»

What's the strangest "substitute" item you've been offered on your home delivery?

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH
FOREIGN OFFICE TRAVEL ADVICE * FURLOUGH UPDATE * MORTGAGE LENDING

What's the strangest "substitute" item you've been offered on your home delivery?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
375 replies 162.7K views
Liquorice_TwirlsLiquorice_Twirls Forumite
336 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
Mine was -

I ordered 12 tins of Whiskas cat food from Asda and it was substituted with 12 tins of Pedigree Chum (dog food)!!

What were they thinking?

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Replies

• belfastgirl23belfastgirl23 Forumite
    8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Apparently the computer makes the choice.

I was offered plain flour instead of strong white bread flour - definitely no substitute! And spicy grated cheese instead of mozzarella!

• zenseekerzenseeker Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I once had a pack of Cadbury Creme Egg's substituted with a box of bog standard hens eggs.
    We have removed your signature - please contact the forum team if you are not sure why - Forum Team
  • I had a tin of fruit cocktail substituted for dried mixed fruit.
  • apples1apples1 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    I was given green loo roll instead of white from Tesco a few years back - the delivery driver was stunned when I said no thanks!!

Thankfully Sainsbury's deliver here and now and they understand that loo roll MUST only ever be white!!
    MTC NMP Membership #62 - made it back to size 12 after my children & I'm staying here!
  • I can beat them all - instead of bread I was sent a packet of brazil nuts - even the driver was confused.
    Never let your sucesses go to your head and never let your failures go to your heart.:beer:
  • I once had mixed spice substituted with allspice.
    "We have to be kind because everyone is fighting a great, great battle" - Sir Richard Attenborough
    "There is a special place in hell for women who don't help other women" - Madeleine Albright
  • I little jiff lemon juice was what I wanted- but got a single banana instead! Both are yellow i guess
    July Win: Nokia 5800
  • Ben84Ben84 Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Apparently the computer makes the choice.

That explains a few things! lol

I don't know about the other stores, but Waitrose have a no substitutions option which I always use when ordering with them.

I can't really have substituted items, they're often not suitable. I don't eat pork or seafood in any form, and I try to avoid certain combinations of food types. And just to make things more complex I don't buy anything from Nestle either. After all this a huge selection of stuff is off the shopping list, so personally it's easier to just make do without an item.
  • I once had mixed spice substituted with allspice.

happy0204.gif happy0195.gif happy0192.gif
  • :rotfl:

These substitutes are so funny lol. I've found Tesco to be most random with their substitutes. I like my microwave macaroni cheeses to take for work, and one week I ordered six. Unfortunately six microwave cauliflower cheeses turned up...not quite the same really.

I do like OPs. 12 tis of dog food instead of cat food lol. I don't think my dog would be impressed of he ended up with cat food lol
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support