Meter end of life - Eon - SMET2?

Options

Comments

• Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bark01 wrote: »
    Smart meters are designed to last 15 years. How long they will last is another question, but recertification is controlled by Beis.

Beis sample check each model when it hits 3, 6, 9 etc years old for safety/accuracy. When they find the number of errors on a particular model exceeds what ever their benchmark is then Beis will set an end if life date for that model in age, I.e. 12 years from install.

Suppliers are allowed to have 5% of their portfolio outside of the revert date.

Thanks for the information Bark01.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bark01 wrote: »
    Smart meters are designed to last 15 years. How long they will last is another question, but recertification is controlled by Beis.

Beis sample check each model when it hits 3, 6, 9 etc years old for safety/accuracy. When they find the number of errors on a particular model exceeds what ever their benchmark is then Beis will set an end if life date for that model in age, I.e. 12 years from install.

Suppliers are allowed to have 5% of their portfolio outside of the revert date.

Intresting. I am out of the domestic area these days so only know what I find out! Can only vouch for it's sort of predecessor AMR for the business area where things were certainly certified for 10 years!

Looking at mop for my smart meter I see notrecertification date. Do not know why or if they are using something outside that for it (I'll assume it's just bad systems untill I know otherwise!).

I have seen meter cert periods change before so assume you are meaning something like that. Not sure how it occurs though. Should be in MDD for an easy life but I am pretty sure it is not!
  • jcontest
    jcontest Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Not always true Malc; my gas meter was exchanged in the mid 90s -still here @ 24 years old. I suspect that meter operators are holding off for smart installs.

I think it's more complicated than a fixed term.
    My gas meter actually is attached to a faulty regulator (it was recalled as a "Fire/Explosion" hazard) but my DNO/Energy Suppliers say that if I am not smelling gas then don't worry about the recall! (My Local DNO is SP Energy Networks - Merseyside and North Wales).

Anyhow, What I have found is that if you switch suppliers a lot then you tend to get missed quite a bit on the replacements. I was offered one once with British Gas, phoned up to say I had just moved away from them to Sansburys Energy and they said they wouldn't be doing the meter change for that reason. Sansburys Energy is basically just a re-brand of British Gas (In fact, if I logged into the old BG Account in the past it would show my SB readings and vice versa!). I have since switched three more times and no one is eager to change my equipment, nor am I eager for a SMETS1 meter.

As to requesting SMETS2 only installs (As the OP would really like to do). I have found talking to the installers that most of them don't actually know if it's SMETS1 or 2, They are just there to install. Sooooo Unless your willing to be there on the day to look at it and google the product codes, I would not be confident in what they tell you. From what I read it's mostly the 2's getting installed now, but I am sure some suppliers will still have 1's in the warehouses that haven't gotten used yet.
  • kissaragi
    kissaragi Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Hello gorners and I've just posted about similar issues on a separate thread at the following link.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=75605909&highlight=eon#post75605909

We're looking to fit SMETS2 smart meters wherever possible. There are exceptions as I explained.

With your meter coming to the end of its guaranteed life, provided the property is suitable, we'll offer to fit smart meters. We would like this to be SMETS2. If not, we'll offer to fit SMETS1 and then do a remote upgrade later this year so it can be managed in the same way as SMETS2. This includes staying smart after a change of supplier.

Smart meters are optional and you can reject them. If you do go for a smart meter and we can fit SMETS2, they'll either be a Landis & Gyr or EDMI.

Hope this explains gorners. Let me know if you need any more details as happy to help.

Malc

Hi, I want to switch to one of your fixed tariffs that requires a smart meter but I don’t want a SMETS1 system fitted now SMETS2 is up and running. Do you have any idea how long it will be before you can guarantee it’ll be a SMETS2 meter that’s fitted? Would it be possible to switch to a fixed tariff now and wait until we know it will be a SMETS2 meter that’s fitted?

Thank you
  • Kid_Icarus
    Options
    Electricity meters are tested and certified by meter examiners appointed by the relatively unknown govt Office for Product Safety and Standards, OR by authorised meter examiners employed by manufacturers.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/electricity-meter-certification

There is a list of meter certifications and their certification lifetime available on this UK Gov website - some meters are indeed certified for 30 or even 40 years, which is why there are still many dial meters still in service across the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/schedule-4-uk-nationally-approved-electricity-meters
  • SpanishBlue
    Options
    kissaragi wrote: »
    Hi, I want to switch to one of your fixed tariffs that requires a smart meter but I don’t want a SMETS1 system fitted now SMETS2 is up and running. Do you have any idea how long it will be before you can guarantee it’ll be a SMETS2 meter that’s fitted? Would it be possible to switch to a fixed tariff now and wait until we know it will be a SMETS2 meter that’s fitted?

Thank you

I was called by Eon last Friday telling me they wanted to "upgrade" my meters to smart meters.

I said I would be happy to do so when they could guarantee me they would be fitting SMETS2 meters.

I was told there is an 85% chance I'd get a SMETS2 meter, so I declined.
  • kissaragi
    kissaragi Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    I was called by Eon last Friday telling me they wanted to "upgrade" my meters to smart meters.

I said I would be happy to do so when they could guarantee me they would be fitting SMETS2 meters.

I was just told it could be either SMETS1 or SMETS2 so that 85% figure is useful, thank you. I’m hoping that in a couple of months they will have used up all the old stock. It’s a £500 a year price difference between the tariffs currently so I don’t want to wait long!

Thanks.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 31 March 2019 at 9:23AM
    Options
    I was just told it could be either SMETS1 or SMETS2 so that 85% figure is useful, thank you. I’m hoping that in a couple of months they will have used up all the old stock. It’s a £500 a year price difference between the tariffs currently so I don’t want to wait long!

Thanks.

Personally I 'd save £500 just it case the tariff gets withdrawn and not bother about what sort of meter you've got or will get.

It's likely that a recent SMETS1 meter will get upgraded anyway so any difference in performance and functionality will be academic. Worry about what might happen in the future when it comes and save the money now.

My smart meter stopped being smart two years and three suppliers ago but my leccy hasn't stopped, my bills are still accurate because I send in monthly readings and I've saved the best part of £600 in that time.

Whether the meters gets upgraded or changed isn't my problem- it's what I'm paying that's important rather than just standing on a trivial principle.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Options

Thank you

Thanks.

Hello kissaragi and thanks for your interest in our Fixed Tariffs.

I don't have an exact timeframe yet. Wherever possible, we'll fit SMETS2 smart meters. We're currently averaging over 8000 smart meter installations a week of which about 85% are SMETS2.

There are certain situations where it's not possible to fit SMETS2 right now. For example, we've signal difficulties in some areas north of Manchester. There are also specific metering conditions we're still working on. In these cases, until we've sorted the issues, we'll continue with SMETS1.

Later this year, we'll start to upgrade SMETS1 meters so they're managed in the same way as SMETS2. This includes staying smart after a change of supplier.

We won't be able to guarantee which type of meter is fitted when appointments are made as it depends on the circumstances technicians find when they're on site. Wherever possible, it'll be SMETS2. If not and SMETS1 are needed, as above, we'll do an upgrade later this year. This is done remotely so there's no need for a return visit.

Hope this gives you a bit of an idea kissaragi. Let me know if you need any more information as happy to help.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Options

Hello SpanishBlue and hope my reply to [FONT=&quot]kissaragi above is of interest.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Malc
    [/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure