Discuss the Netflix Hacks guide

Options
MSE_Kelvin
MSE_Kelvin Posts: 341 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
edited 19 October 2021 at 8:11PM in TV MoneySaving
Hello there,

We've written a new guide on Netflix Hacks and would love your feedback on it.

Please let us know if you find it helpful, what we could do to improve it and if you have any other tips you think we should add.

Thanks in advance for your help!

MSE Kelvin :)

Comments

• cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Under point 2 -
    The Netflix split trick – watch on your own device for as little as £3/mth
    What's more, you don’t have to worry about messing up one another’s watchlists or where you've got up to with a particular show or film, as you can create a separate profile for each person sharing the plan, allowing each of you to tailor Netflix to your tastes.

This may not be true. I have a smart TV that has the Netflix App on it, but it doesn't register different profiles. If I view through that I see everything my son and I have watched. But if I watch Netflix through my NowTV stick or Firestick I do see the different profiles we set up in the account.
    Cheryl
  • MSE_Kelvin
    MSE_Kelvin Posts: 341 MSE Staff
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hey cw18,

Thanks for the feedback.

May I ask what model of smart TV you have?

MSE Kelvin
    cw18 wrote: »
    Under point 2 -

This may not be true. I have a smart TV that has the Netflix App on it, but it doesn't register different profiles. If I view through that I see everything my son and I have watched. But if I watch Netflix through my NowTV stick or Firestick I do see the different profiles we set up in the account.
  • 2013yearofthehouse
    2013yearofthehouse Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 5 June 2019 at 1:46AM
    Options
    Some Netflix users - MSE Rosie is one of them - have found that if you cancel Netflix before your free trial is up you may eventually be sent an email offering you another 30-day trial. Yet this could take months, or even a year, and there's no guarantee Netflix sends these emails to everyone who has signed up for a trial.

We've also seen suggestions that if you contact Netflix via phone or live chat when your free trial is up and ask politely for it be extended, Netflix may be willing to offer you another 30 days free. Again though, there's no guarantee.

Let us know if you've been offered a second free trial in the Netflix Hacks forum thread.

I’ve been offered quite a few 30 day free trials over the years. All offers were via “enjoy another free trial” emails, sent out of the blue. I’ve never contacted them or asked them about free trials.

I had the free trial when I first joined and then paid for the next month straight after that before cancelling. Then 2 months after I’d cancelled they offered me another free month, which this time I cancelled before paying for any further months. Almost a year later I was offered another free month, which I took and then another one 3 months after that and another one 3 months after that. I didn’t get any offers for 6 months after that, so I paid for a month, but just 1 month after I cancelled it they offered another free month. I didn’t take them up on it this time and they continued to offer me a free month every month for the next 7 months (every offer was a “limited” offer that had to be activated within a month, but when each one expired they just automatically emailed a new one!). I took them up on the 7th offer and enjoyed another free month, but also paid for the next month straight after before cancelling. That was 6 months ago and no offers since.

So basically I’ve had 9 months of Netflix (spread out over a few years), but only had to pay for 3 of them......

Free month
    Paid month (basic)
    Free month
    Free month
    Free month
    Free month
    Paid month (basic)
    Free month (after 7 months of free offers)
    Paid month (basic)

Not sure there’s any rhyme or reason to their offers though! :D
  • jinkssick
    jinkssick Posts: 1,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    One that I have been using for a few months involves paying in Turkish Lira on Turkey Netflix (use a free vpn) using a fee free card like Starling and currently paying £2.39 a month for basic package. And yes, the very same UK netflix but I am billed in Turkish Lira monthly.
    Save saynoto0870.com in your favorites, and stop giving companies more £££ dialling 0870 numbers when you can dial freephones or cheaper alternatives
    call your credit card company, tell them that you want to leave, 99% of the time theyll lower your APR%
    Remember when that Bank Manager or Salesperson smiles at you, all he sees is £ notes. Dont forget the motto, "the wider their grin, the more debt your in"
  • Hodgie
    Hodgie Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you for the hacks.
    They're excellent if you can use them. Unfortunately, I can't.

My thoughts and action are as follows: -
    They have increased my subscriptions by just over 20% (£9.99 to £11.99).
    I don't know of anyone who has had a 20% pay rise from their company.
    I don't know of a (trustworthy) savings account that gives a 20% return.
    I don't know of anyone who has had a 20% increase on their state benefits.

I know it's boring but my subscription was cancelled within an hour of me being informed of the increase.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    cw18 wrote: »
    Under point 2 -

We have a Sony Android model and it certainly shows profiles for us. have you checked for any possible updates for your TV.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I thought that to "hack" meant to gain unauthorised/illicit access. Is this what MSE are suggesting with this thread?
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yup, not really a hack, just common sense.
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hodgie wrote: »
    Thank you for the hacks.
    They're excellent if you can use them. Unfortunately, I can't.

My thoughts and action are as follows: -
    They have increased my subscriptions by just over 20% (£9.99 to £11.99).
    I don't know of anyone who has had a 20% pay rise from their company.
    I don't know of a (trustworthy) savings account that gives a 20% return.
    I don't know of anyone who has had a 20% increase on their state benefits.

I know it's boring but my subscription was cancelled within an hour of me being informed of the increase.

Your looking at is as an inflation increase but they are coming from the angle of "we have been providing lots more content and will be providing more in the future so now this subscription has more value".

Since the last price increase they have added a lot more content, especially Netflix exclusive content.
  • rgpx
    rgpx Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Et voila, instant access to all the programmes and films (some are dubbed, some filmed in that language) available in that language in one place simply by selecting that profile.
    Note that some foreign language content is limited to particular countries (eg, some German language content is only accessible from Germany and/or Austria).

You can get at this content by using a VPN to "pretend" to be logging in from the relevant country.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback