Sky Go & TV Licence.

Korkyb
Korkyb Posts: 623
First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
Forumite
edited 20 April 2019 at 5:36PM in TV MoneySaving
Hi all.

My daughter is moving into her own place and as she doesn't / wont watch live TV or use iPlayer (just uses Netflix and Amazon) so she plans to notify TV Licensing that she doesn't need a licence.

My question is...

If I was to chuck Sky Go onto her xbox (logged into my Sky account) and she does not watch any live TV on it or BBC channels (only the Sky catch up stuff) would she then need a TV licence?

I understand completely that Sky wouldn't be happy & I'd be outwith their T&C's but I can handle living with that guilt.

What I wouldn't want is to put my offspring in the dock clapped in irons front of a black hanky topped judge swiftly followed by a BBC funded firing squad (I believe this is the current punishment for TV licence dodgers).

Thanks for any advice !!
Was it really "everybody" that was Kung Fu fighting ???

Comments

• prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,098
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    An online TV service is any streaming or smart TV service, website or app that lets you watch live TV over the internet. Popular services include BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, Channel 4 Watch Live, All 4, Sky Go, Virgin Media, Now TV, BT TV, Apple TV, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, YouTube and Roku.

Do I need a TV Licence if I only ever watch on demand or catch up TV online?

You don’t need a licence if you only ever watch on demand or catch up programmes on services other than BBC iPlayer (and you also never watch live TV programmes on any channel, including on iPlayer).

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/watching-online-and-on-mobile-devices-TOP14#
  • Korkyb
    Forumite
    Yep I had checked out the TV licencing website but am still confused..

An online TV service is any streaming or smart TV service, website or app that lets you watch live TV over the internet. Popular services include BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, Channel 4 Watch Live, All 4, Sky Go, Virgin Media, Now TV, BT TV, Apple TV, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, YouTube and Roku.

-The Sky Go app does allow you to watch Live TV (so ? does need a licence).

However

You don’t need a licence if you only ever watch on demand or catch up programmes on services other than BBC iPlayer (and you also never watch live TV programmes on any channel, including on iPlayer).

- Darling daughter will only be watching catch up (so doesnt need a licence).

Maybe I'm being a muppet but.......

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,814
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Its perfectly clear to me:

If you watch TV as its being transmitted via TV, Sky Go, Internet, Alien Spacecraft or Mind Telepathy, you need a licence.

If you do not watch live TV in any way shape or form, no licence is needed with the exception of the iPlayer. iPlayer on demand = licence required. Everything else - no.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,135
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Korkyb wrote: »
    Maybe I'm being a muppet but.......

Not at all. They appear to be making it deliberately confusing in the text that you quoted.

The responses above are both correct. This is the way I tend to word it:-

A TV Licence is required to:-

- Watch / record TV channel broadcasts received via traditional means (satellite, cable TV or terrestrial).

- Also to watch the internet-streamed equivalent of those live TV channels (concurrently as they are being broadcast).

- And to watch / download BBC TV programs via BBC iPlayer.
  • jumbojuice
    jumbojuice Posts: 420 Forumite
    Just go with the licence to be safe - i think you can even pay it monthly nowadays to keep the cost down and initial outlay down.
  • jumbojuice wrote: »
    Just go with the licence to be safe - i think you can even pay it monthly nowadays to keep the cost down and initial outlay down.
    Why?
    OP, your daughter does not need a tv licence for the uses you have stated.
  • Korkyb
    Forumite
    edited 21 April 2019 at 7:37AM
    She wont be paying over £150 per year for something that she doesn't need or use.

If using Sky go was to be an issue with regards to the TV licence then the App would be deleted and she would stick to Netflix / Amazon.

I've just checked and Sky Go doesn't have/include any BBC Channels at all! (Not even the news channels).

Given its impossible to watch any BBC channels on Sky Go how can watching live streaming Sky content which has nothing to do with the BBC result in requiring a BBC Licence.

Time for a lie down in a dark room methinks :-)
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,135
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    It's worth noting (and advising your Daughter) that being what is termed "Legally Licence-free" is not necessarily hassle-free. It's unacceptable that it is not hassle-free, but it makes sense to be honest about it.

People's personal experiences vary hugely, from those who have virtually no trouble, right the way through to false allegations that can be hard to deal with.

What it comes down to is this:-

- TVL's official communications can be incompetent or misleading. If there is a contradiction between what TVL say, and what the law says, the Law is right (as both a matter of fact, and in terms of TVL's poor record on this). Letters are typically sent every month, and they are designed to increase in harshness of tone.

- TVL's unofficial communications, for example from Call Centre staff or Field Staff, can be misleading and confrontational. That's especially true of TV viewing habits based around technology they are unfamiliar with.

- The law is clear on questioning under caution, but TVL seem to work their way around much of it. It's unclear whether this is them making things up as they go along, or whether they have legal advice. Nevertheless, all the rights are on the side of the householder: the right to decline to be interviewed, the right to silence, the right to legal counsel.

- TVL exhibits a massive gender bias in prosecutions (favouring women by more than 2:1 - it's actually approaching 3:1). It's unclear why this is and the BBC claims that they do not know, even though the bias has increased steadily over the past 10 years. Personally, I find it difficult to see these figures and not imagine an element of bullying by largely large male TVL field staff against female householders, but I could be wrong.
  • prowla
    Forumite
    The first part of the quote from https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/watching-online-and-on-mobile-devices-TOP14# establishes what are devices for receiving TV (@Neil Jones: it doesn't include telepathy, so I think you must still be allowed to use that!).

The second part says that you have to have a licence if you:
    1. Watch programmes live.
    2. Record live programmes to watch later.
    3. Use BBC iPlayer (either for live or catch-up).
    It states:
    1. "You don’t need a licence if you only ever watch on demand or catch up programmes on services other than BBC iPlayer"
    2. "You will need a TV Licence if you watch live TV on a subscription channel. But you don’t need a TV Licence to watch on demand programmes (other than those on BBC iPlayer) on paid-for subscription channels.".
    So, I think it's pretty clear that you do not need a TV licence if really only watch catch-up or on demand on Sky/Netflix/Now/etc.

However, if you even once do watch anything live - the News, a must-see sporting event, flicking channels, whatever, then you must have a licence.
  • prowla
    Forumite
    Korkyb wrote: »
    She wont be paying over £150 per year for something that she doesn't need or use.

If using Sky go was to be an issue with regards to the TV licence then the App would be deleted and she would stick to Netflix / Amazon.

I've just checked and Sky Go doesn't have/include any BBC Channels at all! (Not even the news channels).

Given its impossible to watch any BBC channels on Sky Go how can watching live streaming Sky content which has nothing to do with the BBC result in requiring a BBC Licence.

Time for a lie down in a dark room methinks :-)
    The licence is to watch live TV from any provider, not just BBC.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback