Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

The War against plastic waste - Page 23

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

The War against plastic waste

edited 18 June 2019 at 9:51AM in Old Style MoneySaving
396 replies 56.7K views

Replies

• tori.ktori.k Forumite
    3.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Step forward for Cornwall council, credit where its due ( as its rare enough)
    Finally they have agreed to switch the refuse collections recycling and food waste weekly, back bag waste fortnightly from next year.
    Its been quite a fight to get there.
    I imagine the place will be a mess for a while as those ardently refuse to comply but should soon settle down as it becomes the new norm.
    Hopefully in a few years when dry bins are the norm they can then push for monthly collections of black bag waste.
  • greenbeegreenbee Forumite
    14.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's great news Tori.

We don't have food waste collection in Hampshire. In fact, where I am, they have very excitedly announced they'll be collecting glass (separately) on a monthly basis from October. So a bit behind the times...
  • never_too_oldnever_too_old Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    greenbee wrote: »
    That's great news Tori.

We don't have food waste collection in Hampshire. In fact, where I am, they have very excitedly announced they'll be collecting glass (separately) on a monthly basis from October. So a bit behind the times...
    its strange Im in Wokingham so not far from Hampshire border.we have food waste collected.Reading dont bu west Berks also close have bottles but not food waste.
    How great would our recycling figures be if all councils did the same.
    £2020 in 2020 challenge no 100 £11.75/£2020
    1% challenge no 70
    2019 Frugal Living Challenge

£2077.52 / 2019
  • never_too_oldnever_too_old Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    tori.k wrote: »
    Step forward for Cornwall council, credit where its due ( as its rare enough)
    Finally they have agreed to switch the refuse collections recycling and food waste weekly, back bag waste fortnightly from next year.
    Its been quite a fight to get there.
    I imagine the place will be a mess for a while as those ardently refuse to comply but should soon settle down as it becomes the new norm.
    Hopefully in a few years when dry bins are the norm they can then push for monthly collections of black bag waste.

I think the councils should fine people for not recycling:(
    £2020 in 2020 challenge no 100 £11.75/£2020
    1% challenge no 70
    2019 Frugal Living Challenge

£2077.52 / 2019
  • MoneySeeker1MoneySeeker1 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭

It's hard to break out of old ways... the number of people I see in the checkout queue still not bothering to bring a bag with them and reaching, glazed look on their faces, for yet another carrier as they spout rubbish into their mobiles...

I know exactly what you mean and my pet hate is watching people that look as if they should be intelligent enough to "realise" deliberately reaching for a plastic bag to put bananas in when they are at the fruit display. Then apparently totally oblivious they've just been given a very puzzled look.

I know many of us (including me) aren't perfect yet, but we are doing the best we can within the limitations of availability of the products we really want still to be "as good as possible".

It does lead me to wonder whether many people are bright enough to be in the jobs they are possibly doing and understand why so often they aren't, as they don't even seem to know/understand that basic a "message" as "Bring your own bags".
    Woke up in a parallel universe some months back - where it says it's Earth, it looks like Earth, some of it is familiar - but it obviously isn't Earth (because nothing makes any sort of sense any more).

Have come to the conclusion I'm living in 1930's Germany - but not going to give up hope it can be changed back to 21st century Britain-as-normal.

• Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • edited 25 July 2019 at 2:44PM
    Doom_and_GloomDoom_and_Gloom Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 July 2019 at 2:44PM
    I know exactly what you mean and my pet hate is watching people that look as if they should be intelligent enough to "realise" deliberately reaching for a plastic bag to put bananas in when they are at the fruit display. Then apparently totally oblivious they've just been given a very puzzled look.
    It's the people that put one item in each bag, or seem to think they are mandatory to use, that seem to look at me strangely when I put in several bananas, easy peelers, carrots etc into my basket with no bag at all. I don't see the point in reusable produce bags for the majority of produce so don't bother. It's a hassle and an expense (yes I know I can easily sew them for cheap but again hassle and slight expense) that I personally don't see the point. If others want to use reusable produce bags that's fair enough as they can be useful to keep like products together when buying more than one but the plastic ones should be banned!
    I have a paper bag that I got chilli peppers in from A&C that I now reuse for loose mushrooms. Simular to below.
    https://images.app.goo.gl/UqyCo9cneUhUhGzM8
    I'll reuse it until I can't anymore but it seems rather sturdy so I hope that will be a while.

tori.k those are one of the replacements I looked at. I'd buy in bulk keep them aside to send off altogether when time can to recycle, as they say best to send more all at once when sending for recycle.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • halogenhalogen Forumite
    426 posts
    they don't even seem to know/understand that basic a "message" as "Bring your own bags".
    I understand it. I just don't remember it.
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    9.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the councils should fine people for not recycling:(
    Cue an increase in fly tipping

Our Council charges for certain rubbish at the tip, like DIY rubble stuff or loads of garden waste Then complains about fly tipping
  • Mummy2cheekymonkeysMummy2cheekymonkeys Forumite
    321 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    We have just gone to a fortnightly weekend bin collection instead of black bags every week. People have done nothing but moan about how they can't fit everything in the bin. We get food waste and recycling collected every week. The council have so far refused to collect any "side rubbish" but I'm not sure how long they will continue to do this. I hate that people will fill up their wheelie bin and then have a couple of bags over then they get ripped apart by the seagulls. Normally you can see all of the recyclable stuff strewn across the road like bottles and cans. Yet these people still refuse to recycle but then moan they can't get all their rubbish in the bin!
    I have 2 young children both in nappies but I use washable nappies most of the time use the food waste bin and recycle everything I can. We normally have room to spare at the end of the fortnight.
  • MoneySeeker1MoneySeeker1 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    halogen wrote: »
    I understand it. I just don't remember it.

Re bringing own bags.

The answer to remembering anything is, in this instance:

- always carry around a fold-up type shopping bag in handbag and then you don't have to remember (as you've always got it with you).

When it comes to remembering things generally it's down to thinking "What am I going to do next time I go out? Will I need anything for it?" and putting anything that will be necessary for the next outing (of any description) in a prominent position where it will automatically be seen on going out the door. So, for instance, if it's book group night that night, then I put relevant book/s on the floor right by my handbag. If it's voluntary work duty, then my personal supplies for refreshments etc are put in the bag I will be taking with me and so on.
    Woke up in a parallel universe some months back - where it says it's Earth, it looks like Earth, some of it is familiar - but it obviously isn't Earth (because nothing makes any sort of sense any more).

Have come to the conclusion I'm living in 1930's Germany - but not going to give up hope it can be changed back to 21st century Britain-as-normal.