PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Student House Hell - Need Advice

Options

Comments

• Broadyx
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Which repairs?

the front door - if it is as the OP describes then it isn't safe -
    Your landlord is responsible for most repair work because the law, section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, implies a term on repairs into every tenancy agreement even if the agreement is not in writing.

It means that your landlord is responsible for repairing:

the structure and exterior of your home, for example, the walls, roof, foundations, drains, guttering and external pipes, windows and external doors

just because the door locks it doesn't mean it is fit for purpose - they have stated if they lock it properly people on the outside can't get back in because the handle doesn't work...
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Broadyx wrote: »
    the front door - if it is as the OP describes then it isn't safe -

just because the door locks it doesn't mean it is fit for purpose - they have stated if they lock it properly people on the outside can't get back in because the handle doesn't work...

Yes, and as I said it's a 5 minute repair, just do it.
  • Broadyx
    Options
    Yes, and as I said it's a 5 minute repair, just do it.

and what about the door frame?

I'm not trying to argue with you, and I don't doubt it is fixable by the tenants if they know what they are doing. But the landlord has a responsibility to look after the property as well. If it is as bad as the OP says then the LL is only going to have to fix the issues when these tenants leave anyway.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    "Under Section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, you have the right to expect your landlord to carry out repairs in a ‘reasonable time’. If it’s an emergency repair as you’ve got no heating or hot water, your landlord should fix this in 24 hours."

I don't know where you got the above from but it is not a quote from Section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/70/section/11

You have of course read the sticky at the top of the board titled, "Tenancies in Eng/Wales: Guides for landlords and tenants," particularly the section on Repairing Obligations so you already know the steps to getting repairs carried out. Step 1 being the letter you have sent to the address for the serving of notices given in your tenancy agreement to report the repairs needed.
  • Wanderingpomm
    Options
    Report him to the hmo team at the council
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The boiler repair taking 10 days is perfectly normal.

I got my boiler fixed the next day at the beginning of January. Without cover.

10 days is over the top.

Some of your responses have been fair, but a lot of them haven't been. It is the LL duty to carry out repairs (mostly), provide a gas safety certificate etc. yet you seem to want to say none of it is the tenant's problem (apart from the LL not being able to evict!).

The tenants should not be changing the locks if they are broken, or if the door is not stable. I would be very annoyed if my tenants did anything that could cause more issues to the property.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lokolo wrote: »
    I got my boiler fixed the next day at the beginning of January. Without cover.

10 days is over the top.

Because all boiler problems are the same...
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Because all boiler problems are the same...

OK I shall rephrase. Someone came out the next day and managed to repair my boiler. Still. The next day. In January. Someone was available. Not difficult to understand is it Comms? You know exactly what my point was. Stop being a pedant.

The landlord could have had someone come out the next day. No, it took 2 days and without any indication that it was a gas safe engineer.
  • charlotte1994
    Options
    If you work 37.5 hours a week, that is the minimum wage....

Not if you're young! The government seems to think that bills are cheaper for young people, so we don't need to be paid the same :think:
    But even at the minimum wage £7.83 x 37.5 = £293.63/week
    £293.63 for 4 weeks = £1,174.52 before tax.

If you're a student working 20 hours a week (example) £5.90 x 20 hours = £118. £118 x 4 weeks = £472 before tax. It's not a lot of money, is it? That leaves them £92 a month for other bills.
  • charlotte1994
    Options
    Lokolo wrote: »
    OK I shall rephrase. Someone came out the next day and managed to repair my boiler. Still. The next day. In January. Someone was available. Not difficult to understand is it Comms? You know exactly what my point was. Stop being a pedant.

The landlord could have had someone come out the next day. No, it took 2 days and without any indication that it was a gas safe engineer.

Comms seems to think that everyone should just accept sh*tty living conditions. I would hate to think what state their house is in!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure