all;
However that was many years ago now, but so am not especially well-versed with what the current available benefits out there area... :huh:

I work full-time (36 hours per week / 3x 12-hour shifts), and my monthly take-home pay (after tax) is between £1,960 - £2,050.
I get paid at an enhanced rate for every shift which is a night shift (so every alternate week) + for all shifts which are on weekends, so my pay can vary by around £100 either way each month.

So my yearly salary is just over 30k,
which whilst I appreciate doesn't put me in poverty, as someone who lives/works in the London area this is probably slightly below average wage.

I'm aged in my late 20s, not married, and don't have any kids, so know I don't qualify for any child benefits;
But wondered if I qualify for any other benefits or tax-breaks such as working-tax credits?

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    You can no longer claim tax credits because all areas are now a full universal credit area so it would be that. As you're single with no children then it's unlikely but use a benefits calculator and it will tell you if you can or not. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/
  • Autumn86
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    You can no longer claim tax credits because all areas are now a full universal credit area so it would be that. As you're single with no children then it's unlikely but use a benefits calculator and it will tell you if you can or not. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/

Thankyou. :beer:

I have used that website but sadly I don't qualify for any benefits. :(

I will play around with that to test out that if I reduce my hours at work (to working 2-days per week rather than 3-days per week | So 24-hours per week), if that would result in me qualifying for any benefits money... ect

Thanks for your help though.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Do you think that you would qualify for £650+ benefits per month by doing that?
  • gbhxu
    gbhxu Posts: 332 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Op are you taking the p****?
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Autumn86 wrote: »
    Thankyou. :beer:

I have used that website but sadly I don't qualify for any benefits. :(

I will play around with that to test out that if I reduce my hours at work (to working 2-days per week rather than 3-days per week | So 24-hours per week), if that would result in me qualifying for any benefits money... ect

Thanks for your help though.

If you worked fewer hours to qualify for benefits, the benefits would not pay you as much as your wages. I'm not sure why you would want to decrease your income.
  • gbhxu
    gbhxu Posts: 332 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    unforeseen wrote: »
    Do you think that you would qualify for £650+ benefits per month by doing that?
    Exactly!

£650 is a little over 5 weeks benefit for me.
  • poppy12345
    Autumn86 wrote: »
    It doesn't work like that...
  • poppy12345
    You will also be sanctioned for reducing your hours to claim UC.
  • Teahfc
    Teahfc Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    gbhxu wrote: »
    Op are you taking the p****?

Only 4 months ago :

Originally Posted by Autumn86 View Post
    I personally can't wait for the No-Deal Crash which is now basically 100% guaranteed!

*Property prices will hopefully crash,
    meaning prospective buyers like me with large cash deposits will be able to buy a property for a much cheaper price.

*There will be a shortage of available staff to cover essential public-sector jobs such as NHS, so pay will be forced even higher for jobs such as mine.

Brilliant stuff ~ Don't get why people aren't cheering & celebrating this property price correction.

WUM or Bull Shi**er.
    "Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain."

''Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.''
  • Autumn86
    If you worked fewer hours to qualify for benefits, the benefits would not pay you as much as your wages. I'm not sure why you would want to decrease your income.

I appreciate that the benefits probably wouldn't supplement the entire income-differential,
    but I simply want to review all the available options, so I can then make an informed comparison & decision based on the different options. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure