New Post Advanced Search

The War against plastic waste

edited 18 June 2019 at 9:51AM in Old Style MoneySaving
395 replies 56.1K views

Replies

• edited 20 July 2019 at 8:38PM
    DigForVictoryDigForVictory Forumite
    11.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 July 2019 at 8:38PM
    Someone certainly claims to on their website but I've forgotten which, sorry! Research - Lush though I notice they do not say How Many Plastic bottletops you need to bring in before they'll let you loose on their 'naked' range. Dash - I do better with a target!

I am now the possessor of a wooden toothbrush, bought whilst away on training & thinking "I keep buying these dashed things" so I took the extra step & raided Planet Organic on the Tottenham Court Road. I was very nearly seduced by their Last Straw, a telescoping straw in a pretty capsule case to go on a key-ring (never did wholly grasp where the brush was supposed to go) but thought I Have Two Packs of ordinary metal straws already which I am not using enough & went to examine their dental range. (Also what they call Titanium refers to the colour not the stainless steel metal.) They are doing a Buy One, Get One Half Price so I'm sorted.
    And I got a bamboo carrycase off eBay from China (oh the shame & guilt), as the store didn't do cases. I even got a glass & tin lidded jar of toothpaste to chivvy me in the eco direction.

I have to say the string bags are working out Brilliantly - even if it takes a bit of practice loading them & you really can't conceal purchases terribly easily. (I had sanitary stuff encapsulated in fruit - and that's next on my to investigate & sort list. You can pay over £20 for three reusable pads, which seems madness when you can both make your own & chose the fabrics etc!)
  • DigForVictoryDigForVictory Forumite
    11.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have found the waxed cloth wraps my cousin made for me for Christmas! I can absolutely see them managing lump cheese (maybe not so much the really smelly stuff, but who knows?) - and it's only the size which has me thinking maybe not sandwiches.

I shall review the ready-to-rag summer frocks to see if they have any near teatowel sized pieces so I can make a wrap that will double as a tablecloth for my desk. The Good Housekeeping method for making your own wraps is here.
  • SupersaveraSupersavera Forumite
    15 posts
    10 Posts
    Great thread, we must spread the word and encourage people to recycle and care about nature
    A bit off the topic:
    Just yesterday I've read a post about artificial grass and was shocked that people use it insted of natural lawn in their yards and wash it with chemicals. They just get rid of grass and spoil the soil and ground water I suppose. It's all just becase they are too lazy to mow.
    I'm in shock:mad:
    We don’t inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.
  • I was wondering if we couldn't have another thread specifically related to tips and ideas for reducing plastic stuff purchases.

Even quite small changes would be useful, to modify a thought from Mr Tesco... and there must be people out there who have thought of ways which we could all use.

Every plastic toothbrush ever made in the world since the 1950s is still somewhere on the planet... and yet these have existed all along:

https://www.google.com/search?q=wooden+toothbrushes&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiYmL6i4srjAhVxs3EKHd4_BpcQ_AUIEigC&biw=1440&bih=757
  • marybmaryb Forumite
    4.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The difference using a decent electric toothbrush has made to my teeth and gums means that is one area where I'm not prepared to compromise. But I believe Terracycle offer recycling facilities for all types of dental products if there's a drop off point nearby
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • tori.ktori.k Forumite
    3.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wooden toothbrushes to far for me :) the bristles are nylon 6 unless you go the real deal and have pig hair like back in the Victorian era.
    I think this is where it starts to tip into hairy shirt for me, where plastic becomes vilified I probably use between four and six toothbrush heads a year on my waste so around 24 max for my household im happy enough with that.
  • Doom_and_GloomDoom_and_Gloom Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    The annoying thing with replacement heads is they usually come in plastic blister (clam) packs too aswell (or simular plastic packaging) as the little plastic holding with cardboard back as they are individually wrapped!
    Yes I use an electric toothbrush myself and bought many heads ages ago. Before I run out I'm going to buy a compatible head set that instead of coming in the plastic as well are packed in cardboard. There are unfortunately some areas due to a disability and having less energy that I have difficulty doing. I would much prefer the bamboo brush even with it's nylon bristles as less plastic overall but my dental hygyine would suffer greatly.
    Waiting for a bamboo head that is compatible with my toothbrush...
    There are facilities you can send the heads to and they recycle them but recycling in my view is not the goal with plastic, although a good thing to do, it is reducing it as much as possible.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • tori.ktori.k Forumite
    3.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Depending on your toothbrush Livecoco do plastic free packaging its plastic heads you can return to them for recycling if you wish as they are black plastic so non household recyclable.
  • Just returned from a trip to Tesco: serried ranks of plastic toothbrushes, in plastic packaging, as far as the eye can see.

Using a wooden toothbrush, even with nylon bristles, dispenses with 98% of the plastic input...

... and I suspect this industry-pushed mantra of 'electric (yet more energy use) being better than manual' is over-stated - my dentist is perfectly happy with manual provided it's done properly.

This is just one, relatively minor issue but it's typical of the syndrome where gullible consumers swallow the marketing... and the use of plastic products... uncritically and even unthinkingly.

It's hard to break out of old ways... the number of people I see in the checkout queue still not bothering to bring a bag with them and reaching, glazed look on their faces, for yet another carrier as they spout rubbish into their mobiles...
  • DigForVictoryDigForVictory Forumite
    11.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My sister is giving me a set of pure linen napkins that came to her charity shop! All 4, but hurrah - real linen to wrap things in - even better for the planet than cotton, and vintage, and charity shop sourced. <Smug but Eco moment!>