Investing in perfect Lego sets?

Options

Comments

• SmashedAvacado
    SmashedAvacado Posts: 1,262 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i buy a particular toy at the moment whenever it comes up on ebay. I have probably bought about 15 of them on ebay in the last 3 years. And that's pretty much all of the ones that have come up. If you control the market then you can control the price :o)
  • gary83
    gary83 Posts: 905 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    i buy a particular toy at the moment whenever it comes up on ebay. I have probably bought about 15 of them on ebay in the last 3 years. And that's pretty much all of the ones that have come up. If you control the market then you can control the price :o)

Just playing devils advocate but using that logic nobody else has bought that toy in the last 3 years, you're already controlling the price and nobody else values it the same as you or has been prepared to pay more than you, why are you convinced they'll suddenly value it more than you in the future?
  • SmashedAvacado
    SmashedAvacado Posts: 1,262 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    gary83 wrote: »
    Just playing devils advocate but using that logic nobody else has bought that toy in the last 3 years, you're already controlling the price and nobody else values it the same as you or has been prepared to pay more than you, why are you convinced they'll suddenly value it more than you in the future?

the wider market hasnt realised that its desirable yet. That's all. They will.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    boomsmitty wrote: »
    Check out:

Complete with rolling real time Lego set prices like you're watching Bloomberg.
    Bloody hell, thats a eye opener
    I received a LEGO architecture box as a thank you, which I have never opened (I used to work for them in Denmark) - and the prices are crazy
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Demand controls the price. I ran a business for many years that traded in collectible toy soldiers. I supplied a collector in Belgium that was creating a diarama of Waterloo. He hoovered up anything I could find for him at a significant price. Now prices for the same pieces are a fraction of what they were back then. Collectors are literally dying off. There's no longer the same demand. As collections come on the market regularly often through auction houses in bulk lots. Selling on Ebay is too much hassle and expensive as well.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    msallen wrote: »
    I would only consider this if you would get pleasure from collecting them in the first place - that way any profit on sale is a bonus.

I used to collect pre-WW2 football memorabilia, and though I never did the sums I suspect I made a small profit when I sold up. However I would have got the enjoyment from the collection even if I had made a loss.

I now seem to be collecting (although I haven't admitted it to myself yet) antique books with a connection to the village/county I originate from. Again I will probably dispose of most of these some years hence, and I may or may not make a profit, but that doesn't really matter to me.

(One thing I am collecting with an eye on them possibly being worth something in future, without it costing me a penny, is credit cards. I still have every credit/debit etc card I've had for the last 20-30 years. If they become collectable its been worthwhile, and if not they've cost me half a small drawer's worth of storage space)

I make them into guitar picks lol
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This thread prompted me to look up the prices of the pokemon booster boxes I bought...

I paid $50 a box (have 8 boxes) and can see folks are asking £1100 + for them... blimey that's ridiculous. No idea if that's the going rate or just speculative sales though.

Dilemma is whether to hold out I suppose. Hadn't even given them a thought for a few years but just checked on them today and they're all still uneaten, sealed, wrapped, in one piece and as they were when I got them.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • boomsmitty
    boomsmitty Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    JohnRo - nice. I wouldn't be surprised at those prices. I'm not an expert on Pokemon cards but I know that certain cards individually will cover the price of a booster box, easily.

Some collectors will buy a booster box and open the packs on YouTube. Latex gloves on and everything. Hardcore.

There's a new Pokemon movie out a the moment too which has probably stoked interest a bit.

Sell 3, keep 5.
  • Wildsound
    Wildsound Posts: 365 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'm banking on 3D Blu-rays and that in 20-30 years time, people will (still) be saying "Remember when 3D TVs tried to be a thing?!?" I got my mum a 3D blu-ray of Avatar which she never opened. I've told her not to bother!

Anyone remember mini-discs?!
  • TBC15
    TBC15 Posts: 1,453 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I’ve been looking for a suitable investment for my current portfolio. It’s mostly made up of forestry,car park slots, storage pods, fine wines, student housing and stamps.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure