Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

The War against plastic waste - Page 24

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

The War against plastic waste

edited 18 June 2019 at 8:51AM in Old Style MoneySaving
396 replies 56.8K views

Replies

• dreamingdreaming Forumite
    1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I think waste collections etc. are one of those emotive subjects as "one size does NOT fit all". My area do alternate weeks black bin(landfill stuff) on week 1, then brown (garden) & blue (all recyclables) bins on week 2. The food waste bin is collected weekly. I have no food waste as everything either gets eaten or re-used in some way, with peelings and egg-shells going into my composter. Living alone I have very little overall waste an could easily manage with a monthly collection for general waste. Since trying to reduce my plastics consumption my recyclable waste has been drastically reduced so that could easily be monthly. The garden waste (still free so far here) varies - in summer I can easily fill it between the fortnightly collections but in winter it is hardly used at all. Then there are households like my eldest's where one partner is disabled and needs to use adult nappies - which have to be disposed in the general waste. I was very surprised that there does not seem to be a facility for this type of disposal, but they would probably need two or three bins collected weekly for this alone. Also due their other disabilities (both have ASD) they tend to have their groceries delivered which comes in plastic bags and tends to be mainly ready meals in plastic containers or tined stuff, so their recyclable waste is also greater than mine. Despite me offering to helkp with shopping/cooking etc. they want (and are entitled) to live their lives in their way. So as I said, one size definitely does not fit all. There are those of us who try our best to reduce overall waste, those who can't manage easily, those who don't really know how to reduce things, and those who frankly don't care. Then, of course, there are larger families who could probably do with twice weekly rubbish collections.
    I think in some countries (America?) residents are charged separately for rubbish collection - I'm sure I have seen on Non-Consumer Advocate blog that she and her neighbour share the cost for their waste collection. Maybe there is a way to charge households separately according to their needs. Meanwhile, I try not to worry too much about what other people are doing and concentrate on making sure I am doing all I can.
  • halogenhalogen Forumite
    426 posts
    Re bringing own bags.

- always carry around a fold-up type shopping bag in handbag and then you don't have to remember (as you've always got it with you).
    I don't carry a handbag....
  • whiteguineapigwhiteguineapig Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Me neither, we struggled at first to remember to put them back in the car, so now when we have unpacked the shopping we hang them on the front door handle ready to go back in the car for next time
  • Nick_CNick_C Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    dreaming wrote: »
    I think in some countries (America?) residents are charged separately for rubbish collection - I'm sure I have seen on Non-Consumer Advocate blog that she and her neighbour share the cost for their waste collection. Maybe there is a way to charge households separately according to their needs. Meanwhile, I try not to worry too much about what other people are doing and concentrate on making sure I am doing all I can.

In Ireland, householders are charged by weight for the amount of household waste that they present for collect. Wheelie bins contain micro chips, and the weight is recorded by the bin lift on the refuse collection vehicle.

I do not like this system. I think in urban areas in particular, it will cause more fly tipping and people putting waste in their neighbour's bin. It also introduces a further element of cost and bureaucracy into a service that is actually surprisingly cheap to run and which accounts for a very small proportion of your Council Tax.
  • MoneySeeker1MoneySeeker1 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    The first question I would ask if there was any question of attempting to charge me for waste collection would be "Can you tell me how much you are going to reduce my Council Tax by then please? Obviously you will have to reduce it by at least enough to cover me having to pay directly for rubbish disposal".

All the more the case, as I am paying 75% (rather than 50%) of my house Council Tax bill (being single) and, with this being a pretty rural area, then I'm getting very little indeed for my CT anyway.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • DigForVictoryDigForVictory Forumite
    11.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The answer to remembering anything is, in this instance:
    - always carry around a fold-up type shopping bag in handbag and then you don't have to remember (as you've always got it with you).
    I spent a happy hour kondo folding into little samosas every bag I could lay hands on. My family looked at me as if I had opted to wear a polka dot bikini & sing Rule Britannia whilst at the school gates...
    I then left the bags all behind.
    Me neither, we struggled at first to remember to put them back in the car, so now when we have unpacked the shopping we hang them on the front door handle ready to go back in the car for next time
    As I get most of the groceries & I drive, I came up with a cheat - having taken my bags for life & folded them into neat flat squares. (The handles hold them folded.) I lob at least 7 folded bags for life into a juco tote & then stash at least three prepped totes under the back seat. The lads don't realise & I can go shopping on three trips without leaving All my Bags Behind.

Since we upgraded a bit to the essentially rectangular tank bags (I was seduced the by the Aldi fruitcake & tea bags & it got a bit out of hand from there), which nest, I have at least two semi rigid nests in the boot. They are too capacious for car boot sales though, so it's a tote & bags for life there every time!
  • Nick_CNick_C Forumite
    6.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    My Council Tax is £52.25 a week. The cost of the waste service is £4.04 a week.
  • dreamingdreaming Forumite
    1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Nick_C wrote: »
    My Council Tax is £52.25 a week. The cost of the waste service is £4.04 a week.
    Nick_C wrote: »
    In Ireland, householders are charged by weight for the amount of household waste that they present for collect. Wheelie bins contain micro chips, and the weight is recorded by the bin lift on the refuse collection vehicle.

I do not like this system. I think in urban areas in particular, it will cause more fly tipping and people putting waste in their neighbour's bin. It also introduces a further element of cost and bureaucracy into a service that is actually surprisingly cheap to run and which accounts for a very small proportion of your Council Tax.
    The first question I would ask if there was any question of attempting to charge me for waste collection would be "Can you tell me how much you are going to reduce my Council Tax by then please? Obviously you will have to reduce it by at least enough to cover me having to pay directly for rubbish disposal".

All the more the case, as I am paying 75% (rather than 50%) of my house Council Tax bill (being single) and, with this being a pretty rural area, then I'm getting very little indeed for my CT anyway.

I wasn't particularly supporting the "pay per pound" waste disposal charges (although if the difficulties could be removed it could focus people's minds wonderfully), just pointing out that all we can really do is concentrate on our own little bit of the plastic waste problem despite others' inability (for whatever reason) to do so. Reduce, Re-use, Recycle is definitely the way to go with Reduce being the most important.
    Council Tax isn't the ideal solution but at the moment it is probably the best we have - even if we have to pay for the unable and recalcitrant.
  • greenbee wrote: »
    That's great news Tori.

We don't have food waste collection in Hampshire. In fact, where I am, they have very excitedly announced they'll be collecting glass (separately) on a monthly basis from October. So a bit behind the times...

Greenbee in Eastleigh we have weekly food collection the recycle and grey bin get collected every other week and a monthly glass collection guess it's the local council decision
    I read the other day that Hampshire county council have declared climate emergency
    Emma :hello:
  • Nick_CNick_C Forumite
    6.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I read the other day that Hampshire county council have declared climate emergency

Pointless posturing