The Top Easy Access Savings Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• alanji
    alanji Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Yes it is clearly displayed on the home page, and that is the link I followed, but then you come up against the options 'Instant Access' or 'Don't know'. It did not occur to me to click on 'don't know' because I did know! Seems a strange way of going about things, why don't they just give you the 'Internet Savings' option to select?

I think they may have changed it (thanks to you?) as the link I used clearly states "Internet Saver" with no options. I have not yet received any confirmation but did print out the on-line confirmation (for what its worth).

Manchester Premier Guarantee (4%) was withdrawn on Friday - hope my application got in on time.
    Alliance & Leicester on line tracker is still available, paying at least base plus 1.75% for 12 months.
  • Summs
    Options
    Hi,

I've just tried to open up a savings account with Barclays - monthly savings account with fixed rate of 7.75% for 12months but the bank told me there is no such thing.. has anyone opened one up, is it any different or anything I need to quote etc? any help would be greatly appreciated!?!

Thanks
  • Vectra
    Vectra Posts: 152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    here is details of A/L's 5% offering,trouble is it will take you a month to open an acc with them

http://www.alliance-leicester.co.uk/savings/esaver.aspx?urlgen=y&exp=30&cm_mmc=moneyexpe-_-ptr-_-ec01095000274882esaver-_-moneyexper
  • alanji
    Options
    Vectra wrote: »
    here is details of A/L's 5% offering,trouble is it will take you a month to open an acc with them

http://www.alliance-leicester.co.uk/savings/esaver.aspx?urlgen=y&exp=30&cm_mmc=moneyexpe-_-ptr-_-ec01095000274882esaver-_-moneyexper

This is a poor account in my view. You loose all interest for any month in which you make a withdrawal (except July). The only guarantee is that you will get a min of 0.5% above base. The rate has not dropped following the last 1% base cut. I think their online tracker paying at least 1.75% over base and no withdrawal penalties is a better bet. They turned round my (and my wifes account in 3 working days) - full account details received (pin next day). And that was last week with the Xmas post - full marks.
  • oldandgrumpy
    Options
    Hi summs. Yes I did, but the offer closed Dec 1st.
  • Jake'sGran
    Jake'sGran Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Options
    Summs wrote: »
    Hi,

I've just tried to open up a savings account with Barclays - monthly savings account with fixed rate of 7.75% for 12months but the bank told me there is no such thing.. has anyone opened one up, is it any different or anything I need to quote etc? any help would be greatly appreciated!?!

Thanks

I know it is obvious but just have a go at working out the return you will get at the e
    nd of 12 months. If you can afford it just put as much as you can each month into
    the best rate instant access account. Some people did get caught out thinking they were going to get e.g. 7.75% on every penny they put in.
  • fernando_vaz
    Options
    Hi all

I am looking to do the following and wanted advise on what to do with my money...

I have £2k now and will be adding approx £1K every month for the next 12 months. I will not need to with draw the money during this period and I have used my ISA allowance for this year. I want to make the maximum interest on my money.

Any advice on where to put my money would be appreciated.
  • margaretlouise
    Options
    My RBS Direct Saver Account (Internet) has dropped its rate quite a bit and I am looking to invest £12k in an instant access account. I was looking at Principality - does anyone know anything about them. MSE does not mention them either. What do you think? They pay 4.51% AER.
  • Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    I was looking at Principality - does anyone know anything about them.
    I've had a number of Cash ISAs with them in the past and, in my experience, have always found them to be fine, with very good customer service.
  • alanji
    Options
    My RBS Direct Saver Account (Internet) has dropped its rate quite a bit and I am looking to invest £12k in an instant access account. I was looking at Principality - does anyone know anything about them. MSE does not mention them either. What do you think? They pay 4.51% AER.
    Rate has dropped to 3.07% from 1 Jan and there is no guarantee - better elsewhere.

Tesco looks like it is going to withdraw its bonus:
    completed applications received on or by the 7th January will be eligible for the advertised bonus rate, provided account opening formalities (for example ID checks) are completed satisfactorily.
    rate reduces from 6% to 5.1% (incl bonus) from 8 Jan.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback