Meter end of life - Eon - SMET2?

Options
gorners
gorners Posts: 20 Forumite
Hi all,

Been refusing a smart meter for years with various companies including my current supplier Eon, but now I’m told my meter is at the end of life and needs to be replaced for safety.

No doubt they’ll want to install a smart meter by default - I’m happy to do this if it’s the 2nd gen. does anyone know of Eon are at the point where this is the default or can be requested? If not then will just request a like for like replacement.

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    In the end I guess they can fit what they want to fit - it's their meter and their leccy or gas and you need a meter to have it delivered to your door

You can always refuse to have gas or leccy which means they wont need to fit one
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • gorners
    Options
    matelodave wrote: »
    In the end I guess they can fit what they want to fit - it's their meter and their leccy or gas and you need a meter to have it delivered to your door

You can always refuse to have gas or leccy which means they wont need to fit one

Who let you out? Absolute nonsense, every single word of that.
  • Michaelw
    Michaelw Posts: 296 Forumite
    Options
    Providers were expected to stop offering first-generation meters, known as Smets1, from March 15 as they often stop working when you switch suppliers.
    But British Gas, SSE, EDF Energy, Eon, npower and Scottish Power have confirmed they are still installing the older meters

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-6827997/Dont-fall-dumb-smart-meter-Energy-firms-continue-offering-generation-devices.html
  • gorners
    Options
    Michaelw wrote: »
    Providers were expected to stop offering first-generation meters, known as Smets1, from March 15 as they often stop working when you switch suppliers.
    But British Gas, SSE, EDF Energy, Eon, npower and Scottish Power have confirmed they are still installing the older meters

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-6827997/Dont-fall-dumb-smart-meter-Energy-firms-continue-offering-generation-devices.html

Thanks for the link, had not seen this. I will of course ask the question but looking at previous posts it seems sometimes that have not been able to confirm which version until they actual come to your house with the meter.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,511 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you live in the North of the country, there seems to be major communications issues with SMETS2 meters and the DCC - so much so that some suppliers have stopped smart installations.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 21 March 2019 at 12:25AM
    Options
    Switch supplier is my advice if they get heavy handed.If you re on a deal with exit fees move to Bulb, they will pay any suppliers exit fee s
    .Eon have been using for a while now the awful Secure Liberty keyboard meter, easily the worst smart meter that has been invented in the world... In SMETS1 form it is capable of being enrolled into the SMETS2 category anyway, so if that is what you are concerned with, accept any meter they care to screw in.
    There is little difference in the two except SMETS2 satisfies suppliers and customers imaginary fears of hackings.. something which has never happened anywhere in the world anyway and never likely to..Purely because there is no reason a hacker would want to mess about with your gas or electric supply, there is no gain to be had, unlike hackers on your pc.
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Oh Houbara, "no reason a hacker would want to mess about with your gas supply", really?

Experts in the field have said that it's not a case of "if" the UK's smart metering infrastructure is hacked* but "when".

* My money's on the Ukrainians (because they're desperate to be relevant on the world stage), then the CIA (just because they can), then the Russians (because, well, they're still the boogeyman post-Cold War).
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 21 March 2019 at 12:30AM
    Options
    Oh Houbara, "no reason a hacker would want to mess about with your gas supply", really?

Experts in the field have said that it's not a case of "if" the UK's smart metering infrastructure is hacked* but "when".

* My money's on the Ukrainians (because they're desperate to be relevant on the world stage), then the CIA (just because they can), then the Russians (because, well, they're still the boogeyman post-Cold War).
    Yeah "really " Mothballs . No good cruising around on Google looking for past examples of hacking, you will only find the usual World wide Web of lies nonsense, especially from Stopsmartmeters.org. They make up stories for fun on there, the "experts in the field " are only self proclaimed "experts ". If Ukraine or Vlads lads fancy a bit of a hack they would target central command at National Grid or Npower and hope , like the NHS, they are using Windows 98 , where they will stand a good chance of success. Targeting me in my bungalow will not achieve anything because I will sort it in a few minutes by bypassing the smart meters
    The only genuine one I found was from Puerto Rico where some employees of the energy company had internally done a kind of fiddle to extract money. I have even found some crook online willing to sell me a "hacking " instrument to "plug " into my meter to adjust the reading lol, bargain at £25 a throw.
    Hackers want money. Theres no point in anyone messing with smart meters. Whats in it for them ? Knowing what time I make my porridge in the morning is useless information.
    Other countries have had smart meters much longer than us, Italy for instance and have never had any instances of hacking
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 22 March 2019 at 1:30PM
    Options
    Houbara, are you aware of something called "Normalcy bias" (Wikipedia article)?
  • gorners
    Options
    Houbara wrote: »
    Switch supplier is my advice if they get heavy handed.If you re on a deal with exit fees move to Bulb, they will pay any suppliers exit fee s
    .Eon have been using for a while now the awful Secure Liberty keyboard meter. In SMETS1 form it is capable of being enrolled into the SMETS2 category anyway, so if that is what you are concerned with, accept any meter they care to screw in.
    There is little difference in the two except SMETS2 satisfies suppliers and customers imaginary fears of hackings.. something which has never happened anywhere in the world anyway and never likely to..Purely because there is no reason a hacker would want to mess about with your gas or electric supply, there is no gain to be had, unlike hackers on your pc.

Wow, that looks like something from the mid-2000s tech. Will look lovely at the side of the Nest.

Thanks for the info - will see what I can get out of them up front, can’t see me wanting that in the house.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure