PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Student House Hell - Need Advice

Options

Comments

• charlotte1994
    Options
    Is the Land Lord a private land lord? He sounds like one of those Land Lords that doesn't care and only wants the money. You are paying an insane amount for something that isn't worth the money. When the tenancy is up, look for a house that *isn't* student. Private houses renting can often be much cheaper for you. I would say that never hold back rent, search with your council on how to report a land lord, if you feel the need to do so. Unfortunately all you can do is keep pestering them. Make sure you get everything in writing!! Texts and emails both count, just to leave a paper trail of what has been said, should anything come up in the future.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm sorry but each complaint is valid. I don't think you would like it if you had to pay over £1000 a month in an unsafe, damp, mouldy property. It's obvious the LL doesn't give a sh#t. You sound like a rogue Land Lord. I bet you wouldn't be happy if your house was in that state. :mad:

No, it is not valid.

Locks can be changed in 5 minutes (and probably should be given the LLs attitude)

The boiler repair taking 10 days is perfectly normal.

The lack of a desk?! please...

Mould and damp - there is a dehumidifier provided.

- I'm not a landlord.
    - This is a 4 person student household, 4 people, each with earning potential, each paying a very small amount of rent. I couldn't afford £1500 in rent; but then I've got kids...
    - Funnily enough I'd notice such a state when I did a viewing. it's obvious. (also most student rentals do viewings when other residents are already living there; why not ask them of any issues?)
  • Comms69
    Options
    Is the Land Lord a private land lord? He sounds like one of those Land Lords that doesn't care and only wants the money. - quite clearly, the he, is a she... You are paying an insane amount for something that isn't worth the money. When the tenancy is up, look for a house that *isn't* student. Private houses renting can often be much cheaper for you. - 1: most landlords don't want to rent to 4 students, hence the prices. 2: Most landlords don't want to run HMOs I would say that never hold back rent, search with your council on how to report a land lord, if you feel the need to do so. Unfortunately all you can do is keep pestering them. Make sure you get everything in writing!! Texts and emails both count, just to leave a paper trail of what has been said, should anything come up in the future.

Texts and emails count for what exactly? Certainly not for reporting repairs and faults.
  • babyblade41
    Options
    I don't know what constitutes student rental unless supplied by a campus so I assume it's an AST .

The locks can be changed by yourselves , relatively easy to do .

Mould is a lifestyle issue most probably and dehumidifier and the way all of you live..drying clothes on rads etc.

Heating can't always be fixed in 24 hours unless an agreement with a supplier is in place and where vulnerable people live, ie babies and the elderly which come as a priority.

A couple of portable heaters usually does the trick. I think 2 weeks is about on par especially at certain times of the year.

I wouldn't worry about an inventory as the only person who will benefit from not having one is you on leaving.

Can't comment on the rent as I don't know what comparable rents are in your area
  • charlotte1994
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    No, it is not valid.

Locks can be changed in 5 minutes (and probably should be given the LLs attitude)

The boiler repair taking 10 days is perfectly normal.

The lack of a desk?! please...

Mould and damp - there is a dehumidifier provided.

- I'm not a landlord.
    - This is a 4 person student household, 4 people, each with earning potential, each paying a very small amount of rent. I couldn't afford £1500 in rent; but then I've got kids...
    - Funnily enough I'd notice such a state when I did a viewing. it's obvious. (also most student rentals do viewings when other residents are already living there; why not ask them of any issues?)

The Land Lord has an attitude problem, you forget that he got his mate to do it, probably doesn't have a gas certificate for the house. 10 days with no hot water is not good at all.
    "Earn potential" do you realise how little money students have? I pay £400 a month rent and I work full time. That's a lot of money each when you can only work part time. Mould and damp everywhere suggests that there is a bigger problem, not the fault of the students. The landlord needs to take care of the locks. It seems like he doesn't want to spend money, but will happily take it. The state of the house is not value for money. But if you could afford that amount of rent, wouldn't you want the issues to be delt with in a timely and to an acceptable standard? It's not much to ask is it?
  • Comms69
    Options
    The Land Lord has an attitude problem, you forget that he got his mate to do it - I didn't forget that, but the OP made no mention if the 'mate' being gas safe registered or not, so I make no comment on that , probably doesn't have a gas certificate for the house. - we already know that, hence my comment about being almost 'unevictable' 10 days with no hot water is not good at all. - it's fine

"Earn potential" do you realise how little money students have? I pay £400 a month rent and I work full time. - excellent, and? If you work full time, you make approx £1300 a month That's a lot of money each when you can only work part time. - it's 12 hours a week on a min wage job.

Mould and damp everywhere suggests that there is a bigger problem, not the fault of the students. - possibly, but they've supplied a dehumidifier. The level of work required couldn't be done with them in situ anyway

The landlord needs to take care of the locks. - Nope, the door locks, that is the requirement

It seems like he doesn't want to spend money, but will happily take it. - And?

The state of the house is not value for money. But if you could afford that amount of rent, wouldn't you want the issues to be delt with in a timely and to an acceptable standard? - I wouldn't be living there... It's not much to ask is it?

Just FYI the loans and grants available this year: https://www.studentfinancewales.co.uk/undergraduate-students/new-students/student-finance-available-in-201920.aspx
  • charlotte1994
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »

If you don't see an issue with the land lord not wanting to spend money on his own house then I'm sorry but I can't argue any further. Being a land lord is another job, they need to put the work in. I hope you never end up in a situation with a sh*tty land lord. They're the worst.

Also I wish I got £1300 a month :rotfl:
  • Comms69
    Options
    If you don't see an issue with the land lord not wanting to spend money on his own house then I'm sorry but I can't argue any further. - It's the landlords decision. If she chooses to not spend money on it, it will stop being making money

Being a land lord is another job, they need to put the work in. I hope you never end up in a situation with a sh*tty land lord. They're the worst.

Also I wish I got £1300 a month :rotfl:

If you work 37.5 hours a week, that is the minimum wage....
  • Broadyx
    Options
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/renting-a-home/student-housing/students-in-private-rented-accommodation/student-housing-problems-with-repairs/

have a read of the above - and i would suggest contacting citizens advice for some help. It seemsa landlord of a student house does have responsibilities and you do have options as per the section titled "What if your landlord doesn’t do anything about the repairs?"
  • Comms69
    Options
    Broadyx wrote: »
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/renting-a-home/student-housing/students-in-private-rented-accommodation/student-housing-problems-with-repairs/

have a read of the above - and i would suggest contacting citizens advice for some help. It seemsa landlord of a student house does have responsibilities and you do have options as per the section titled "What if your landlord doesn’t do anything about the repairs?"

Which repairs?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport