The Top Easy Access Savings Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• malah1de
    Options
    luv-my-brass I'm having similar trouble. Could I ask which number did you use for the Tesco Helpline? I can find no obvious Internet account destination on the menu. If I input for Instant access, they ask for an account number, which of course I don't yet have:)
  • alanji
    alanji Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    I had no trouble opening the Tesco account - the two accounts are clearly displayed on the savings home page. The Internet Saver, with the 1.5% bonus, application is here:

http://www.tescofinance.com/personal/finance/savings/savingsaccounts/internetsaver/internetsaver_1.html
  • malah1de
    Options
    Hi alanji. Already found the page, and got 2/3 of the way through, but I have a query re setting up an account, which I need to resolve with a Tesco staff member before committing.
  • malah1de
    Options
    I thought maybe the web site for Tesco Finance was not very well supported. It seems I'm not the only one. I found a link to someone else's experience, but this site doesn't like the link. For info, its on Cash Questions, under savings/Tesco Internet Saver.
    Precis of comments on the convoluted way to set up the deposit: Sign up online, get an application pack by post, return a cheque. When cheque clears, get a signature slip (online), print off and return by post. Then Tesco send a validation code, by email I think. Until that's accepted, you can't access your account on line. And if you can't speak to anyone to clarify a minor aspect of the process, its rather a non-starter. It might be quicker and more secure to go to a High Street BS/bank with approximately the same interest on offer, which I will now have to explore further.
  • Gambit
    Gambit Posts: 584 Forumite
    Options
    That's strange to hear that so many people are having problems with this as when I set up my account it was very straight forward. Having said that, I did open my account months ago before it was mentioned on MSE so maybe they are just struggling to deal with all the new customers coming their way. Not saying that's an excuse but just thought I'd add my 2 cents worth! ;)
    Current Debt Owed To Family: [STRIKE]£12,575[/STRIKE] £9,000 :wall:
    Estimated Debt Free... [STRIKE]Dec 2012[/STRIKE] Aug 2012

:xmassmileChristmas 2010 Sealed Pot Challenge #477 :xmassmile
  • luv_my_brass
    Options
    alanji wrote: »
    I had no trouble opening the Tesco account - the two accounts are clearly displayed on the savings home page. The Internet Saver, with the 1.5% bonus, application is here:

http://www.tescofinance.com/personal/finance/savings/savingsaccounts/internetsaver/internetsaver_1.html

Yes it is clearly displayed on the home page, and that is the link I followed, but then you come up against the options 'Instant Access' or 'Don't know'. It did not occur to me to click on 'don't know' because I did know! Seems a strange way of going about things, why don't they just give you the 'Internet Savings' option to select?

Malah1de the helpline is 08457 10 40 10.

I have now managed to open the Internet savers account as well, and will transfer money between the two accounts online. But to be able to do this, I have to wait until they send me my account number. Perhaps for safety reasons they send bits of info separately, but until you get the whole lot ie. Account No. , sort code, and pin number, you can't access your account online.
    if i had known then what i know now
  • SPACON
    SPACON Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, checked out this account following the link on this http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/savings-accounts-best-interest#instant MSE page. Which as Martin described was called Issue 3, with a rate of 4.70 % AER with the rate not being dropped yet.

Well, whilst I was checking out their website reading all the FAQs etc regarding their account the website when I refreshed it displayed a new rate of 4.05% and the account was now referred to as Issue 2. Check it out here http://www.capitalonesavings.co.uk/BonusSaverAccount.asp

However, notice on this link that they say this rate is effective from 14/11/08. Total BS yet again from the banks. In addition if you check out the link for their previous rates you now see the Issue 3 account at the 4.7% rate also dated effective from 14/11/08.

Martin did warn that the rate had not dropped yet but the nerve of these institutions gets me.:mad:
  • Mercenary
    Options
    Yes it is clearly displayed on the home page, and that is the link I followed, but then you come up against the options 'Instant Access' or 'Don't know'. It did not occur to me to click on 'don't know' because I did know! Seems a strange way of going about things, why don't they just give you the 'Internet Savings' option to select?

I also found this quirk very odd :confused:. Luckily, because I had been reading about it on this site, I managed to dodge that particular pitfall.
    Now I just have to hope that the account info pack doesn't get lost in the Xmas post :eek:.
  • nobby24
    nobby24 Posts: 398 Forumite
    Options
    I was looking for somewhere to put my money because Bank internet savings accounts are going to nothing (i have a First Direct e-saver, was 4.75 now 1.75%!). I found the Saga Top 5 Tracker, it's paying 5.66% and it guarantees to stay within 0.25% of the Top 5 saving accounts. I got in on the last day you could join!

;)
    A problem shared is a problem multiplied. :o
  • alanfp
    alanfp Posts: 173 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ING upset me by offering better rates to 'brand new customers only'.
    However, there's nothing to stop me closing my old a/c and applying for a new one, they tell me.

Their instant access rate of 5% advertised in yeaterday's press (I know that includes a bonus for the 1st year only) seems fairly good (and better than the 'best buys' on the MSE website, as far as I can see). What I do like about ING is how easy they are to deal with, so I am tempted.

Any comments?????
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure