Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
edited 26 March 2019 at 5:39PM in Deaths, Funerals & Probate
Sorry nothing to see here.

Replies

• paddy's_mumpaddy's_mum Forumite
    4K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I dont understand the question. Did you pay for the house or did she? Is there a mortgage and if so, in whose name? Whose name or names are on the Title Deeds?

If it was solely in her name, you may have been cheated. Is there a carer or sibling in the picture who might have used undue pressure?

Who or what (ie an equity release firm) bought the house?
  • Keep_pedallingKeep_pedalling Forumite
    8.1K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    You never had the right to purchase your mother’s property under RTB only the tennant can do that, so your DoT is not valid.
  • Keep_pedallingKeep_pedalling Forumite
    8.1K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Who is the new owner?
  • getmore4lessgetmore4less Forumite
    39.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JJWSJS8700 wrote: »
    Please can someone advise:

I purchased my Mothers’ ex local authority property for her and we signed a Declaration of Trust ~ stating she could live there rent free forever.

My parent died last week and after checking Land Registry, the property has already been sold, last year.

Has anyone any experience please or any advice you could give me please.

Looks like you did not buy the house if someone else has sold it.

You may have paid for it but that is not the same.

More details needed of what was done and what steps you took to protect any money you handed over.
  • FlugelhornFlugelhorn Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    you may have paid for it but it will have been in mother's name - she had the right to sell it, maybe equity release ?

Need to find out now who owns it and follow the money
  • MarconMarcon Forumite
    2.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭

I purchased my Mothers’ ex local authority property for her and we signed a Declaration of Trust ~ stating she could live there rent free forever. You couldn't 'purchase it for her' - only give her the money to buy it for herself

My parent died last week and after checking Land Registry, the property has already been sold, last year. By whom and to whom?

It's impossible to advise without more information. Did you lend your mother the money to purchase the property and what did the Declaration of Trust actually say? Who drew it up - a suitably qualified solicitor, or an amateur?

Did your leave a will and if so, what if anything was said about the property?
  • HampshireHHampshireH Forumite
    2.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭

I purchased my Mothers’ ex local authority property for her and we signed a Declaration of Trust ~ stating she could live there rent free forever.

My parent died last week and after checking Land Registry, the property has already been sold, last year.

Are you the sole beneficiary or executor? Was your mother paying rent to a landlord in her final year? You really need to look at more than Land Registry. If you have access/ & authority then go through her paperwork and try and find anything associated to the sale looking for some answers.

Bank statements should be a good starting point, especially if sold as she *should* have received a balance from the sale.
  • BrynsamBrynsam Forumite
    3.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    we signed a Declaration of Trust ~ stating she could live there rent free forever.

Doesn't sound as if you had a charge over the property, which is what any normal 'lender' would do.

What rights did the Declaration of Trust give you? What documentary evidence do you have that you 'lent' her the money on the understanding that you would inherit the house?

I'm assuming that this was intended to be a loan rather than a gift?
  • AnotherJoeAnotherJoe Forumite
    18K posts
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You've left out far too many details.

For a start, when you say it was ex local authority, do you mean it already was (in which case that's pretty much irrelevant), or do you mean it became that when she (not you) bought it from the council? In the latter case, you couldn't have bought it, as you didn't have the right to.

Do you mean in that latter case you lent her the money with an agreement saying you could have the house when she died? And no other safeguard such as a charge on the house?

And then as others have asked, who bought it? There are any number of possibilities from fraud to your mother stitching you up. Do you have access to her bank accounts to see where the money went?

So, much more detail please in particular being precise, eg dont say "i bought my mothers house" if she bought it in her name.
  • edited 26 March 2019 at 5:46PM
    JJWSJS8700JJWSJS8700 Forumite
    119 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 26 March 2019 at 5:46PM
    Thank you.