Meter end of life - Eon - SMET2?

Options

Comments

• gorners
    gorners Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Hello gorners and I've just posted about similar issues on a separate thread at the following link.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=75605909&highlight=eon#post75605909

We're looking to fit SMETS2 smart meters wherever possible. There are exceptions as I explained.

With your meter coming to the end of its guaranteed life, provided the property is suitable, we'll offer to fit smart meters. We would like this to be SMETS2. If not, we'll offer to fit SMETS1 and then do a remote upgrade later this year so it can be managed in the same way as SMETS2. This includes staying smart after a change of supplier.

Smart meters are optional and you can reject them. If you do go for a smart meter and we can fit SMETS2, they'll either be a Landis & Gyr or EDMI.

Hope this explains gorners. Let me know if you need any more details as happy to help.

Malc

Really appreciate the reply, it has set my mind at ease somewhat.
  • gorners
    gorners Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks also to everyone else that’s replied, it has helped me make a decision.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JohnB47 wrote: »
    So how long should a gas or electricity meter actually last, provided it doesn't go faulty?

Are there any facts out there about when a meter 'should' be changed?
    Meters end of life: how long is end of life in years?
    Uxb1 wrote: »
    I have a dial meter.
    My family has lived here for a very long time indeed
    I absolutely know this electric meter has been here since November 1990 when it was exchanged for the old one.
    (I think this was done when the local electric supply was totally rejigged and the old overhead lines were replaced with "ABC" lines and all the houses got new fuse cutouts as well)

Hello all and just to add to matelodave's excellent advice - thanks matelodave - from an E.ON point of view.

Generally, electricity meters are designed to last between 10 and 30 years and gas meters last between 5 and 15 years. When the meter reaches the end of its guaranteed lifespan, the Meter Operator who looks after it will contact the customer to book an appointment for a meter exchange.

As I posted above, if the property is suitable, a smart meter will be offered (SMETS2 wherever possible). There'll be a phone number on the letter from the Meter Operator that customers can call to book an appointment and confirm if they want smart meters.

This our overall take on the issue. Not sure about the approach taken by other suppliers.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,511 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Generally, electricity meters are designed to last between 10 and 30 years and gas meters last between 5 and 15 years. When the meter reaches the end of its guaranteed lifespan, the Meter Operator who looks after it will contact the customer to book an appointment for a meter exchange.

Malc

Not always true Malc; my gas meter was exchanged in the mid 90s -still here @ 24 years old. I suspect that meter operators are holding off for smart installs.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Pretty much this.

Additional information I can offer it that I have seen electric meters with a certification length of 35 years. The length can (and has been) be changed to a short length (say 5 years for a fault that may occur or 0 for ones needing removed asap) when an issue with a meter is found and the descision is make to remove it from circulation.

Pretty much all new meters are 10 years now. Also re-certification does not happen as it is cheaper to buy a new one. There will be some fringe cases where this does not apply but certinaly will to the domestic meter market.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Not always true Malc; my gas meter was exchanged in the mid 90s -still here @ 24 years old. I suspect that meter operators are holding off for smart installs.

But how do you know it is not at end of life? Many meters get forgotton about or have wrong details on the database. This is especially likely for mirgated data. Since yours was fitted before the opening of the market in 97/98 you supplier may be unaware of the real installation date (or certification date).
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Options
    gorners wrote: »
    Really appreciate the reply, it has set my mind at ease somewhat.

You're welcome gorners. Glad I was able to give you some re-assurance.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »

I know where you're coming from brewerdave. I suspect there are meters, electricity and gas, that might have slipped through the net. I was talking more generally and from our point of view only.

If any of our customers have concerns about their meters, I'd encourage them to talk to us.

Malc
  • Bark01
    Bark01 Posts: 882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Smart meters are designed to last 15 years. How long they will last is another question, but recertification is controlled by Beis.

Beis sample check each model when it hits 3, 6, 9 etc years old for safety/accuracy. When they find the number of errors on a particular model exceeds what ever their benchmark is then Beis will set an end if life date for that model in age, I.e. 12 years from install.

Suppliers are allowed to have 5% of their portfolio outside of the revert date.
    Options
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    Pretty much this.

Additional information I can offer it that I have seen electric meters with a certification length of 35 years. The length can (and has been) be changed to a short length (say 5 years for a fault that may occur or 0 for ones needing removed asap) when an issue with a meter is found and the descision is make to remove it from circulation.

Pretty much all new meters are 10 years now. Also re-certification does not happen as it is cheaper to buy a new one. There will be some fringe cases where this does not apply but certinaly will to the domestic meter market.

Thanks for the additional information Carrot007.

I've just been talking to a Field Operations Manager and they've given me a bit more information.

Newer meters are approved under the Measuring Instruments Directive (MID) and follow an industry process known as In Service Testing (IST) to determine ongoing accuracy. These meters don't have a set expiry date. Instead, we test sample meters in a laboratory to check for measuring accuracy. We may need to contact customers to exchange their meter to allow us to test specific makes and models. Also, if an issue is identified with a particular type of meter, we may need to contact customers to replace their meter.

Sorry for the jargon Carrot007. This is how they talk. Thought I'd better write it as they told me as I'm outside my comfort zone now.

Malc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure