Persimmon and Fibrenest

Options
Hi team

I'm seeking the advice our you seasoned veterans. I've moved into a new build Persimmon home and have had their Fibrenest ISP (FTTP) for free. Our free contract was due to run out in June so I was speaking to BT. OR have called me today saying they can't provide service as Persimmon have the exclusive for an indeterminate period of time. I've got nothing in writing from Persimmons or Fibrenest about this. As an aside as an optional extra Persimmon were happy to install telephone sockets and advertise Sky Broadband in their extras brochure

Where do I go from here? Fibrenest are phenomenally expensive

Regards

Comments

• greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Contact Persimmon ???
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 April 2019 at 10:29AM
    Options
    I'd never heard of them previously but checking their prices at https://www.fibrenest.com/broadband they look decent enough for FTTP and go all the way down to 20Mbps for £25 a month with 10Mbps for £13 'coming soon'. (admittedly possibly new customer prices, I can't see any info regarding end of minimum term price)

Edit: I missed the fact that voice calls are not included in the price, if taken with BB then they add another £5 to the costs.
  • Croft12
    Croft12 Posts: 252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi team

I'm seeking the advice our you seasoned veterans. I've moved into a new build Persimmon home and have had their Fibrenest ISP (FTTP) for free. Our free contract was due to run out in June so I was speaking to BT. OR have called me today saying they can't provide service as Persimmon have the exclusive for an indeterminate period of time. I've got nothing in writing from Persimmons or Fibrenest about this. As an aside as an optional extra Persimmon were happy to install telephone sockets and advertise Sky Broadband in their extras brochure

Where do I go from here? Fibrenest are phenomenally expensive

Regards

Hmm. Afaik sky don't offer general ftttp but perhaps if they have a deal with the builder they will. If so have you contacted them?

Either way I'd get a clear exclusivity period date from the builder.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A very interesting thread about this ISP at thinkbroadband https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/which_isp/4595176-fibrenest.html

I love this quote
    All of the Fibrenest company directors on companies house are based at "Persimmon House" - the same place as Persimmon.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That's how these cartels work. The telcom suppliers pays the developer for an exclusive right to supply, and they make it back by charging an inflated price after the initial freebie period.
    There's no obligation for them to supply a BT service into the development.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    There's no obligation for them to supply a BT service into the development.

To buy on some developments with community heating you even have to agree not to fit alternate types of heaters. I wouldn't touch that with a barge poll.
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    Options
    so I was speaking to BT. OR have called me today saying they can't provide service as Persimmon have the exclusive for an indeterminate period of time.
    If this is true you and your conveyancing solicitor did not bring this to your attention this might be grounds for action against that solicitor. Even their 20 Mb service seems expensive considering that it does not appear to include voice.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Chino wrote: »
    If this is true you and your conveyancing solicitor did not bring this to your attention this might be grounds for action against that solicitor. Even their 20 Mb service seems expensive considering that it does not appear to include voice.

I missed the fact that voice calls are not included in the price, if taken with BB then they add another £5 to the costs. Being FTTP I presume you get the advertised speeds at all times? I'm guessing the latency would be ridiculously low too which would benefit gamers in particular?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    FTTP pole or house is simply not cheap yet.BT are circa £60 plus .
  • Croft12
    Croft12 Posts: 252 Forumite
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    FTTP pole or house is simply not cheap yet.BT are circa £60 plus .

Eh? bt fttp doesn't cost that.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure