Sky Unfair terms -

Options
I just had a conversation with Sky to reduce my TV package. During the chat, she tells me that if I stop paying for HD programmes I will immediately lost the programmes already recorded in HD. I would keep everything else.

I pay for Sky in advance. When I record a programme I have a date by which it should be watched or it is deleted anyway. I feel that it is unfair to immediately remove something which I have paid for.

I questioned this and was told that the ability to record is not charged for. However, I pay for the Sky Q "service" which includes the ability to record and play back. As it is therefore part of the contract, I don't accept that it is fair to delete these recordings immediately.

In England and Wales, contract terms have to be fair. I do not consider it fair that for example, if I sign a new contract for 18 months, I have to pay cancellation charges but they can increase the price in 12 months if they want. We should start a campaign for the contract to be fixed on both sides.

Anyone else got a view or interested?

Chris

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    >We should start a campaign for the contract to be fixed on both sides. >

You should start .
  • TheSaltMan
    Options
    Happy to, if there is enough of a consensus
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    TheSaltMan wrote: »
    Happy to, if there is enough of a consensus

There won't be.

If you don't like the T&C's you have already agreed with then vote with your feet and leave.

As for the HD recordings they're quite correct, it would be the same if you had the sports channels and cancelled them. If you haven't watched them by the time it turns off then tough. You don't own the recorded shows, you merely have a license to watch them while a paid subscriber.
  • TheSaltMan
    Options
    Happy to read your opinion, doesn't mean I have to agree with it. It is irrelevant that a recording might be of a sports programme or a HD programme, the point is the same. The contract does not state that programmes must be watched live because it is a contract to record the programmes if you wish and to watch at a later time / date. I am not asking to remove the programme to another device, or copy it or anything else, just to watch the programme within the time frame that I knew I had when I decided to record it.

I pay in advance for a service that they can change when it suits them. I have to give them notice of leaving and pay cancellation charges but they can stop me enjoying the benefits of that immediately. I wouldn't mind if they replaced the HD recordings with the standard definition recordings but they are removing something that I have paid for. The recordings have a delete date anyway which suggests that they should be watched within a certain time frame - why can't they be fair and use that?

It's too obvious to say that we should vote with our feet. What is the alternative? There is no reasonable alternative to Sky as a package and they are just jumping on the backs of the mobile phone co's which decided that they wanted to increase rates during a contract. Who else does that? I repeat - just because they do it, does not make it fair and contract terms have to be fair.
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    Options
    Why not watch the HD programmes you have already recorded, then terminate your contract with Sky?
  • tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The point is that whether you watch them live or record them and watch them later, you have to be paying the appropriate subscription at the time you view it. It's always been this way and it's not unfair because you know what you are signing up for in advance.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    Options
    The recordings have a delete date anyway which suggests that they should be watched within a certain time frame - why can't they be fair and use that?

Since you asked. The box just records the raw encrypted stream. So without an active subscription they cannot be played back.

Only ones downloaded though catch up have end (deletion) dates don't they? Or has something changed?

When my sky box broke I laughed at not having their overpriced protect and bought and old one of ebay for next to nothing. Once registed I could watch the "recordings" on it that I have an appropriate subscription for. If you had scheduled live recordings you should be able to unsubscribe and watch them next time you subscribe. (I then binned the drive that came with it and used a decent size one!).

Yes they are overpriced and offer nothing wothwhile anymore. HD should be standard and 4k an option (it is not really an option when they want me to have a second box that i would have nothing to connect it to). As such I have cancelled. Best thing you can do too.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,937 Forumite
    Options
    Strictly speaking there is not and never has been any legal right to record anything, the fact its a feature of Sky (and of previous video recorders) is beside the point. You don't own the programme(s) you're recording, however its one of those laws that cannot realistically be enforced, PC Plod won't come and bash your door down just because you kept an episode of Coronation Street for longer than you should have.

The official consensus that was later adopted was basically personal timeshifting (aka recording) for personal viewing at a reasonably later date was official and you were supposed (in theory) to wipe it later. That being said, because people did record and keep stuff from original airings, we now have YouTube full of off-air recordings of things that technically should have been wiped years ago.
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,125 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I cannot see the difference between HD and non HD channels.
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Happy to read your opinion, doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

If that was directed at me then I didn't offer an opinion, merely stated fact.
    wild666 wrote: »
    I cannot see the difference between HD and non HD channels.

Are you officially registered partially sighted? :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport