What's the weirdest substitute item you've been sent?

Options
Former_MSE_Laura
Former_MSE_Laura Posts: 180 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
edited 7 July 2022 at 11:32AM in Food shopping & groceries
We recently spotted a mum explaining the odd substitute she received in her home delivery food shop. Instead of being sent a number five candle, she received a two, a two, and a one! (Read the full story here.)

This got us wondering, what are the strangest substitutes you've ever received in your home delivery?

Comments

• elljay
    elljay Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There's a hysterically funny now closed thread on this elsewhere. Hopefully I'm doing the link right.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1322337

EJ
  • MaryM1950
    MaryM1950 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    i shop at iceland and they dont subsitute thankfully...they just dont send the item !! which i prefer
    my granddaughter is vegan and shops at sainsburys and told me they sent her some normal sausages in replacement for vegan ones !! not sure what they were thinking !! she laughed and gave them to her boyfriend...
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 10 May 2019 at 12:24PM
    Options
    I always tick 'no substitutes' for this very reason!

When Tesco first issued their loyalty card, the spiel was that they would generate money off vouchers 'hand picked just for you' (or words to that effect). We received vouchers for dog food and nappies, despite our buying history showing that we were an adult/feline household.

Not so much computer error, more someone 'having a laugh'.
  • onwards&upwards
    onwards&upwards Posts: 3,423 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    On Tesco’s site you can put a note next to the item about subs. So you could choose no subs at all or you could add something like ‘subs must be vegan’ or ‘only chocolate flavour’ or ‘Flora brand only’ or whatever your preference.
  • AylesburyDuck
    Options
    I once ordered a particular coloured hair dye from Tescos , something bright and colourful if i remember and they substituted brown.:rotfl::rotfl:
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The above story is hilarious with the candles

The home shoppers, they cannot stand around dithering over the choice for too long, as they have a pick count to adhere to, and woe betide those who aren't picking 120 items off the shelves - per minute..that is what it was four years ago at a major supermarket

I don't understand those who moan, there is an option where you can click ''no substitutes''

Me, I quite like the substitutes most of the time. probably 9 times out of ten I keep them and most times they are better than what i had originally ordered
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't do online supermarket shop, but I remember reading (possibly on this site) about someone who ordered kitecat cat food and revived a multi pack of 2 finger kit Kats! And as a result had nothing to feed the cat!!
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Minced Beef Pies instead of Mince Pies. Great with Brandy Sauce - not.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I do wonder whether the beef mince pies / mince pies, and kit-e-kat / kitkats, is a case of an alphabetical substitution - they picked the next item off the stocklist.

I've never had interesting substitutions, mainly because my default is 'no substitutions' and then I only detail the few subs that I'daccept. But my Tesco does have a nice habit of substituting a book of 12 stamps for a book of 6 at no extra cost :)
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • room512
    room512 Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Stopped shopping online at Asda due to their substitutes - dog food instead of cat food (only have cats) and a chicken pizza instead of a chicken (to roast) are the two worst subs I can remember!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback