The Top Easy Access Savings Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 6,012 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ATur wrote: »
    Hello. Based on the top easy access savings accounts tables I opened an account with Bank of Cyprus last week as it was top with 1.35%. It has now disappeared from the table. Is there a reason for this as it still looks as if it should be the highest interest paying account in this division? Thanks

http://www.bankofcyprus.co.uk/personal-savings-everyday-banking/compare-accounts/

"1.25% including 12 month bonus
    For accounts opened on and after 8pm on 17 November 2017"

If you opened before the deadline you (should) get the 1.35%.
  • das1969
    das1969 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 November 2017 at 12:24AM
    Options
    dekkard wrote: »
    I emailed the Coventry Building Society about their rate changes. Here's their reply:

"We're increasing rates on all variable rate savings by 0.25% on 1 December - the [1.40%] rate you're referring to will be paid on some closed issue Easy Access accounts held by existing members.

Our current range of Easy Access savings accounts will be increasing by 0.25% on 1 December."

So, as of December 1st, their Easy Access rate will be 1.10%.

Though the account with Coventry paying out at 1.4% is closed, if you've got cash ISAs from previous years with other providers, you can transfer them into your closed account at Coventry in order to get the higher rate.
  • dekkard
    dekkard Posts: 229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dekkard wrote: »
    Applied to open a Birmingham Midshires account on 21st October. I returned all the docs/cheque they asked for by return of post.

Today, 14th November, still waiting for the final letter from them so I can operate the account. 24 days since I applied !

Have now opened a Paragon account instead.

I advise against dealing with Birmingham Midshires currently, unless I've been particularly unlucky.

Today (21st Nov) marks one month since I applied for their Easy Access savings account. STILL not received the final letter to allow me to open the account. Replied to their last email to me and got a 'Mailbox full' response!
  • ask66
    ask66 Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just a word about Tesco's Internet Saver... currently paying 0.4% basic plus 0.8% bonus = 1.2% for 12 months from date of opening. The basic rate increases for all customers to 0.55% on 1st Dec, making the rate with bonus 1.35%. However, the bonus rate varies depending on when you opened the account, and Tesco don't notify existing customers when they change the bonus rate offered to new customers.

A list of all bonus rates is at http://www.tescobank.com/savings/previous-interest-rates/#internet-saver-3

If your bonus rate is lower than that currently on offer, you can't just ask them to upgrade your account. But you can log in to your existing account, and then apply online for the new one. The form will have most of your details already pre-entered, and takes about 10 minutes to complete. At the end, you have the option to transfer the balance from the old account to the new. I think you may need to phone if you want the old account closed and the interest transferred across.
  • claire07
    claire07 Posts: 660 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm in a similar position to Dekkard and would advise against opening Birmingham Midshires. I opened mine 2 November and despite sending the opening cheque they have still not cashed it and I am still waiting for user name, password and activation code.

Each time I phone to complain they say they have been very busy and I will have to be patient!
  • puttee
    puttee Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Charter Savings Bank recently announced their 1.32% easy access account. I signed up for this. Was just looking at their website and it seems to have disappeared from their offerings.
    Does anyone know has it been withdrawn? Or just a blip?
    Seems odd, think it was only launched a week ago.
    Is this a cause for concern do you think?
  • dekkard
    Options
    puttee wrote: »
    Charter Savings Bank recently announced their 1.32% easy access account. I signed up for this. Was just looking at their website and it seems to have disappeared from their offerings.
    Does anyone know has it been withdrawn? Or just a blip?
    Seems odd, think it was only launched a week ago.
    Is this a cause for concern do you think?

I asked them this morning about why they have no Easy Access accounts showing on their website. Their response below:

"Our latest Easy Access account was extremely popular and we’ve filled our allocation for now. We constantly look for opportunities to offer new accounts though, so please keep checking our website."

So, nothing to worry about...
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Birmingham Midshires - Got my letter with my user name yesterday. Set up on line banking. Logged out. Tried to log in again. Details not accepted. Phoned their help desk. You can't use spaces in any of the security information! They ask you for names of people, name of favourite book or film, but you can't use a space! They accept a space when you set up it, and then you can't log on!!!

Just tried to fund my account. It takes three days to pull the money across from my linked account by DD. Tried setting up a faster payment from Lloyds. Let's see how long that takes to arrive.

This account may be ok if you want to tie money up longer term, but seems to be useless for anyone wanting to move money frequently and quickly.
  • dekkard
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    Birmingham Midshires - Got my letter with my user name yesterday. Set up on line banking. Logged out. Tried to log in again. Details not accepted. Phoned their help desk. You can't use spaces in any of the security information! They ask you for names of people, name of favourite book or film, but you can't use a space! They accept a space when you set up it, and then you can't log on!!!

Just tried to fund my account. It takes three days to pull the money across from my linked account by DD. Tried setting up a faster payment from Lloyds. Let's see how long that takes to arrive.

This account may be ok if you want to tie money up longer term, but seems to be useless for anyone wanting to move money frequently and quickly.

I feel your pain. I finally got my username in the post, one month and two days after applying for the account. I entered all my security stuff like you did, and immediately closed the account. 'Easy' Access, my a**e.
  • Ifts
    Ifts Posts: 1,952 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    edited 24 November 2017 at 10:11PM
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »

I don't use the DD to pull the money from the linked account, like you say it takes 3 days - I use Faster Payment and its usually there the same day (FP in doesn't have to be from the linked account).

Ive sent a FP today (~6pm 23/11) from a Santander account and the money is showing as credited to my BM Savings account on the same day 23/11 .

I treat it as easy rather than instant access - If not the same day (depending what time of the day the withdrawal is made) it's only a days wait making a withdrawal. I'm ok with the way it operates.

I had the old issue of this account and the rate had dropped - phoned them up and they re-designated the old issue to the new one and I got to keep the same account number and online login details.
    Never let the perfume of the premium overpower the odour of the risk
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure