PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2019 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Hurrah! Just in time for my new month starting!! :j

Five week month this month so expecting to be pretty much using my entire budget:o However, I'll be doing my best to keep the spending as low as possible ;):D
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,553 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    squirrelgirl - do you want to set a budget? :)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • Hi elsie :D

I have an annual budget of £3600 so estimate around £300 per month (you've already got that one ;))- thing is I buy most of my stuff in bulk from Suma - £300 is the max I can spend in a month (its usually a lot less) then the remaining cash is put to the side for my bulk purchases every 3 months or so :D
  • elsiepac
    Hi elsie :D

I have an annual budget of £3600 so estimate around £300 per month (you've already got that one ;))- thing is I buy most of my stuff in bulk from Suma - £300 is the max I can spend in a month (its usually a lot less) then the remaining cash is put to the side for my bulk purchases every 3 months or so :D

Sorry, I did look afterwards and saw you are on annually!! Ooh lovely, what kind of stuff do you get from Suma? Is there a saving to be made in bulk? My local Co-0p has started stocking quite a few of their tins and packet items on the sort of free from shelf end!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • It's definitely a saving on buying from a health food shop elsie ;) I buy the most ethical brands I can and in the biggest quantities to reduce packaging- unfortunately it works out extremely expensive whichever way you look at it but thats the choice I have made - I am fortunately in a position where I can make this choice now but certainly wasn't in the past! ;) I buy all of my household and toiletry products from them, all my dried stuff (pulses, grains, flour, coffee, sugar, etc) and all my tins /bottles (sauces, tomatoes, puree etc) ..the only things I buy elsewhere really is fruit and veg and I get that from the local organic market stall :D

They have a minimum spend to get free delivery too (essentially they are a wholesaler so it makes sense ;)) but as I tend to do an order every three months or so I'm always way above that!! :o:rotfl:
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks for the new thread, Elsiepac. Hello to all the regulars and welcome to the Newbies. May your May be prosperous and low spending.

I’m signing up now, although my month doesn’t start until May 1st. Please put me down for £120.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    £200 again for me please!
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • ditty1234
    ditty1234 Posts: 2,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Hi £250 for me.
    I might be ready to start doing a wholesale type shop in the beginning of May as would like to build stock for summer through September (the low income monts for hourly teaching), but this has to come out of general food budget.
    Is there a list of good places to buy quality bulk?
    I know i have seen organic wholesalers, but have long forgotten where. I would like things like quality flour and stuff. I also need to restock things like organic henna hair colour and maybe other toiletries.
    LBM Jan 2019 - £25.928/Active debt £14253, 54% sorted
    Housing fund Jan 2024 £2000/6000 36%
    EF Jan 2024 £0/1000 0% Emergency fund is for worn out things like vacuum cleaner, dish washer, and washing machine.
  • Smoosh
    Smoosh Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Would love to take part it May! We're currently allowing £300 a month for two adults, a dog and a cat. This includes my lunches for work but not OH's as he gets them for free.

We have a separate bank account that we only use for groceries, so it's relatively easy for us to keep track of it. I would like to lower us to £250 over the coming months so I think this will help keep us on track! My first step is going to be working out how much we spend on the cat food and see if we can get it cheaper online.
  • elsiepac
    Budgets updated to here

My May budget is £200. May is a 4 week month for me. I'd like to keep trying to aim for my £40 a week. I may not have managed it in April, but that's no reason not to keep trying! Of the £40 left, I think £20 will be on toiletries top ups, and a double batch of loo rolls as I've been operating without a spare pack and I like to have spares of EVERYTHING! The other £20 is going to sit there and be there for emergencies by which I mean incidentals :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport