New Post Advanced Search

Smart meters

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
22 replies 2.1K views
GreenenergyGreenenergy Forumite
43 posts
10 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
I am due to move to a new energy provider. EDF have advised they will install a v2 meter, but British gas confirm if will be a v1 or v2.

Is it the case that different providers still install v1 meters or would British Gas be a v2 also?

Replies

• JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    15.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two different companies EDF and BG .
    Who knows if they are still installing V1.

PS what is a V1 .
  • GreenenergyGreenenergy Forumite
    43 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    My understanding is they are both SMETs but V1 cannot easily be moved between providers whereas the V2 can.
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    15.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah V1 is Smets 1.
    Yes Smets 1 may not be movable .
  • Mister_GMister_G Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    You are quite correct

V1 = SMETS1
    V2 = SMETS2

Apparently some of the later SMETS1 meters will get a software update to enable them to become smart again with any (most) supplier. When this is likely to happen, no one really seems to know, including the DCC!

A SMETS2 meter should retain its smart capabilities between supplier changes.
  • atticgirl2003atticgirl2003 Forumite
    464 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Any idea when Bulb Energy are rolling out smart meters.
  • Smart_Energy_GBSmart_Energy_GB Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    14 posts
    If you have a smart meter the process for switching suppliers is exactly the same as it is if you have a traditional meter, and you don’t need to get new smart meters if you switch suppliers. SMETS 2 meters allow customers to switch suppliers and keep full smart functionality.

We know that many people with a first-generation smart meter retain some or all of their smart function when they switch suppliers. At this point in the rollout you may find that if you switch supplier your smart meter could temporarily lose smart function, and you may need to send in your meter readings in order to get an accurate bill (just as you would with traditional meters).

If your meter loses smart functionality this can be frustrating, but this is a temporary situation. First-generation smart meters which have already been installed will soon be enrolled into the new secure smart data network 'over the air' without needing a visit from an installer. This process is due to start in summer of this year, and is due to be completed by the end of the rollout. These smart meters will then be able to deliver all the benefits of smart, with any supplier. :o
    Verified Company
    I am a verified representative of Smart Energy GB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the Verified Companies list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Its summer now !. There are forum members on here who have cast doubt as to the possibility of SMETS1 smart meters being capable of OTA upgrade to SMETS2.
    We eagerly await the first news of this actually happening.
  • Bark01Bark01 Forumite
    825 posts
    Suppliers are no longer allowed to install new S1 meters, do you should get an S2 meter no matter who you are with.

There is a derogation that allows some S1 installs to continue in the north as there are network issues that impact early S2 meters connectivity, but newer S2 meters don’t have that issue so the derogation will end soon
  • badmemorybadmemory Forumite
    3.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bark01 wrote: »
    Suppliers are no longer allowed to install new S1 meters, do you should get an S2 meter no matter who you are with.

There is a derogation that allows some S1 installs to continue in the north as there are network issues that impact early S2 meters connectivity, but newer S2 meters don’t have that issue so the derogation will end soon

Do you have this in writing - as in will not fit 1st gen meters & must fit 2nd gen meters? Does this mean that any 2nd gen meter fitted must actually work AS a 2nd gen meter?

If you think I don't trust "them" then you would be right. So prove me wrong!
  • ChinoChino Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Houbara wrote: »
    Its summer now !.
    In which country?

"When is summer?
    Summer in the meteorological calendar covers the duration of June, July and August, or by the astronomical calendar it begins around 21 June on a day referred to as the summer solstice.
    https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/learn-about/weather/seasons/summer