🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Mattress issues

Options
Hi, I bought a new bed and mattress off eBay.
It’s from an online store. Anyway originally they sent the wrong size mattress. Which I got replaced for the right one with no real issues,
Other than the double was delivered flat and the king size was rolled,
And not advertised as such! It is a coil spring with memory foam top. Anyway I queried it straight away and was told it’s normal. I thought only foam mattresses could be rolled but anyway. I opened it and left it for 24 hrs as per their instructions. The mattress did not spring back like it should. The memory foam was flat compared to the double i was sent. My hand would sink in that one. I have been offered a replacement but it would’ve rolled again and I feel this is the problem. I asked for a different type of mattress, a pocket sprung not coil in hope it would be better. I can’t do that, they said I have to send mine back for a refund and reorder. I said I can’t wait that long as would have nothing to sleep on. Bearing in mind I’ve already spent 3 nights without a mattress due to their fault. They’ve offered 10% back if I keep it. I countered back with 20% as that would cover a mattress topper But they’ve said I can’t have more than £15 back. I paid through PayPal from my credit card - can I claim back off my credit card without having to return?

Comments

• KatrinaWaves
    Options
    I’m assuming you mean 15% not £15, or the mattress was only £100?

There was a recent thread where it seemed commonplace for cheap mattresses to come rolled regardless of type. How much did you spend? If it was £100 as above, then it’s a cheap mattress and rolling is commonplace.

No you can’t just claim money back without sending the item back. That’s theft.
  • tasharthur
    Options
    The mattress is around £140. I think there was 10% off ordering bed and mattress together. No they’ve said I can’t have more than £15 back. I really want an exchange for a different mattress but they said I have to return for a refund first, meaning I’d have wait to return mattress, then wait for refund and wait for redelivery. I’ve alrwady had to get it replaced
    As they send the wrong size first! I can’t keep taking time off work!
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You definitely get what you pay for with mattresses. Don't expect too much from a £140, king size mattress, it's at the lower end of the price (and most probably quality) scale.
  • tasharthur
    Options
    But it’s more the fact I know the mattress should be better than it is as I have said they sent a double flat and it was much better than the rolled one I had in the end. I was happy with the double it was just the wrong size lol! And surely as I’ve slept on it they can’t resell anyway.
  • KatrinaWaves
    Options
    tasharthur wrote: »
    But it’s more the fact I know the mattress should be better than it is as I have said they sent a double flat and it was much better than the rolled one I had in the end. I was happy with the double it was just the wrong size lol! And surely as I’ve slept on it they can’t resell anyway.

If you’ve slept on it you can’t return it! (Unless faulty, but crap doesn’t mean faulty!)

Why have you slept on it when you weren’t happy with it? I’d snap their hands off at the £15... they don’t have to give you anything.
  • powerful_Rogue
    Options
    A mattress that cost £140 is a rubbish mattress. I know because I have been there. A few years ago I took the plunge and spent £1000 on one. The difference is night and day.

Just think how much time you spend sleeping on one to put it into perspective.
  • tasharthur
    Options
    I haven’t got another mattress to sleep on we spent 3 nights on duvets on the floor! I can’t keep sleeping like that. It’s not crap, it’s faulty because they rolled it! And it doesn’t say these mattresses are rolled! The double wasn’t a it was much better than this one they rolled!
  • powerful_Rogue
    Options
    I haven’t got another mattress to sleep on we spent 3 nights on duvets on the floor! I can’t keep sleeping like that. It’s not crap, it’s faulty because they rolled it! And it doesn’t say these mattresses are rolled! The double wasn’t a it was much better than this one they rolled!

I'd favour the floor over a £140 mattress.
  • tasharthur
    Options
    Tbh I’ve never spent loads on a mattress. They’ve always come with the bed! Never had any comfort problems. And actually it’s comfy it’s just the memory foam has not bounced back to what it should be! Not every one has money to spend! Hence why I can’t replace it before getting a refund!! When I fact I only want an exchange for a pocket sprung as
    They can’t replacement with a non rolled mattress! And pocket springs can be rolled! I was happy with it when they sent the double but as said they rolled the king and they’ve ruined the memory foam!
  • powerful_Rogue
    Options
    Tbh I’ve never spent loads on a mattress. They’ve always come with the bed! Never had any comfort problems. And actually it’s comfy it’s just the memory foam has not bounced back to what it should be! Not every one has money to spend! Hence why I can’t replace it before getting a refund!! When I fact I only want an exchange for a pocket sprung as
    They can’t replacement with a non rolled mattress! And pocket springs can be rolled! I was happy with it when they sent the double but as said they rolled the king and they’ve ruined the memory foam!

Can I ask what phone you have?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family