PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Beware of misleading purple bricks

Options

Comments

• Homersimpson
    Options
    I'm afraid that I have to disagree with the OP, we used Purple Bricks to sell our house and it was very well explained to us how it works and its all very clear on the website.

If you defer the payment for 10 months you have to use their solicitors but to be honest they were really good and their eway portal makes everything really clear and you can see what you have to do.

We found with out local agent (we paid the extra for viewings) he came out on bank holiday monday in August to take the photos and measure up and one of the viewers asked to come on a sunday which he was only to happy to do, they then wanted to come back later that day with other family members and he agains obliged.

I doubt that a high street agent would come out on a sunday let along twice! When we had two high street agents round to value and provide costs to sell one of them didn't even bother to send us a quote, they are a long well establised firm but I don't think they will keep going if they carry on like that.

Overall the service from PB has been excellent and I would highly recommend them, the only downside is that you have to pay the fee whether you sell or not but for us we needed to sell as we needed an extra bedroom due to our growing family and therefore were motivated to sell.

If vendors are just dreaming or time wasting then high street agents are better as they don't have to pay, we offered on one and the vendor accepted on a saturday and then on the monday decided to take the house off the market. Clearly they didn't have any real intention or commitment to sell.

The high street agents all have a very negative view of PB and even wrote to us along the lines of we see you house hasn't sold with PB and kept ringing as they have people desperate to buy our house, as I pointed out to them these people who are desperate to buy our house must not be able to look on right move or zoopla!

Overall i'm sure PB have some bad people, its inevitable with any large organisation but my experience is that the service we got was far better than a high street agent, the systems they have work better and you can do things when it suits you like amending the description on a sunday afternoon.

The fact we saved £2,400 in commission also helps me to think their service is good :-)
    I have a lot of problems with my neighbours, they hammer and bang on the walls sometimes until 2 or 3 in the morning - some nights I can hardly hear myself drilling ;)
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Fshorty30 wrote: »
    thanks for all if your responses- my dad ended up having to pay both estate agents, which didnt help his mental state-
    Please be aware of purple bricks small print in future guys- would never ever recommend them abd would avoid at All Costs!!!!!

Except it's not small print, it's the largest print on their website,

https://www.purplebricks.co.uk/sell-my-house
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • BrOz
    BrOz Posts: 96 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm selling with PB at the moment, my agent informed me of all the fees but also when I filled the application online the prices were listed and I selected the option for paying... I'm not sure how you missed that bit? It was quite clear I thought.

Also, after I completed the online form the EA visited me to check my ID and check that I actually owned the property I was selling etc.

I paid upfront but I was aware you could defer the payments too as I was informed and it clearly stated on the website.
  • Jumblebumble
    Jumblebumble Posts: 1,815 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    BrOz wrote: »
    I'm selling with PB at the moment, my agent informed me of all the fees but also when I filled the application online the prices were listed and I selected the option for paying... I'm not sure how you missed that bit? It was quite clear I thought.

Also, after I completed the online form the EA visited me to check my ID and check that I actually owned the property I was selling etc.

I paid upfront but I was aware you could defer the payments too as I was informed and it clearly stated on the website.

Th Op is being very unfair to purple bricks
    The sales person who apparantly told him that the fees were no sale no fee might have been the man with the broom walking past the phone
    My advice is always get people who tell you things on the phone to email
    If they won't you can take an informed guess why not.
    I wonder why the OP is making his father pay for his error

The T and C are crystal clear
    PAYMENT TERMS – EXTREMELY IMPORTANT

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY:
    If you choose to Pay Later you shall make payment in full of the Product Service Fee when any of the following occurs, whichever happens first:

When the property sells and the legal process is complete or
    If you withdraw your instructions for us to market the property or
    If you choose not to use the Conveyancing Services or
    Ten months from the date your property listing is published.
  • Fshorty30
    Options
    I stand by my thread- The sales advisor NEVER mentioned the fee-and would avoid Purple Bricks at all costs and have let anyone contemplating going with them- RUN A MILE- Go to a reputable high street agent instead- !!!!!!
  • Fshorty30 wrote: »
    I stand by my thread- The sales advisor NEVER mentioned the fee-and would avoid Purple Bricks at all costs and have let anyone contemplating going with them- RUN A MILE- Go to a reputable high street agent instead- !!!!!!
    Thanks for your warning. But as has been explained more than once in this thread, their terms are payment up front, though you can defer for ten months.
  • mattyprice4004
    Options
    No thanks, I'll go with them when the time comes as 2 close friends have used them and they've been fine. :)
  • Mickygg
    Mickygg Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Very few things in life don’t cost any money, especially when work is involved. I would never just wait for someone to say whether or not there are fees, it’s the main thing that should be discussed or checked before agreeing!

IMO the OP should have checked.

Having said that many people on here have posted particularly bad experiences with PB. I for one will always use local agents. My local agent did viewings at short notice, knew my property well and did viewings all times of day including Sunday’s.
  • babyblade41
    babyblade41 Posts: 3,935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't undertake viewing a house who used PB no matter how nice the house was
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 24 January 2020 at 9:10AM
    Options
    I wouldn't undertake viewing a house who used PB no matter how nice the house was
    Really? Personally, I'd go to a viewing led by anyone, if it was the means by which I could secure a property I wanted.

Similarly I'd buy from anyone, as evidenced by the fact that one of our vendors was 'inside' for something unpleasant when we purchased our current property. All I did was Google to ensure the address wasn't linked to their crimes in media reporting.

It's business and the property's neutral. Someone's going to buy it, so it might as well be me.

As for the OP, they couldn't even write a thread title that wasn't misleading.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure