Options

Comments

• Patr100
    Patr100 Posts: 2,579 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 January 2010 at 12:56AM
    Options
    rb10 wrote: »
    ... in exactly the same way as annually paid accounts operate.

Some people mistakenly believe that if, for example, they close an account paying annual interest after six months, then they won't get any interest. In fact, they will get six months' worth of interest on closure.

Sorry, I realise now you thought they believed they might lose out if they didn't have monthly interest.
    I tend to prefer monthly interest for a number of reasons, if you are drawing an income from the interest, also as suggested you can see fluctuations more easily. Also I don't like to be "In the dark" about the regular interest being credited specially with web only acounts.
    Anyway, I think the thread has moved on...
  • stphnstevey
    stphnstevey Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 January 2010 at 11:23PM
    Options
    QUOTE=Mr. H

:rotfl: Quite a lot of assumptions there.

And you - assuming everyone who misplaces an apostrophe is dumb......

What is the point of all your emotionally-charged claptrap? You will note that I did not personally attack you in any way.

What is the purpose of all your anger and hate? I honestly don't get it. My posts are light-hearted and you're blowing a gasket. Just chill out.

"Sloppy minded" is a compliment! I don't meet your "standards" is light hearted???

If you go back in this thread and find all the posts I've made, you will see that I am not trolling it as you suggest. In fact, if you search my posts across the whole forum, you will find the vast majority of them are to help others.

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

Pretty much describes your post to a T

I stand by my original post. If you are unable to do something as simple as correctly pluralise the word "Euro", why should anyone take your advise in monetary matters?

It’s advice not advise. Advise is a verb, an action-something you do. To advise is to give advice. Advice is a noun, a thing. You give or receive or take advice.

I don't like saying this, but I am actually Dyslexic and don't think everyone is a bigot like you and would disregard other peoples opinions for the sake of an apostrophe. Hopefully people have seen the true you and will heed this with your advice.

• chamelion
    chamelion Posts: 473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

I stand by my original post. If you are unable to do something as simple as correctly pluralise the word "Euro", why should anyone take your advise in monetary matters?

I don't like saying this, but I am actually Dyslexic and don't think everyone is a bigot like you and would disregard other peoples opinions for the sake of an apostrophe. Hopefully people have seen the true you and will heed this with your advice.

PS – It’s advice not advise. Advise is a verb, an action-something you do. To advise is to give advice. Advice is a noun, a thing. You give or receive or take advice.

nice catch. he's a bigot. now can you two stop being complete dicks and get back to the point of this thread? seriously, take it outside. or PM one another.
    5.41 kWp System, E-W. Installed Nov 2017
    Lux + 3 x US2000B + 2 x US3000C battery storage. Installed Mar 2020.
  • Mr._H_2
    Mr._H_2 Posts: 488 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 January 2010 at 12:40AM
    Options
    assuming everyone who misplaces an apostrophe is dumb.

I didn't say you were dumb.
    "Sloppy minded" is a compliment

When I say personal attack, I mean an attack on one's character, which I have not carried out against you at any point.
    a troll is someone who posts…with the primary intent of provoking other users

My primary intent was not to provoke you. It was to point out an error and give you the opportunity to correct it and to remind anyone else reading the thread that you don't pluralise words by sticking an apostrophe-s on the end.
    It’s advice not advise.

Touche! Well, that was my bad and I've corrected it. Thanks for pointing out the mistake.
    I don't like saying this, but I am actually Dyslexic

Me too. It means I have to be extra-careful otherwise I end up making stupid mistakes like using "advise" instead of "advice".

P.S. I'm sorry to anyone, including stphnstevey, who feels like I've been a !!!!!!. I've reported by own original post and requested the "discussion" be split into its own thread or if that's not possible for the posts to be deleted.
  • footboy
    footboy Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mr H and Stphnstevey

PLEASE stop your argument on here.

Your posts appear in all the digests of posts on this thread.

PS. No response necessary. Thanks in advance.
    :money:
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    chamelion wrote: »
    so what stops a situation like this:

bank accounts: 1x checking with another bank (e.g. first direct, in my case); 4x vantage.

day 1: 1000 salary (e.g.) paid into first-direct (to prevent the monthly fee) (automatic)
    day 2: 1000 from FD -> vantage1 (auto standing order)
    day 2: 1000 from vantage1 -> FD (standing order)
    day 3: 1000 from FD -> vantage 2 (standing order)
    day 3: 1000 from vantage 2 -> FD (standing order)
    day 4: 1000 from FD to vantage 3 (standing order)
    day 4: 1000 from vantage 3 -> FD (standing)
    day 5: 1000 from FD to Vantage 4 (standing)
    day 5: 1000 from vantage 4 to FD (standing)
    day 6: 1000 from FD to whatever normal savings account present.

Assuming each of vantage accounts have 5k-7k in them, we're talking 4% interest for up to 28k simply by having the 1k going back and forth by standing order each month and maintaining the normal 5k-7k balance in these accounts?

To sweeten the deal, day 7 add the halifax reward account so you get a fiver each month too.

on paper this looks hugely confusing and a big effort for the returns, but end of the day you're not actually *doing* anything as the entire system runs off of standing order?

Much simpler to deal with your Vantage accounts entirely separately from the other accounts, and on the same day. Choose a day mid-month (to avoid odd months where bank holidays mean a standing order set up for the 30th doesn't go till the 1st)

Day 20: 1000 from vantage1 > vantage 2
    Day 20: 1000 from vantage2 > vantage 3
    Day 20: 1000 from vantage3 > vantage 1

The £1K does NOT have to come from an external source. You just have to ensure each Vantage account receives £1K in credit each month.

Simple!
  • chamelion
    chamelion Posts: 473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    Much simpler to deal with your Vantage accounts entirely separately from the other accounts, and on the same day. Choose a day mid-month (to avoid odd months where bank holidays mean a standing order set up for the 30th doesn't go till the 1st)

Day 20: 1000 from vantage1 > vantage 2
    Day 20: 1000 from vantage2 > vantage 3
    Day 20: 1000 from vantage3 > vantage 1

The £1K does NOT have to come from an external source. You just have to ensure each Vantage account receives £1K in credit each month.

Simple!

haha ridiculous! nice catch :)
    5.41 kWp System, E-W. Installed Nov 2017
    Lux + 3 x US2000B + 2 x US3000C battery storage. Installed Mar 2020.
  • pawlala
    pawlala Posts: 1,416 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pawlala wrote: »
    can you also open a 4th Vantage account over the phone?
    sorry I had to bump my post but it got caught up in between that petty argument.

Can anyone help with my query?
  • D1zzy
    D1zzy Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Options
    pawlala wrote: »
    sorry I had to bump my post but it got caught up in between that petty argument.

Can anyone help with my query?
    Only 3 Vantage accounts allowed now.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport