The Top Easy Access Savings Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• andrewf_2
    Options
    Am I the only one getting fed up with these rate drops.

Every time I apply for one account that remains better from Martin's list, by the time they get the paperwork to me and then transfer the initial deposit, they drop the rates and you have to start again.:rolleyes:

Just logged into my 'new' capital one account to see the 1.8% rate drop and now I have to wait for the initial deposit to hit to then send back again means more days of lost interest.

I think I might wait until they all reset, cant be long now.
  • sloppyjoe_2
    Options
    patrick0 wrote: »
    I've just signed up for the AA savings account. It now has 2 options in the sign up process:
    1. pay interest into the AA savings account
    2. pay interest into another account
    So someone should remove that comment from the savings article.
    hansi wrote: »
    I have the Internet Saver (6.28% gross) and I can confirm that they have added last months interest to the account as requested on sign up. They must have changed the rules!

I tried to sign up for the AA Internet Savings Account (Issue 1) this morning and the only option is to have the interest paid into your linked account. I phoned them up and was told that this condition was a basic rider to the account and that in no way could it be changed. The interest can be paid to another AA Savings account but not back into the AA Internet Savings Account (Issue 1) so I didn't bother proceeding.

Can the above posters confirm that they have the interest paid back into the same AA Internet Savings Account (Issue 1) that generated the interest, or is it to another AA account?

I have £10k that I took out of my ING (ex Kaupthing Edge) account and now I don't know where to put it. My first thought was this AA a/c or perhaps Tesco Internet Savings.

Any advice for a confused newbie?
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    sloppyjoe wrote: »
    The interest can be paid to another AA Savings account but not back into the AA Internet Savings Account (Issue 1) so I didn't bother proceeding.
    I have £10k and now I don't know where to put it.
    Is where the interest gets paid really that big a deal? You can have the interest paid into your current account and pay it straight back into the AA. I know you'll lose out on a few days of compound interest, but we're not talking anything significant here.
    I would have thought this was a much better idea than leaving your money earning pittance for any longer than it needs to.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Reading previous posts it and knowing the money laundering identification difficulties which sometimes arise, it would seem a good idea never to close an account completely when you want to move money around just in case you need to reuse it again at some time in the future. Just leaving a couple of pounds in it could save a week of lost interest trying to set up accounts again.
  • voyagerbear
    Options
    how did the people that asked for their interest to be added to the AA account get them to do it. I have a BM account and they won't add it and I phoned Saga today and they won't either. So how do you do it?
  • hansi
    hansi Posts: 3,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Simple really. There were two options on the application form. One was to have it paid to the linked account, the other to be paid into the AA account.:j
  • Gambit
    Gambit Posts: 584 Forumite
    Options
    andrewf wrote: »
    Am I the only one getting fed up with these rate drops.

Every time I apply for one account that remains better from Martin's list, by the time they get the paperwork to me and then transfer the initial deposit, they drop the rates and you have to start again.:rolleyes:

Just logged into my 'new' capital one account to see the 1.8% rate drop and now I have to wait for the initial deposit to hit to then send back again means more days of lost interest.

I think I might wait until they all reset, cant be long now.

No, I'm defo with you there andrewf! I currently have a Bradford and Bingley Internet Saver which has had its rate dropped. Not sure if I should bother changing now though as surely all the banks will eventually drop their instant access savings rates. Would be good to know when it the best time to choose the best though ie. when will it be a level playing field?? :confused:
    Current Debt Owed To Family: [STRIKE]£12,575[/STRIKE] £9,000 :wall:
    Estimated Debt Free... [STRIKE]Dec 2012[/STRIKE] Aug 2012

:xmassmileChristmas 2010 Sealed Pot Challenge #477 :xmassmile
  • leaphaze
    leaphaze Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just tried to apply for the AA Savings a/c, on clicking Apply Now I get message "This web site is currently unavailable and is undergoing maintenance...". However if I try to apply for a credit card that part of the website is still working. :confused:

Is this devious or am I being paranoid?
    Wearing my other one today.
  • Bullwinkle
    Options
    @ leaphaze, I logged onto the AA site yesterday and there was a note stating maintenance was scheduled for today. It should be back up and running tomorrow, so don't fret.
  • yupik
    Options
    To anyone who is thinking of opening this account with Tesco, please be aware that you may not be able to access your account for some time after it has been opened and you have registered (a long drawn out process in itself!).
    22 days, and 4 phone calls to Tesco later, I still can't get into my online account! If you need access to your money, beware!
    There are similar less complicated online savings account out there!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback