Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

May 2019 Grocery Challenge - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

May 2019 Grocery Challenge

edited 18 April 2019 at 9:09AM in Old Style MoneySaving
182 replies 19.8K views

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hurrah! Just in time for my new month starting!! :j

Five week month this month so expecting to be pretty much using my entire budget:o However, I'll be doing my best to keep the spending as low as possible ;):D
  • elsiepacelsiepac Forumite, Board Guide
    2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    squirrelgirl - do you want to set a budget? :)
    I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style, Greenfingered, Energy & Going Out Deals boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    SPC No 074
    GC: Jan 20 £tbc/£250
    Vegan 27-8-13
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hi elsie :D

I have an annual budget of £3600 so estimate around £300 per month (you've already got that one ;))- thing is I buy most of my stuff in bulk from Suma - £300 is the max I can spend in a month (its usually a lot less) then the remaining cash is put to the side for my bulk purchases every 3 months or so :D
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi elsie :D

I have an annual budget of £3600 so estimate around £300 per month (you've already got that one ;))- thing is I buy most of my stuff in bulk from Suma - £300 is the max I can spend in a month (its usually a lot less) then the remaining cash is put to the side for my bulk purchases every 3 months or so :D

Sorry, I did look afterwards and saw you are on annually!! Ooh lovely, what kind of stuff do you get from Suma? Is there a saving to be made in bulk? My local Co-0p has started stocking quite a few of their tins and packet items on the sort of free from shelf end!
    I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style, Greenfingered, Energy & Going Out Deals boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    SPC No 074
    Vegan 27-8-13
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    It's definitely a saving on buying from a health food shop elsie ;) I buy the most ethical brands I can and in the biggest quantities to reduce packaging- unfortunately it works out extremely expensive whichever way you look at it but thats the choice I have made - I am fortunately in a position where I can make this choice now but certainly wasn't in the past! ;) I buy all of my household and toiletry products from them, all my dried stuff (pulses, grains, flour, coffee, sugar, etc) and all my tins /bottles (sauces, tomatoes, puree etc) ..the only things I buy elsewhere really is fruit and veg and I get that from the local organic market stall :D

They have a minimum spend to get free delivery too (essentially they are a wholesaler so it makes sense ;)) but as I tend to do an order every three months or so I'm always way above that!! :o:rotfl:
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • PipneyJanePipneyJane Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the new thread, Elsiepac. Hello to all the regulars and welcome to the Newbies. May your May be prosperous and low spending.

I’m signing up now, although my month doesn’t start until May 1st. Please put me down for £120.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 47/66 coupons spent. 19 remain.
  • BrassicWomanBrassicWoman Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    £200 again for me please!
    GC August 20 £149.88/£150 Sept 20 £overspent by £40/ £150 Oct £146.25/£150
  • ditty1234ditty1234 Forumite
    1K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Hi £250 for me.
    I might be ready to start doing a wholesale type shop in the beginning of May as would like to build stock for summer through September (the low income monts for hourly teaching), but this has to come out of general food budget.
    Is there a list of good places to buy quality bulk?
    I know i have seen organic wholesalers, but have long forgotten where. I would like things like quality flour and stuff. I also need to restock things like organic henna hair colour and maybe other toiletries.
    LBM Jan 2019 - £25.928/-£23.683 8.6% paid off - On hold, EF 2020 - July £11/1000
    Housing fund 2020-2022 £260/6000 : Citizenship Paid £1849/£2019 : Weight -8/12 kg
    Run 10k in 1h 10m 1h 07m 16.7.2020
  • SmooshSmoosh Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Would love to take part it May! We're currently allowing £300 a month for two adults, a dog and a cat. This includes my lunches for work but not OH's as he gets them for free.

We have a separate bank account that we only use for groceries, so it's relatively easy for us to keep track of it. I would like to lower us to £250 over the coming months so I think this will help keep us on track! My first step is going to be working out how much we spend on the cat food and see if we can get it cheaper online.
    2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Budgets updated to here

My May budget is £200. May is a 4 week month for me. I'd like to keep trying to aim for my £40 a week. I may not have managed it in April, but that's no reason not to keep trying! Of the £40 left, I think £20 will be on toiletries top ups, and a double batch of loo rolls as I've been operating without a spare pack and I like to have spares of EVERYTHING! The other £20 is going to sit there and be there for emergencies by which I mean incidentals :rotfl:
    SPC No 074
    Vegan 27-8-13