Falsely Accused of Theft

Options

Comments

• bunnie1234
    bunnie1234 Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    I didn't say you hunted him down, I asked if he was hunting down pie-holders. My point was that you sought the reduction and had you not done so, you wouldn't be in this position.

Hilarious? Not really. Absurd? Definitely. You've been treated poorly and the store management owe you an apology. That's it, end of story. You said yourself you're not interested in compensation, publicity or even shopping there again. They're clearly not a business you want to patronise again so would an apology mean anything anyway?

Its true that if we had not sought a final reduction this would not have happened. But having done so and paid for the items, we should not have been publicly accused of theft when it wasn't theft at all.

Trauma is a word thats over used but in this case it was traumatic being publicly shamed like this. Nothing could take that away really, but an apology forced on these two unpleasant individuals, would help a bit. And to have the ban lifted, just to show really that there should never have been a ban. But of course this store will never see another penny of my money.
  • bunnie1234
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    Make up your mind

First you were the only two banned.

Then two others ere also banned and no one else was humiliated.

But then

I know that the other two people who were banned took one item each of fruit after it was marked down because I was there talking to them when a staff member came along and marked the fruit down. I know they were accused of having it in their trolleys before it was marked down and I know this because they told me after we left the store.

Were they not humiliated by being spoken to and banned?

Make up my mind????????????

I stated in my original post that my friend and I were humiliated and banned as I summarised the situation. When asked for further details I stated that two other friends/acquaintances suffered a similar experience just before we did. I stated that we were all polite shoppers who spend a lot of money each week.

And for the record I complained to Head Office on behalf of all FOUR of us who were ALL equally humiliated in front of other customers. We would each like an apology and were all equally slandered and humiliated.

Should I have repeated that all four of us were humiliated in each and every post?!
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,083 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    bunnie1234 wrote: »
    Trauma is a word thats over used but in this case it was traumatic being publicly shamed like this. Nothing could take that away really, but an apology forced on these two unpleasant individuals, would help a bit. And to have the ban lifted, just to show really that there should never have been a ban. But of course this store will never see another penny of my money.
    An enforced apology is utterly meaningless. The ban being lifted is also meaningless if you're not shopping there again. It's become clear that what you want is retribution. You can achieve that by making sure as many local people as possible know of how you were treated and exactly how the two unpleasant individuals have behaved. Shop elsewhere and encourage everyone you know to do the same.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    What I want to know is how much were they reduced to? £3.14 perhaps?

It's OK - at least one other person got it. ;)
  • bunnie1234
    Options
    An enforced apology is utterly meaningless. The ban being lifted is also meaningless if you're not shopping there again. It's become clear that what you want is retribution. You can achieve that by making sure as many local people as possible know of how you were treated and exactly how the two unpleasant individuals have behaved. Shop elsewhere and encourage everyone you know to do the same.

I would like retribution but if I tell as many local people as possible, the scenario sounds so unbelievable, people will probably assume we had to have done something wrong. A newspaper article could shame the store but it would also make a lot of people think similarly. And most people seem to think there is no smoke without fire. This is what makes it so difficult for us and easy for the store to do such things.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think it's your brass neck I find unbelievable. You were willing to pay the reduced price for the pies, they were in your basket, you then presented them to a staff member and asked for them to be reduced further?
    If you go to the newspapers everyone will then see how brazen you are. I think you should just shop else where and let it go.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,083 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I would like retribution but if I tell as many local people as possible, the scenario sounds so unbelievable, people will probably assume we had to have done something wrong. A newspaper article could shame the store but it would also make a lot of people think similarly. And most people seem to think there is no smoke without fire. This is what makes it so difficult for us and easy for the store to do such things.
    You're sounding like many of our politicians at the moment when it comes to Brexit. Lots of talk about what you don't want but no real substance to what you DO want.

Let it go. You're right, you already come out of this pretty poorly, as does the store management. You'll probably make it worse pursuing it beyond making an official complaint and leaving it there. Vote with your feet and your wallet. Retail is a difficult environment nowadays, so taking what you claim is a substantial amount of custom elsewhere will hurt them. There's your retribution.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    Thanks for your comment. The accusations were slanderous as they were in front of a large number of people. I may take up your suggestion. Thanks agin.

I wouldn't if I were you. To fund a defamation action requires very deep pockets. Maybe a free solicitor will confirm this.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    Its true that if we had not sought a final reduction this would not have happened. But having done so and paid for the items, we should not have been publicly accused of theft when it wasn't theft at all.

It is overused...
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    It's OK - at least one other person got it. ;)

Make that at least two people. (Although only after reading your post and thinking about it).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure