Any Live In Carers

Options

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    whambam wrote: »
    I didn't say i would be paid for 26 weeks being off, how many hours would you get for family time.
    - none. If you're a live-in carer that is your role for the full period.

There's a law of working time regulations unsure if it applied to the care industry.

Who is it that will be hiring you?
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    whambam wrote: »

well, carers do get respite care.

Family members who are caring for a relative full time may be entitled to respite care. Those who are employed to take care of a person get paid holidays, same as any other employee. The employer then has to pay additional fees, probably to an agency, in order to receive care while their employee/ carer is on holiday.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Can you clarify if you mean caring for family or been employed by a care company to work with clients?
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MarkN88 wrote: »
    Can you clarify if you mean caring for family or been employed by a care company to work with clients?

From his other threads it looks like the OP wants the State to pay him to look after his brother.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5965850
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    From the other thread. The OP claimed it was for religious or cultural things. (My highlighting.)
    You have just copied that phrasing from the examples other people gave you of successful claims. When I asked you for an example of a need which would be inappropriate to get a non family member to do, you said 'taking out the bins'

No one can help you if youre not going to give consistent and accurate information to your situation. You seem to mostly be wanting to be paid over and above carer's allowance without actually giving any reason why you need it.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • KatrinaWaves
    KatrinaWaves Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    nicechap wrote: »
    From the other thread. The OP claimed it was for religious or cultural things. (My highlighting.)

ONLY after they were told that was the type of thing which would be considered extenuating circumstances for direct payments, they repeated it back verbatim when asked what it was for... They have never volunteered any info at any point.
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,855 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Live in carers can also be classified as self employed. I'm aware of an organisation which acts as a "broker" - seems to liaise with families looking for live in carers, does some checking of the candidate, puts jobs on its website for which vetted people can bid. That way there is no paid leave but the carer may get more money in their pocket because there is no employers NI to pay.
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Options
    If you live with your brother and care for him over 35 hours a week I think it is you could apply for careers allowance alongside getting I think it’s universal credit now.

But I think you will be really lucky to get 24 hour support paid to yourself as it is extremely costly for one (your looking at £2k ish a week) and there’s not that many get funding for it and often then go to other avenues for support.they won’t get 24 hour care just for needing support to put the rubbish out for example. 24 hour support is generally for folk with really severe needs, and is being scaled back and other avenues of support often looked into ive found in recent times
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • whambam
    whambam Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    LilElvis wrote: »
    From his other threads it looks like the OP wants the State to pay him to look after his brother.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5965850

I've just attended an event this morning about direct payments at my local housing for inclusive living. Husbands and wifes and parent carers are receiving funding to look after their loved ones this is entirely legal they stated they have in excess of 700 cases. Most service users prefer family members to look after them.

Also, centres for inclusive living which are regulated by care inspectorates have a 3rd party legal option to pay other family members of the same or other household the rules were amended in 2016 to reflect this. https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/practical-support/getting-care-and-support/direct-payments
    nicechap wrote: »

Also, a medical reason as well.
    If you live with your brother and care for him over 35 hours a week I think it is you could apply for careers allowance alongside getting I think it’s universal credit now.

But I think you will be really lucky to get 24 hour support paid to yourself as it is extremely costly for one (your looking at £2k ish a week) and there’s not that many get funding for it and often then go to other avenues for support.they won’t get 24 hour care just for needing support to put the rubbish out for example. 24 hour support is generally for folk with really severe needs, and is being scaled back and other avenues of support often looked into ive found in recent times

I already get carers allowance. My brother doesn't require 24 hour care. Well, he needs personal care and attend classes, gym etc.
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Options
    That’s what you get the carers allowance for - personal care, general support.

You might possibly get support workers in to take him into the community to attend classes etc to give you a break, but I will be really really surprised if they pay you more than the carers allowance.

It’s a really daft system but they generally seem to think family can just get carers allowance for looking after family, but it is what it is sadly
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport