The War against plastic waste - Page 19

New Post Advanced Search

The War against plastic waste

edited 18 June 2019 at 9:51AM in Old Style MoneySaving
394 replies 55.8K views

Replies

• DigForVictoryDigForVictory Forumite
    11.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I now see Morrisons sell reusable boxes but the lids do not look as secure as lock & lock or sistema.

I have found an assortment of silicon cover for bowls & absolutely see how they could make clingfilm redundant - until my family saw the covers & freaked at the undulating blue silicon and freaked.
    I have yet to figure an intelligent & successful method of arguing with idiots, and so the silicon covers will be regifted to an eco-passionate cousin while I carry on trying to coax the lads into habits that mean they have more choice in the future...
  • GladGlad Forumite, Board Guide
    18.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi all can I join the thread :)

I'm trying to seriously reduce my purchase of any plastic, I usually shop in Aldi but started to visit Morrisons too as there are more options there. As well as not purchasing plastic I'm refusing to buy anything that has packaging that can't be recycled e.g. stopped buying tomato puree in a tube, if we need it I buy it in a tin instead.

Does anyone know where I can easily buy butter that has recyclable packaging?
    STAY HOME - PROTECT THE NHS - SAVE LIVES
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
    11.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For butter I was going to suggest waitrose (not one of the big 4, I know), but I see it has switched its packaging to non-recyclable.
    Home bargains May be your friend here - it's an activist website but it has to be worth trying!
  • thriftwizardthriftwizard Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    One thing that makes non-recyclable butter wrappers slightly less environmentally-damaging is to use them to grease baking trays etc. Takes it from single-use to two uses!
    Angie

GC Aug 20 £122.99/£450
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10 used out of 68

(Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • GladGlad Forumite, Board Guide
    18.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For butter I was going to suggest waitrose (not one of the big 4, I know), but I see it has switched its packaging to non-recyclable.
    Home bargains May be your friend here - it's an activist website but it has to be worth trying!
    thank you, I'll look in Home Bargains and Iceland :)
    STAY HOME - PROTECT THE NHS - SAVE LIVES
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
  • edited 13 July 2019 at 9:25AM
    GreyQueenGreyQueen Forumite
    12.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 July 2019 at 9:25AM
    :)DforV, a few years ago, I purchased a small fleet of Pyrex tureens at bootsales, to add to the ones inherited from maternal relatives. They're anything from teacup size to teaplate size and are absolute perfection for storing leftovers/ part used veg ingredients/ part used tinned foods.

I didn't pay more than 50p for any of them. Occasionally all 4 of the middling and both of the tinies are in use at once and I have to resort to the basin-and-plate trick.

About the only use I can find for clingfilm these days is to wrap a paintbrush when taking a break from decorating. One the current elderly roll of clingfilm is used up, I won't be buying any more and I won't be missing it, either.

ETA; Oh, just remembered that you can also cook in them, I did a small rice pud in one this week with just under a pint of milk which wasn't going to keep much longer. Pyrex (or similar overproof glassware) rocks. Especially since I read the instructions on the steel scourer pack and discovered that it is recommended for cleaning Pyrex - which is a game-changer if you cook messy things in it.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • jwiljwil Forumite
    12.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The EU Single Use Plastic directive came into force this month. Because we are (currently) still members, this should apply here too as the Govt said they would follow all legislation that was in place by the time we leave.

It includes amongst other things:
    • A ban across Europe on single-use plastic cutlery, plates, straws, cotton bud sticks, plastic balloon sticks as well as on-the-go food containers and beverage cups in expanded polystyrene Effective as of July 2021.
    • An obligation to attach the cap to the bottles by 2024 and to collect separately 90% of plastic bottles by 2029.
    • The obligation for the producers of a number of single-use plastics (such as packets and wrappers, plastic bags, bottles and cups) to cover the costs of waste collection and treatment of those products as well as the costs linked to clean-ups (through so called EPR – Extended Producer Responsibility).

One thing that I like is the ban applies to compostable/biodegradable plastic as well - they 'get' that we can't replace one single use item with another, we should be reducing and reusing. (Although of course, it won't stop manufacturers using other materials such as wood/paper).

https://zerowasteeurope.eu/2019/07/plastic-free-july/?mc_cid=d825620695&mc_eid=7e7e436fb1
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    11.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing that makes non-recyclable butter wrappers slightly less environmentally-damaging is to use them to grease baking trays etc. Takes it from single-use to two uses!

Just like Granny used to, and my mum when I was a child. These thrifty ways were all about getting the most from finite resources.
  • THIRZAHTHIRZAH Forumite
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Used my new reusable produce bags in the wholefood shop today. Must remember to take a jar or tupperware type box for loose muesli in future-ended up with a fine muesli dust in my shopping bag.
    11.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What brand
    THIRZAH wrote: »
    reusable produce bags
    so others can be aware?
    I'm eyeing some of the internet offers but I have some next-stop-rags garments that could be sewn into small drawstring bags.

Turns out butter wrappers have a thriving reuse list - from pressing childrens' cereal "baking" flat, freezing hamburger patties, simply buttering sweetcorn on the cob & even wrapping your own home made caramels.

None of which Granny went in for, but the internet can keep all sorts of things live!