We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Speeding Fine Traffic Offence

Options

Comments

• advantix
    advantix Posts: 204 Forumite
    Options
    david3331 wrote: »
    Traffic Offence Was On The 12/10/07 Nip Send it To Me On 14/11/07 Can I Just Send It Back Saying Out Of Date

Afraid not AFAIK. You say you were driving a rental car in your opening post. The 14 day rule only applies to getting it to the registered keeper of the vehicle (the hire car company). They are allowed to take longer to get it to the actuall driver of the hire car.

As has been said before, if you know you were speeding, pay the fine, take the points and learn from it. At 37mph in a 30mph zone i doubt you will be offered the speed awareness course (think that is only offereed to people doing 34, 35 or 36 mph in a 30 zone)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    points will stay on your licence for 4 years [just had hubbys removed] and at present cost £22 to remove .take the points /fine just be more carefull when driving [edited version to the "talk" hubby got !]
  • louidog
    louidog Posts: 517 Forumite
    Options
    david3331 wrote: »
    Traffic Offence Was On The 12/10/07 Nip Send it To Me On 14/11/07 Can I Just Send It Back Saying Out Of Date

Not if you were driving a hired car!
    The usual rule is that you have to receive the NIP within 14 days but as it was a hired car the driver has to be chased via the hire company. The details are then sent back to original sender and they then send the NIP to the driver, so the time limit does not come into it.

I know as the same happened to me in a courtesy car! I was doing 35 in a 30 zone and was offered a Speed Awareness course. I didn't get points but you do get a mark against your name at the DVLC instead. I still had to pay the £60 fine. This means that should you get caught speeding again you will not be offerend the Speed Awareness course....just the fine and points!
    My second favorite household chore is ironing. My first being, hitting my head on the top bunk bed until I faint.
    -Erma Bombeck-
    ~ Member of the MSE Celebdaq Minileague ~
  • maryadavis
    Options
    I once received a fine from the police for driving faster than the speed limit but I got that resolved by proving that I was trying to pass by the guy in front of me. He didn't slow down so I had to increase the speed. I guess I was lucky there were traffic cameras in the area.
  • mountainchrisriver
    Options
    maryadavis... reported... no links or advertising allowed in signature... :rolleyes:
    :D
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    maryadavis wrote: »
    I once received a fine from the police for driving faster than the speed limit but I got that resolved by proving that I was trying to pass by the guy in front of me. He didn't slow down so I had to increase the speed.

Why should he slow down so that you could overtake him? If you needed to break the speed limit to overtake him then you shouldn't have been overtaking!
  • nickmack
    nickmack Posts: 4,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Why should he slow down so that you could overtake him? If you needed to break the speed limit to overtake him then you shouldn't have been overtaking!

The Highway Code does actually tell you do this:

"Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you."

from http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070314
  • mountainchrisriver
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »

Its a spammer.... :wall:
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    I'll move this over to the Motoring Board, check out part 6 of the Motoring Websites thread for links you may find useful :)

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
  • chuckles1066
    chuckles1066 Posts: 2,670 Forumite
    Options
    maryadavis... reported... no links or advertising allowed in signature... :rolleyes:

Jeez, do you have a nice warm glow inside of you now?
    You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky

Any advice that you receive from me is worth exactly what you paid for it. Not a penny more or a penny less.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport