We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Getting rid of ivy for good

Options
baggins11
baggins11 Posts: 274 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
I have a major ivy and bramble problem which I am really struggling with. I didn't want to use any chemicals but I think I probably need to.

I wandered to an area of our plot that I hadn't looked at for a while and it is completely overrun with ivy. This is incredibly frustrating as I spent a couple of days at the end of autumn clearing this area.completely- I am obviously fighting a losing battle. It is like painting the Forth bridge and I fear I will never get on top of it.

So I am thinking I need to use chemicals. I have never used any chemical weedkillers before so please let me know if you have advice on how to deal with this.

And for the ivy/wildlife lovers - I am happy for ivy to grow in certain areas but don't want it near my house or retaining walls as it has already damaged one wall quite badly.

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,321 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The only sure one is Roundup or similar, just follow the instructions on it and take obvious precautions

Despite adverse publicity it works. With ivy you may need more than one application because the leaves are glossy so run off is inevitable
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Digging out the roots will also work, as will keeping it cut back...It's easier with brambles though, the roots are easier to dig out, they go away....
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    The only sure one is Roundup or similar, just follow the instructions on it and take obvious precautions

Despite adverse publicity it works. With ivy you may need more than one application because the leaves are glossy so run off is inevitable

Bashing the ivy before applying the glyphosate will help uptake by the plant by breaking the shiny leaf surface.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Blackberries can be cut back savagely then dug out.

Ivy is either keep hacking or
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ivy can be decorative in a garden, but letting even one or two stems of ivy to grow will create a problem if it is not cut back two or three times a year. That said, if it does take hold be prepared for several battles before you win the war. Not just one battle every year but several battles per year and for several years.
  • Justagardener
    Justagardener Posts: 307 Forumite
    edited 28 June 2019 at 9:22AM
    Options
    When there is tough weeds to kill people often shout Round Up. This is not sufficient as the round up you buy in the garden centre is not strong enough to keep ivy at bay.

You need a professional strength glyphosate (the ingredient in roundup) you can buy this easily online. A good example is Gallup 360 or rosate 360.

There is also SBK brushwood killer which will kill brambles and ivy, it's a selective so won't kill grass if you have any of that near by.
    https://theperfectgarden.co.uk/the-best-weed-killers-for-your-garden-and-how-to-use-weed-killers-successfully/
  • baggins11
    baggins11 Posts: 274 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all lots to mull over. It sounds silly but the land hasn't had any chemicals on for many years so I am reluctant to start now. Although equally I can see how overgrown it has become without any intervention.

I thought I was on to a winner this afternoon when I bumped into a lovely old chap who recommended salt and vinegar - said he had used it on ivy with success. Sounded much more eco and my sort of thing but I did a bit of research online and it sounds like that is worse than chemicals as it doesn't degrade and can make planting difficult in future.

I think I will see how much we get done this weekend clearing and take it from there.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    .... get a goat...

Or borrow one!

Physical clearance will work, but it will need repeating. Glyphosate will be faster, and it's not the monster that's portreyed.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    baggins11 wrote: »
    I thought I was on to a winner this afternoon when I bumped into a lovely old chap who recommended salt and vinegar - said he had used it on ivy with success. Sounded much more eco and my sort of thing but I did a bit of research online and it sounds like that is worse than chemicals as it doesn't degrade and can make planting difficult in future.
    Exactly. Just ask the farmers in places like the Nile Delta how much fun it is gardening on salty soil. A little salt may act as fertilizer, but a lot of it is a problem.

Unless you always buy organic veg and cereals in the shops, you will inevitably be eating produce grown on land treated with glyphosate some of the time. Farmers close to me kill whole fields off with it, then plough.
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If you cannot get the roots out, to prevent further growth from the remaining stump, I have found spraying the top of the stump with neat weed killer and injecting it into the sides of the stump through downward sloping holes which have been drilled using a 4 or 5mm diameter drill works very well. There is nothing more frustrating than to think you have removed an ivy plant to see it grow back with vigour next year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure