IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Smart Parking Ltd solicitors letter

Options

Comments

• beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 March 2019 at 8:44PM
    Options
    AdeleLisa wrote: »
    I can’t believe there are such kind people around that have taken the time to help me today! I cannot express how thankful I am to you and to the others that have replied. I will follow your instructuctions and will let you know if I receive anymore threats!

Your a star

Thank you xxxx

It is our pleasure, everyone on here want to help against parking scammers.

So we understand, what is the story behind these tickets
  • AdeleLisa
    AdeleLisa Posts: 46 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I received no notice to keeper parking fines that’s why I’m so upset! I never had the opportunity to appeal in time! So they got me!! They are also not arguing that a ticket was issued as I was told they can’t comment as my appeal has been turned down and passed to dept collectors. Case closed and pay the fine so they think!
    Thank god I posted on here, I would of arranged a payment plan!
    :T:T Adele:T:T
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,897 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Please stop using the word 'fine'.

You have not received any fine.

All you have received, or not received, are speculative invoices.

The word 'fine' gives them and their issuer a level of authority they simply do not have.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    IGNORE drpl , they are powerless

SMART have 6 years to try a court case, so one year is nothing

and the £100 charge has been "standard" for over 6 years , so although you may thing its extortionate, it is or can be enforced if the court case ended in their favour (if it ever happens)

thse are not "fines", they are invoices , nothing more

that DRPL letters is not from GLADRAGS, its from DRPL , so ignore
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    AdeleLisa wrote: »
    I received no notice to keeper parking fines that’s why I’m so upset! I never had the opportunity to appeal in time! So they got me!! They are also not arguing that a ticket was issued as I was told they can’t comment as my appeal has been turned down and passed to dept collectors. Case closed and pay the fine so they think!

Well you certainly do not pay any scammer so forget that.

The puzzle is that they say "your appeal has been turned down"

Why do you think they would say that
  • AdeleLisa
    Options
    They turned down my appeal because apparently it had gone over the 28 days

The dates go back to June last year of when I last parked in the car park! I was told in the email that Due to the length of time the PCN Has been open it’s been past on to the DRC. I told them in my email I was never given the opportunity to challenge each the ticket albeit I never received one at the time. To have a letter land on your door step just like that threatening me with debt collectors! It came totally out of the blue! I can’t argue with them as they have an answer for everything.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Smart Parking do not deal with Gladstones, that's how we were able to expose the scam that DRP we're trying to sucker you into.

Smart have, a good few months ago, had a short-lived dalliance with SCS solicitors; to give them their (rather undue) due, I think they're too 'smart' to jump into bed with G's.

Keep ignoring. Come back if you need any reassurance as time progresses.

Just so as you know - and it's not meant as any kind of 'frightener' - Smart have 6 years in which to pursue you through the courts, but, as they behave currently, are unlikely to do so. Just don't be alarmed if you get something a few months/years hence, come back here for contemporaneous advice then.

Scam exposed for you!
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • AdeleLisa
    Options
    Thank you so much! I will speak to you soon!!

Xxxxxxxx
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,748 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Do people REALLY do this just because a scam DRP letter arrives on Gladstones paper? Wow. glad you are here.

There are LOADS of Smart Gladstones threads - all the same. Please search & read them.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    Read this from an MP in the H of C recently

Pete Wishart (SNP, Perth):

"I am sick and tired of receiving emails from people complaining about the behaviour of parking companies, telling me that they will never again visit Perth city centre because of the negative experience they had when they had the misfortune to end up in a car park operated by one of these companies. I have received more complaints about one car park in the city of Perth than about any other issue. That car park is operated by the lone ranger of the parking cowboys: the hated and appalling Smart Parking—I see that many other Members are unfortunate enough to have Smart Parking operating in their constituencies. It has reached the stage where one member of my staff now spends a good part of each day just helping my constituents and visitors to my constituency to navigate the appeals process.

The BPA does not have the ability to regulate these companies and has shown no sign whatsoever that it is trying to get on top of some of the sharper practices. The BPA gives a veneer of legitimacy to some of the more outlandish rogue operators by including them in their membership, allowing them to continue to operate. The Bill will oblige operators such as Smart Parking to amend their practices."

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of alleged contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors. Is has been suggested by an MP that some of these companies may have connections to organised crime.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, (especially Smart}, and others have already been named and shamed in the House of Commons as have Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each week), hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned. They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

The problem become so widespread that MPs agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. It has cleared Parliament and hopefully, this will become law shortly.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure