Slow broadband sufferers have more rights from tomorrow - MSE News

2»

Comments

• zaax
    zaax Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    With the advent of 4g mobile internet is becoming usable, so try that instead
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
  • KLNMSoftly
    KLNMSoftly Posts: 18 Forumite
    I'm with Virgin and I complained about my internet being slow and they did do a fix which worked.

I'm not sure why they don't do it from the get-go but they split my broadband into two; 5G and 2G.

The 5G was super quicker (and the speed I should be getting) and the 2G was slower but has greater range (and I could get wifi from the end of the garden).

Anyway, maybe ask for this if you're on Virgin. They did it all remotely over the phone.
  • Sibz
    Sibz Posts: 389 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    JJ_Egan wrote: »

Openreach have started a rollout of FTTP replacing the old cables .

Fantastic news for the great great grandchildren
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    KLNMSoftly wrote: »
    I'm with Virgin and I complained about my internet being slow and they did do a fix which worked.

I'm not sure why they don't do it from the get-go but they split my broadband into two; 5G and 2G.

The 5G was super quicker (and the speed I should be getting) and the 2G was slower but has greater range (and I could get wifi from the end of the garden).

Anyway, maybe ask for this if you're on Virgin. They did it all remotely over the phone.

So your WiFi was slow, not your Internet. Two different things
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    KLNMSoftly wrote: »

What they did had nothing to do with your broadband speed. The 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz are your Wi-Fi frequencies and would have no effect on your incoming broadband speed (only effect would be devices that connect to Wi-Fi).

As default all modern routers will have both these frequencies without having to split it into two SSID's; devices will be able to connect to it and automatically switch between them to get the best speed and signal.

This can be done easily by the user on almost any router but the reason it's not done from the start is because it shouldn't be needed and should automatically switch to the best frequency and makes it less convenient by having two SSID's and having devices switch between them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure