Forum Home » Budgeting & Bank Accounts

Yorkshire Bank Savings Account theft - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Yorkshire Bank Savings Account theft

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
39 replies 3.3K views
124»

Replies

• Terry_TowellingTerry_Towelling Forumite
    2.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The 'exercising' continues and I'm sure one of my legs is now longer than the other.
  • McchanMcchan Forumite
    13 posts
    Yes my ISA was wiped out and the savings account has a small amount left in it, all the money has been debited from both these accounts. I can only wait and see what the outcome is from the bank to establish exactly what’s happened. It’s confusing me too.
  • Sea_ShellSea_Shell Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe you're "sleep banking" ???
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow ":beer: JOB DONE!!
    This should now read "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!! :j:j:j
  • Ben8282Ben8282 PPR
    4.8K posts
    Newshound!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mcchan wrote: »
    Only 1 payment of £700 was transferred from my savings account into my isa. This was not previously mentioned and appears somewhat strange. The transactions with the same long code are all from the isa. I don’t think it’s possible to set up any direct debit or standing order from this type of isa, from what I was told when I took it out. Cash had to be transferred into my current or savings account to access funds. I think I can agree with that. So has the money been transferred into your current account? I have made large, lump sum debits from my isa, for example my house deposit. Which is why this is really puzzling me, how the hell they could take all these transactions out. It puzzles all of us especially the lack of any information as to the type of transaction. Are these transactions really not identified by a code such as TFR, FP, CHQ etc to show the type of transaction made?with them, and was told by the fraud dept rep, it’s because it’s all computerised.
    See comments above
  • McchanMcchan Forumite
    13 posts
    Sorry I don’t understand your comment. If you are implying I’m lying, then I can categorically state this is a real nightmare. All I’m trying to do is get some advice on here for some clarity to this situation as I very limited information available to me, right now. I just wouldn’t want this happening to anyone it’s very stressful and worrying
  • Sea_ShellSea_Shell Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's just all SO strange... we're all trying to see how it's all happened and can't make head nor tail of it either from what you've told us.

Sorry, I should have put a winking emoji.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow ":beer: JOB DONE!!
    This should now read "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!! :j:j:j
  • edited 10 May 2019 at 9:23PM
    Ben8282Ben8282 PPR
    4.8K posts
    Newshound!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 10 May 2019 at 9:23PM
    If you are implying I’m lying,
    No.
    What I am saying is that you are providing partial information which is then being contradicted by further information.
    For example:
    I have had over £11K taken from my Yorkshire Bank savings accounts over the last 48 hours. Currently being investigated by their fraud dept. They suspect these multiple transactions in sums of £400 to £500 were taken via internet banking
    Only 1 payment of £700 was transferred from my savings account into my isa. The transactions with the same long code are all from the isa. .
    This causes considerable confusion.
    In addition in all the decades that I have held a bank account I have never come across a transaction which was not identified by the type of transaction that it was which really puzzles me.
    This link may assist you in understanding what I am getting at here
    https://help.cybonline.co.uk/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=33376&CONFIGURATION=1332&PARTITION_ID=1&USERTYPE=1&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTRY=us
  • Terry_TowellingTerry_Towelling Forumite
    2.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry I don’t understand your comment. If you are implying I’m lying, then I can categorically state this is a real nightmare. All I’m trying to do is get some advice on here for some clarity to this situation as I very limited information available to me, right now. I just wouldn’t want this happening to anyone it’s very stressful and worrying

You may be referring to my comment here.

Nobody would want their cash taking and it is obviously very stressful for you. No one on here can really offer you any clarity because you haven't made things that clear and all that has been revealed to us doesn't fit in with our 'vision' of the way online/App banking works.

You are certain your bank details and debit card details are all secure but money has still been removed and you haven't let us see any of these strange reference numbers that appear for us to try and dissect. You say YB fraud dept is bemused by it all, so we are going to have very little chance of giving out targeted suggestions to help you.

Either someone has accessed your account and removed your cash directly from a savings account (and an ISA that should not allow such debits, although, oddly, you say you have been able to do this in the past) OR there has been a bank error by YB. If the latter is the case, I imagine it should be fairly obvious to the YB fraud dept that it is an error rather than a fraud and they should be able to see exactly where the payments were sent.

Could you take a screen shot of your ISA account showing the debits and insert the picture into a post? - obviously remove any personal information.
  • TeleGuyTeleGuy Forumite
    5 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Mcchan said:
    Hi Just thought I would make it aware for everyone here that I have had over £11K taken from my Yorkshire Bank savings accounts over the last 48 hours. Currently being investigated by their fraud dept. They suspect these multiple transactions in sums of £400 to £500 were taken via internet banking, not my mobile banking app. Maybe this is a one off scam, but thought I would share this in case anyone else has been affected. I’m very careful with my online security so no idea how the security could have been breached. Very worrying!
    Hi Mcchan...
    In June 2019, someone accessed my Yorkshire Bank Account and moved £1500 from my savings account to my current account and then attempted to withdraw it just before midnight. The bank rang me the next morning to tell me that their security system had stopped this transaction and did I know anything about it. No I didn't. They put a lock on the account while they investigated and would get back in touch. They never got back in touch so after about 10 days I rang them and they took the lock off. Wonderful. I changed the passwords etc. Then, yesterday, yet again, someone has 'popped into' my Yorkshire Bank Account again and moved £3000 from my savings account to my Current Account and attempted to withdraw £2500 which thankfully appears to have failed. I think enough is enough now and it's time to go somewhere 'safer'. I am understandably fuming. I only ever bank using their app on one iPad at the same place (my house) and I am the only person who does the banking. No-one else knows how to.