Mortgage offer not on credit file

Options
I have a mortgage offer from First Direct which was arranged in January. Not yet bought a house.

I just did a search on the following agencies:

Clearscore/Equifax
MSE/Experian
Noddle/callcredit

None of them show anything about a search from the mortgage company. Why would that be?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you've not yet bought a house, then it wouldn't have been a mortgage offer, but an AIP.

That may not have involved a hard search, as they don't mean much.
  • zacepi
    zacepi Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, ZX81.

I had an AIP prior to this.
    This is 100% a mortgage offer. The document was sent via secure password protected PDF and includes:

Your Mortgage Offer
    Date of issue:
    DATE
    This mortgage will be secured by a first legal charge over the property below:
    ADDRESS OF HOUSE I AM BUYING

and also mentions Offer Validity - so it's definitely an offer. Or perhaps definately (one for the Line of Duty viewers)
  • PrettyKittyKat
    PrettyKittyKat Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    Options
    Is there a search under a different name maybe from what you are expecting?

I wouldn't worry too much though, you've got the offer so all is good.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    The offer would not be shown on your credit files. Why should it be? There is no mortgage account open and no balance outstanding.
    As for the lack of a search, what are you complaining about? Why do you want the search to show?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Because it’s not a mortgage yet

Also when did your credit files last update?
  • zacepi
    Options
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    The offer would not be shown on your credit files. Why should it be? There is no mortgage account open and no balance outstanding.
    As for the lack of a search, what are you complaining about? Why do you want the search to show?

OK I'm not complaining, just confused.
    My query is about there being no search on my search history.

There are lots of searches bang up to date for things like insurance. Surely a mortgage company would do a hard search before approving a mortgage offer?

Perhaps someone else in the same boat (ie. full offer but not yet completed) can check their credit file too just to see?
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 29 April 2019 at 1:28PM
    Options
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    !!! wrote: »
    Because it’s not a mortgage yet

Also when did your credit files last update?

I'm truly puzzled by both of your responses - the OP has stated a perfectly valid concern?

Ben8282 - it's patronising to suggest the OP is querying why he doesn't have a mortgage account/balance present on his credit file when he's explicitly asked why there is no search. Why would the OP not be worried that a bank that has agreed to lend him hundreds of thousands of pounds seemingly without checking his financial circumstances?

!!! - Unless you mean to suggest that a mortgage lender would issue a legally binding mortgage offer (not an AIP) on an individual without performing a credit check I'm really not sure what you mean by suggesting it's because 'it's not a mortgage yet'? Your comment about credit files not being updated is unlikely to be the case, the OP states the offer was provided in January.

@OP As PrettyKittyKat said, I would see whether the check has been done under a different name around the date you got your mortgage offer.
    Know what you don't
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    zacepi wrote: »
    I have a mortgage offer from First Direct which was arranged in January. Not yet bought a house.

zacepi wrote: »
    Your Mortgage Offer
    Date of issue:
    DATE
    This mortgage will be secured by a first legal charge over the property below:
    ADDRESS OF HOUSE I AM BUYING

and also mentions Offer Validity

So have you actually bought somewhere or not?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • zacepi
    Options
    Candyapple wrote: »
    So have you actually bought somewhere or not?

I need a sense check, as I thought what I have typed so far is very clear. But apparently not.

So the house buying process in England:
    Look for houses
    Get Mortgage AIP
    Find house
    Offer on house
    Offer acceptance
    Engage solicitor who does searches and enquiries
    Get Survey
    Talk to Mortgage company and get full Mortgage Offer
    Possible further negotiation around Survey and enquiries
    ==
    Arrange Exchange and Completion dates
    Exchange
    ++
    Complete

I am at the point marked by ==

In my mind I haven't bought anywhere yet. I would say I have bought at the point marked ++, but your opinion may vary.

But I do have a mortgage offer.

What are people finding difficult to comprehend? - please help me clarify my query more clearly as certain replies are patronising and I have no idea what I said that isn't clear.
  • A4445
    A4445 Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Options
    It can’t be an offer yet as you don’t have a property. The mortgage company needs to value the property first. You won’t know your LTV so you can’t have a product in place. The lender could find issues with a property and won’t offer you a mortgage.

I didn’t even have an AIP it went straight to application. This was approved AFTER the house was valued.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure