We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Help! Extortionate O2 Browsing charges!!
Hi There,
Was wondering if anyone has had the same or simular problems to myself? I recently upgraded from a Motorola PEBL to a Nokia N95. I have already been without a phone for a week as the lcd screen has seemingly shattered which I'm abit worried won't be covered on warranty as it really is cracked even tho it hasn't been whacked hard or dropped and it's also gone totally black so I can't see the screen at all! :mad:
Anyway, to add insult to injury, last month my usually £30 bill became £60 with browsing charges, which I was abit shocked by but thought it would be a one off as I usually NEVER go over the 1mb included in my tariff. Today I found this months bill to be £120!!! I don't use the wap excessively as I have internet at home anyway so don't need to, only to maybe check ebay/facebook!! it was only used 13 times and that was in 3 weeks as like I said it's been broken and Ive not used it for a week!!
12 Oct 0714:05:21wap.o2.co.uk 1316 (kb)0.727P16 Oct 0700:16:19wap.o2.co.uk 1964 4.89017 Oct 0707:53:23wap.o2.co.uk 2432 6.05618 Oct 0723:43:02wap.o2.co.uk 238 0.59319 Oct 0707:14:31wap.o2.co.uk 5956 14.83020 Oct 0723:51:47wap.o2.co.uk 62 0.15421 Oct 0700:13:04wap.o2.co.uk 7733 19.25523 Oct 0708:35:23wap.o2.co.uk 3268 8.13725 Oct 0707:40:26wap.o2.co.uk 3173 7.90126 Oct 0722:09:52wap.o2.co.uk 476 1.18527 Oct 0707:05:55wap.o2.co.uk 3402 8.47128 Oct 0700:08:25wap.o2.co.uk 1311 3.26431 Oct 0716:53:32wap.o2.co.uk 5 0.012Total volume 31,336 Total cost £75.48
cost for just browsing plus vat!
Unfortunatly it's in my Dads name so I'm relying on him to call them but they've just logged a enquiry and he has to phone them back Monday. As for calling again about the screen (as different dept!) he works shifts so is hard for him to get it sorted. I'm so stuck without a phone too grrr!
Well, just wondered if anyone has had any simular problems.
Ro xx
Was wondering if anyone has had the same or simular problems to myself? I recently upgraded from a Motorola PEBL to a Nokia N95. I have already been without a phone for a week as the lcd screen has seemingly shattered which I'm abit worried won't be covered on warranty as it really is cracked even tho it hasn't been whacked hard or dropped and it's also gone totally black so I can't see the screen at all! :mad:
Anyway, to add insult to injury, last month my usually £30 bill became £60 with browsing charges, which I was abit shocked by but thought it would be a one off as I usually NEVER go over the 1mb included in my tariff. Today I found this months bill to be £120!!! I don't use the wap excessively as I have internet at home anyway so don't need to, only to maybe check ebay/facebook!! it was only used 13 times and that was in 3 weeks as like I said it's been broken and Ive not used it for a week!!
12 Oct 0714:05:21wap.o2.co.uk 1316 (kb)0.727P16 Oct 0700:16:19wap.o2.co.uk 1964 4.89017 Oct 0707:53:23wap.o2.co.uk 2432 6.05618 Oct 0723:43:02wap.o2.co.uk 238 0.59319 Oct 0707:14:31wap.o2.co.uk 5956 14.83020 Oct 0723:51:47wap.o2.co.uk 62 0.15421 Oct 0700:13:04wap.o2.co.uk 7733 19.25523 Oct 0708:35:23wap.o2.co.uk 3268 8.13725 Oct 0707:40:26wap.o2.co.uk 3173 7.90126 Oct 0722:09:52wap.o2.co.uk 476 1.18527 Oct 0707:05:55wap.o2.co.uk 3402 8.47128 Oct 0700:08:25wap.o2.co.uk 1311 3.26431 Oct 0716:53:32wap.o2.co.uk 5 0.012Total volume 31,336 Total cost £75.48
cost for just browsing plus vat!
Unfortunatly it's in my Dads name so I'm relying on him to call them but they've just logged a enquiry and he has to phone them back Monday. As for calling again about the screen (as different dept!) he works shifts so is hard for him to get it sorted. I'm so stuck without a phone too grrr!
Well, just wondered if anyone has had any simular problems.
Ro xx
0
Comments
-
anyone???
0 -
Get your dad to call o2 and give permission for you to speak for him on his behalf.
I can't help you on your actual problem.Well life is harsh, hug me don't reject me.0 -
Hi
I sent you a PM.:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin0 -
The N95 is data hungry, so its no surprise why you've been charged so much. I've upgraded from a 6680 to the N95, and didn't realise how much stuff the N95 downloads in such a short space of time.
I frequently access Facebook and eBay, and the N95 download over 1Mb in a matter of a few seconds. The toolbar shows how much is downloaded, and it jumps quickly from 1Kb to 900Kb etc, on each Facebook page. Luckily for me, Orange WAP is unlimited off-peak, for just £5p/m, so I'm okay with that.
If your tariff allows only 1Mb, I wouldn't be surprised if you use that loading just one page (i.e. log in screen on Facebook)!
If you are accessing the internet whilst inside the house, you should consider accessing the Internet via a wireless router (if you have that), as the N95 can connect using a LAN. If you're out and about, search for nearby LAN networks and you can access one that doesn't have a security key enabled, and use theirs free! The N95 is power hungry for internet browsing, so always keep your "searching for LAN" setting as off, when not in use.0 -
O2 charges £3 per 1MB.
You need to get their data add on at £7.50 a month for 200MB.0 -
The N95 is data hungry, so its no surprise why you've been charged so much. I've upgraded from a 6680 to the N95, and didn't realise how much stuff the N95 downloads in such a short space of time.
I frequently access Facebook and eBay, and the N95 download over 1Mb in a matter of a few seconds. The toolbar shows how much is downloaded, and it jumps quickly from 1Kb to 900Kb etc, on each Facebook page. Luckily for me, Orange WAP is unlimited off-peak, for just £5p/m, so I'm okay with that.
If your tariff allows only 1Mb, I wouldn't be surprised if you use that loading just one page (i.e. log in screen on Facebook)!
If you are accessing the internet whilst inside the house, you should consider accessing the Internet via a wireless router (if you have that), as the N95 can connect using a LAN. If you're out and about, search for nearby LAN networks and you can access one that doesn't have a security key enabled, and use theirs free! The N95 is power hungry for internet browsing, so always keep your "searching for LAN" setting as off, when not in use.
Also known as theft !!!0 -
not nessasarily. Some companies open up wlan in an attempt to avoid hacking into locked critical sensitive networks. I guess they think that if someone finds their network and can get in, it deters them from trying to get into the secured network. Also, don't starbucks and mcDs offer free access in order to keep you in store?
Have to be careful though, and confess I have never done it!0 -
so it's not really extortionate O2 browsing costs, it's extortionate coding by facebook and extortionate downloading by the OP?0
-
facebook is free on O2 as long as you use the wap.o2.co.uk apn (should be O2 WAP GPRS in the settings list) untill 31st december (as is myspace).
Have you downloaded any applications - java ones that could be "dailing home" without your knowlage? Did you port in to O2 from anouther network0 -
Hiya, I would hardly call probably about 30mins extorniate downloading on my behalf in 3 weeks! not to amount to that much!
Warrend: no, I haven't downloaded any applications, whatsoever. Least that would explain a bit but nope.
I really hardly use it at all!
I really wish that when I upgraded they'd have advised how much the N95 uses! I did my homework beforehand and was aware of some of the problems other people had had with it but did not think this would be one of them! I wouldn't mind so much but the main reason I used it was because Id turned the damn computer off before checking ebay a few times! grrr, shan't do that again that's for sure.
I would have happily paid the £7.50 for 200mb, well probably just wouldn't have used it actually!0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards